[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Norton Antivirus 2006

Norton Antivirus 2006

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Norton Antivirus 2006

Postby 1seer7 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:32 am

How do I put the toolbar plugin for Norton into Barca? It filters spam really well in Outlook but I don't know how to get it to load into Barca.
1seer7
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:32 am

Hi 1seer7 & welcome to Poco Forums, :D

You can't use that toolbar plugin inside Barca, since it's only intended to be used with Outlook & some others I guess. :?
Eric

bummer

Postby 1seer7 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:26 am

As much as I dislike Norton; it came bundled on my puter and its a pain to try to get it all off..once its there. I did like the 'inside spam' filter. Why doesn't Barca have buttons for the toolbar for Junk and such?? So far my junk filter isn't working well.

Thank you for the welcome.
1seer7
New Arrival

Re: bummer

Postby Eric » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:08 pm

1seer7 wrote:As much as I dislike Norton; it came bundled on my puter and its a pain to try to get it all off..once its there. I did like the 'inside spam' filter.
Yep, that happens 90% on all computers we buy. :(
To get rid of it remove it through Software and reboot your computer. Afterwards use SymNRT to remove the remnants.
Use a good registry cleaner like RegSupreme, Ace Utilities, TuneUp Utilities or free RegSeeker, Ccleaner.
Remove also all directories left on your HD from Symantec.
Reboot again and you'll be able to install another antivirus of your choice without having conflicts from Norton. :)

It needs a bit of work, but once removed you'll be happy to get rid of it, as I did.

:!: There are many good free spamfilters available, like K9, Spamihilator (+ plugins), SpamPal, PopFile and MailWasher. Just be careful not to use the Bounce feature.
Why doesn't Barca have buttons for the toolbar for Junk and such?? So far my junk filter isn't working well.
Barca doesn't have buttons on the Toolbar, but there are buttons above the Preview Pane.

I also would suggest to move your DBGood.ini and DBSpam.ini to another location after you've closed Barca.
Change the settings of the Junk Mail filter and start over.
Sometimes it needs to be tweaked to perfection to get good results.
Thank you for the welcome.
You're welcome. :wink:
Eric

Postby Bare » Tue Nov 07, 2006 6:07 am

I use Norton 2006 for Anti-Virus and SPAM blocking...

What I've done to use it with Barca is as follows:

When Norton flags an email as SPAM... It adds specific text to the beginning of the subject line.

I then created a rule within Barca to move those emails to the Junk Folder.

Since, Norton's Anti Spam works at the Windows API level... it still checks for spam when any email program gets mail.. So, I just use this rule method. It works for now.

I hope this helps..

If anyone has a better way, please let us know ;)
..:: Bare ::..
Bare
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Nov 07, 2006 7:05 am

Bare wrote:I use Norton 2006 for Anti-Virus and SPAM blocking...
From what I've read version 2006 & 2007 are a big improvement compared to the previous versions. :)
Having been disappointed with Symantec more then once, I'm not returning to it. :lol:

However if it works for you, please do use it.
If anyone has a better way, please let us know ;)
Don't have anything to add, since you can't control it from within Poco/Barca. A filter rule should do it. :P
Eric

Return to Email Hall