[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Script for making "day specific" backups

Script for making "day specific" backups

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Script for making "day specific" backups

Postby R. patrick Sutton » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:23 am

For some reason, I keep running into corruption issues with my PocoMail files. Mailboxe indexes get corrupted and I am no longer able to acccess blocks of messages - one time it was 8 weeks worth. This morning, I opened up my PM4 and it said "no accounts created". Well, yesterday there were 7 accounts in PM4! I went to the program folder and sure enough the accounts.ini file said zero kb. I had a backup from yesterday so I just copied the accounts.ini file fom yesterday and replaced the one that zero kb and everything was fine. But I have another concern in regard to my backups. Poco Makes a backup every day - but each new backup overwrites the previous one. If I this account.ini file had gotten corrupted at the end of the day and I had not caught it, poco would have made a backup of the corrupted accounts.ini file and that would have overwritten my good backup with corrupt data. Is there a script or some other automatic way to make backups that are day specific, like Monday -Tuesday-Wednesady etc. That way, if I have data loss or curruption that is not caught before a backup is made, I will still have the previous backup to rely on.

Thanks alot for any and all help -

Patrick
Patrick Sutton

SoftBuyers, Inc.
Chicago ~ Austin ~ Cincinnati
10809 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60628-3409

Web: www.softbuyers.com

"We specialize in turning unwanted software and hardware into cash for your company"
R. patrick Sutton
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Michael » Wed Apr 26, 2006 3:49 am

One thought, take a look at the pocobackup script I wrote, it's in the extras area (this was the genesis of the backup facility in Poco). This script is more than 5 years old so there may be other files that need to be added to it.

It shouldn't be too difficult to modify the script to do what you are asking for. I do wonder though why you are experiencing such a high degree of corruption, that's very unusual.
Michael

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:02 am

I do wonder though why you are experiencing such a high degree of corruption, that's very unusual.

Michael is certainly correct in this observation.

If I were you, I'd be a LOT more worried about viruses or other problems in my system than worried about putting a bandaid on Poco. It is certainly not Poco that would be causing consistent corruption like this -- altho it's possible I suppose that it is the Poco installation itself that is corrupted somehow.

First step would likely be to write down (or take screen shots which is easier) all your Poco options and configuration data (such as accounts); do a fresh install of Poco; import only the email data from the old install (not poco.ini, account.ini, filters.ini, etc); reset all your options and configuration manually into that fresh install.

Note you could use a minimal system for a while, and if the corruption stops, move over the filters.ini file and other configuration files from the old installation (one at a time, then more testing, but never the poco.ini file) to save re-entering all that stuff.
Sandy

Postby R. patrick Sutton » Wed Apr 26, 2006 4:28 am

Hi Sandy -

With all due respect, I am not trying to put "band-aid" on anything. I have discusse the data corruption issues with Jim Dada, Salvin, and others over a 2-1/2 yr period. I had the same corruption issues with pocomail 3 and Barca. I do not doubt your assumption that poco is sound, but I have done so much over the last 2-1/ 2 years to find and fix the problem that I must now learn to live with it somehow as PocoMail is the perfect email program for me. In the last 2-1/2 years, I have:

1.) Done over 5 complete disk reformats and reinstalaltion of all my software, including PocoMail.

2.) I have tried installing both Barca and Poco in over 7 different directories.

3.) have had my computer comlletely scruubed for all virus and spyware on a regualr basis BY PROFESSIONALS

4.) I have tried various virus scanners and utilities

5.) I have simultaneoulsy run Outllok, Act!, Mozilla thunderbird, and GoldMine email clients alongside poco/barca at various times and none of them suffered any data coruuption, but the pcoc/barca files did. In addition, I have no other data acorruption problems on my computer.

5.) I have even gone as far as replacing my hard drive, only to have the same problems occur.

NONE of these efforts have worked. I have had gold level tech suport form Dell as well as a good friend who is an IT troubleshooter for a well know Chicago based software designer looking intothe problem for nearly a year and they are completely stumped. All they can say is there must be some low-level software conflict between a program I am running and Poco. And since I am not about to re-install al the programs I use one at a time and watch for a possible conflict with Poco, having agood backup is the most eficient way I can come up with to work around this problem.
Patrick Sutton

SoftBuyers, Inc.
10809 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60628-3409

"We specialize in turning unwanted software and hardware into cash for your company"
R. patrick Sutton
Drop-in Visitor

Postby MarkB » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:01 am

I guess you have explored, and rejected, the idea of having an ordinary backup utility scheduled to do seven weekly backups, one on Monday, one on Tuesday, etc., to seven backup folders.
MarkB
Poco Enthusiast

Hi Mark

Postby R. patrick Sutton » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:06 am

actually, I do not use a backup program per se - I use "folder clone" by salty brine sofware and I am just now looking into the possibility of configuring it to do just what you are suggesting.

Thanks for chiming in!

Patrick
Patrick Sutton

SoftBuyers, Inc.
10809 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60628-3409

R. patrick Sutton
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Sandy » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:27 am

I have done so much over the last 2-1/ 2 years to find and fix the problem.....

You certainly have! :)

I have only 1 question....in all those Poco re-installs, did you import (or simple copy) the old poco.ini file to the new install?

The most common reason I have seen for Poco behaving in a non-standard way (as it clearly does on your system) is fouled up poco.ini files resulting from the same poco.ini file being used in multiple installations -- especially if there were version changes involved.

I would agree with you that there is a software conflict on your system......(perhaps even with "'folder clone' by salty brine software" -- that would certainly be the first place I'd look).
Sandy

Postby R. patrick Sutton » Wed Apr 26, 2006 5:58 am

Hi Sand y-

I don't recall if I ever copied the poco.ini files - I know I did import them and even went as far a to manually input the settings on 2 of the installs - then I jsut imported the backed-up mailboxes.

I'm curious why you mentioned folder clone as a possible culprit - have you had bad expereinces with it? It has worked very well for me through these last years - they have won numerous awards and were chosen by the huge corp Glaxco to be their backup solution. I have never used it with Poco - I always used poco's backup scripts or backup option. I ma just now today looking into using it as a backup solution for Poco.

thanks-

Patrick
Patrick Sutton

SoftBuyers, Inc.
10809 South State Street
Chicago, IL 60628-3409

R. patrick Sutton
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To