[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Sync with Pocket PC?

Sync with Pocket PC?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Sync with Pocket PC?

Postby davis85@seanet.com » Mon Oct 09, 2006 11:05 am

Is it possible to sync Barca with my Pocket PC?
davis85@seanet.com
New Arrival

Postby robin » Mon Oct 09, 2006 7:55 pm

Not yet - although I am aware that work is going on in this area. I can't give you any idea of dates though :(
robin

Postby apok » Mon Oct 16, 2006 9:41 am

I doubt we'll ever see it. It's been said Pocosystems wants to do Palm sync first, and that's been in beta for years.
apok
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:25 am

Palm synch is still in beta mainly because of problems on Palm Inc. side. I have ceased (temporarily) using Palm myself months ago, but from what I know from years of using it, all the developers were constantly working on workarounds about bugs, problems and incompatibilities introduced by Palm company.

As for PPC synch, last time it was told that it will start in near future, like Robin says. Most probably after the release of myInfoToGo, that was the most detailed time specification that I could remember.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:27 am

apok wrote:I doubt we'll ever see it. It's been said Pocosystems wants to do Palm sync first, and that's been in beta for years.
Don't speculate please. :?

As announced previously Palm sync has been abandonned.
Not because PSI didn't want to make it, but because of PalmOne creating the problems in the first place. Same applies to Palm Software, where developers don't receive SDK's needed for all those new Palm devices. :cry:
It's uncertain at present to know which way Palm is going.
One day they chose that way and the next day a completely diferent direction. :roll:

Robin answered that PPC sync is in the works, which is true.
As to know when the beta will start, that's something PSI has to decide whether it's ready for all those eager beta-testers. :lol:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:33 am

I'm sorry for misinformation on the Palm side. I have been away for too long, or must have missed number of posts.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby robin » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:38 am

robin

Postby Eric » Mon Oct 16, 2006 10:38 am

Tomas wrote:I'm sorry for misinformation on the Palm side. I have been away for too long, or must have missed number of posts.
No need to feel sorry about it Tomas.
You can't know all. :wink:
Eric

Postby Jim » Wed Oct 18, 2006 3:31 am

robin wrote:Looks like Palm has joined the windows Mobile bandwagon :? :shock:

We spent a lot of time on the CE sync, but ran into lots of problem. We have not abandoned the CE sync, but progress on development is pretty slow at this time.
Jim

Postby RBernier » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:38 am

Jim wrote:We spent a lot of time on the CE sync, but ran into lots of problem. We have not abandoned the CE sync, but progress on development is pretty slow at this time.

Jim,

Thank you for the update. Although hearing of further delays in the PPC sync is a little disappointing, I am glad to hear that there is still a commitment to have a PPC sync.

Regards,
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Postby Jim » Fri Oct 20, 2006 1:11 am

RBernier wrote:
Jim wrote:We spent a lot of time on the CE sync, but ran into lots of problem. We have not abandoned the CE sync, but progress on development is pretty slow at this time.

Jim,

Thank you for the update. Although hearing of further delays in the PPC sync is a little disappointing, I am glad to hear that there is still a commitment to have a PPC sync.

Regards,

Thanks. I will be able to provide more update soon.
Jim

Postby Paul Brasington » Wed Oct 25, 2006 3:36 am

Some of the other PIMs out there (DoOrganiser, Time and Chaos) also seem to be struggling with this - blaming Microsoft for changing the ground rules with Windows Mobile 5. Don't know the truth of that, though I'd say recent versions of ActiveSync are a step backwards and in the case of my Dell Axim 51v caused a known-problem with battery drain. I also see that at this point in time they've not been able to sort out the PDA sync for Vista, which seems insane, not that I'll be rushing to upgrade.

But I really hope the Poco guys can crack this. At the moment I'm just using Barca for email, because I have to maintain my contacts and calendar on Outlook, but I could have achieved that with Pocomail, and I really would like to dump Outlook completely.

I don't think I'll ever use Outlook again for email, not least because it's so difficult to manage flexible archiving, but there are still good lessons to be learnt from Outlook 2007 for Barca's calendar and contact modules, and I hope we'll see them reflected in Barca 3 ...
PaulB
Paul Brasington
Poco Tourist

Postby Jim » Thu Oct 26, 2006 12:49 pm

Paul Brasington wrote:Some of the other PIMs out there (DoOrganiser, Time and Chaos) also seem to be struggling with this - blaming Microsoft for changing the ground rules with Windows Mobile 5. Don't know the truth of that, though I'd say recent versions of ActiveSync are a step backwards and in the case of my Dell Axim 51v caused a known-problem with battery drain. I also see that at this point in time they've not been able to sort out the PDA sync for Vista, which seems insane, not that I'll be rushing to upgrade.

But I really hope the Poco guys can crack this. At the moment I'm just using Barca for email, because I have to maintain my contacts and calendar on Outlook, but I could have achieved that with Pocomail, and I really would like to dump Outlook completely.

I don't think I'll ever use Outlook again for email, not least because it's so difficult to manage flexible archiving, but there are still good lessons to be learnt from Outlook 2007 for Barca's calendar and contact modules, and I hope we'll see them reflected in Barca 3 ...

You raised some good points. The changing standards is a big part of the problem.
Jim

Postby knobby » Wed Nov 01, 2006 11:41 pm

Well I've been using Pcocmail for over a year now, but have held off with Barca due to no synch with PocketPC. I think I've waited long enough and can't continue to use two systems where one should do it all.

So, sorry Poco, but I'm another lost customer I'm afraid. I do wish you well for the future.
knobby
Drop-in Visitor

Postby RBernier » Wed Nov 08, 2006 11:37 pm

Since Poco Systems is having difficulty developing a synchronization tool for the Pocket PC, has there been any consideration given to partnering with a developer who has managed to solve the Windows Mobile 5.0 problems. One company in particular that I am thinking of is Companion Link. Chaos Software offers a Pocket PC sync solution, but they could not overcome the problems with the Windows Mobile 5.0 synchronization. Chaos Software has now anounced that they have partnered with Companion Link. This could be a possible solution for PSI. I have no doubt that PSI's sales will really take off once they provide full synchronization for their products.

Regards,
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion