[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - MS Access and Star Office 8 and MAPI

MS Access and Star Office 8 and MAPI

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

MS Access and Star Office 8 and MAPI

Postby jlaldridge54 » Wed Apr 19, 2006 1:31 am

I still believe that Barca 2 should work with MAPI. To use the above programs I must always use Thunderbird as my default email program.
I know that MAPI has security problems, but if you have a good antivirus and firewall I cannot see the problem.
jlaldridge54
Drop-in Visitor

Re: MS Access and Star Office 8 and MAPI

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 19, 2006 2:50 am

jlaldridge54 wrote:I know that MAPI has security problems, but if you have a good antivirus and firewall I cannot see the problem.
But if you get infected, it will spread throughout your entire system and use your address book to spread itself to others. :evil:
Also keep in mind that no antivirus is 100% bulletproof.

PSI will implement this when they can do it in a secure way and not before. No date has been set on this.

Sorry, but I choose for a secure system. :wink:
Eric

Postby darrellb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 3:20 am

Well, I probably shouldn't say anything because I am just an end user and have no technical qualifications when it comes to software, etc.

BUT, my limited understanding of MAPI notwithstanding, it seems to me that one of the problems with Outl**k and Outl**k Express is how the two programs interact and/or interconnect with the address book. That is the weakness and/or flaw that was/is exploited through MAPI.

What would be of interest is to discuss how (and why) other email clients, such as Th*nd*rbird and E*dora, have chosen to implement MAPI. I seem to recall that the venerable P*gasus even had a simple form of MAPI a few years ago that interacted somewhat with the then current versions of MS W*rd and other programs.

Can MAPI be implemented with a degree of security? It would seem that at least a few reputable email clients answer in the affirmative.

Let me add that, in "hanging around" the Poco discussion forums for a few years, I know that MAPI=evil in the minds of many. However, I would humbly suggest that further or continued consideration needs to be given to its implementation as there are repeated posts from users who expect the same due to their experiences with other email clients.

Respectfully submitted.

Darrell
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:02 am

Darrell,
PSI already considered implementing it in a secure way.
The only thing we don't know is when it will be done. :roll:
Eric

Postby darrellb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:23 am

Eric, thank you for your reply and the hours that you give to answering queries on this forum.
PSI already considered implementing it in a secure way.
The only thing we don't know is when it will be done.

In my review and search of this forum, I do not find a commitment from Poco to implement MAPI.

As close as it comes is in a post from June 17, 2005, wherein Jim Dada wrote (regarding Barca, MAPI, and Picassa2):
MAPI will also introduce serious weaknesses into Barca. My guess is some people will rather not have this weakness. We have thought about this on many occasions, and we will continue to do so until we have a satisfactory solution.

In a later post, Jim agreed that some sort of MAPI option was "most likely the way to go."

All this to say that perhaps Pocosystems would like to take this opportunity to update end users on the direction they are taking on this :wink:

On a personal note, some sort of simple MAPI implementation has long been on my secret wish list of Poco improvements and I am often tempted by other email clients that feature such. Alas, I always come back home to Poco since its many other features cannot be matched by the others, IMHO.

Darrell
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:14 am

darrellb wrote:Eric, thank you for your reply and the hours that you give to answering queries on this forum.
My pleasure helping fellow users. :wink:
In my review and search of this forum, I do not find a commitment from Poco to implement MAPI.
You won't find any commitment, even in the beta section. As I already said they are considering all the possibilities.
All this to say that perhaps Pocosystems would like to take this opportunity to update end users on the direction they are taking on this :wink:
Maybe they will, maybe they won't.
It's their decision to reveal something about their future plans.
On a personal note, some sort of simple MAPI implementation has long been on my secret wish list of Poco improvements and I am often tempted by other email clients that feature such.
As it has been with several other users, but it remains their decision.
Alas, I always come back home to Poco since its many other features cannot be matched by the others, IMHO.
Won't change from email client because of this IMHO. I for one chose PSI for a secure email client and the ease of use, as well as the features it offers. 8)

Like I said before, security or functionality, what do you prefer? :wink:
Eric

Postby darrellb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:44 am

Eric:
You won't find any commitment, even in the beta section. As I already said they are considering all the possibilities.
Maybe they will, maybe they won't.
It's their decision to reveal something about their future plans.
As it has been with several other users, but it remains their decision.

Having a forum section labelled "General Discussion" implies that some "give-and-take" is allowed. Whether or not you intended it, the "it's their decision" response leaves the impression that there is no point in end users discussing the matter.

Of course, I know the implementation of MAPI is Pocosystem's decision but I would hope that the suggestions of end users are considered. IMHO, the attentiveness and responsiveness displayed by Pocosystems to the concerns and suggestions of end users has made Pocomail the great email client it is. (I am not a user of Barca, so I will leave it to others to sing its praises.)

Like I said before, security or functionality, what do you prefer?

Both. I want to have my cake and to eat it as well. :)

Security without functionality is like having a house with all of the doors locked so that you are forced to crawl through a window to get in and out.

'Nuff said.

Darrell
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:51 am

darrellb wrote:Of course, I know the implementation of MAPI is Pocosystem's decision but I would hope that the suggestions of end users are considered.
Sure they listen to their end users, but the decision remains with them on how they will implement it.
You only have to participate to the betas and then you'll know how it goes. :)
IMHO, the attentiveness and responsiveness displayed by Pocosystems to the concerns and suggestions of end users has made Pocomail the great email client it is. (I am not a user of Barca, so I will leave it to others to sing its praises.)
They do their best, considering the resources they have.
Can't complain about Barca though.
Security without functionality is like having a house with all of the doors locked so that you are forced to crawl through a window to get in and out.
Sure, but if that functionality breaks your lock, then you've got a bigger problem. :shock: :wink:
Eric

Postby darrellb » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:27 am

You only have to participate to the betas and then you'll know how it goes.

I do Eric. And I do know how it goes. :roll:

And I don't believe that I suggested that Pocosystems are not doing their best.

My original post was about how I understood MAPI was exploited in MS email clients and an observation that at least three other reputable non-MS email clients appear to have implemented it in a secure manner. What Pocosystems decides to do is their business but it seems to me that there is evidence MAPI can be made secure.

This is the last word from me in this thread as it has gone way off the original track.

Darrell
darrellb
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:33 am

darrellb wrote:This is the last word from me in this thread as it has gone way off the original track.
No problem Darrell, besides it's nice to go once in a while a bit off track. :lol:
Eric

Return to General Discussion