[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Enhancement discussion ?

Enhancement discussion ?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Enhancement discussion ?

Postby saoir » Fri Nov 03, 2006 12:43 pm

Hi all,

Is there any discussion these days about enhancements ? I am looking forward to some enhancements to the Calendar section.

I would love to see the appointment reminder function expanded so that I could monitor what reminders are outstanding for the day or for the coming week.

I am desparately searching for a contacts program to help me get a grip on my business networking contacts, to keep their contact details, to keep a record on contacts/meetings/phone calls etc and to keep track of when I am to follow up with them.

Barca is so close to fullfilling this kind of role !
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Andreas » Sat Nov 04, 2006 5:21 am

Well, I would also like to see some enhancements. Better support for composing HTML messages is on top of my list: Real wysiwyg and proper forwarding/quoting of HTML messages.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Bruce » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:46 pm

Andreas wrote:Well, I would also like to see some enhancements. Better support for composing HTML messages is on top of my list: Real wysiwyg and proper forwarding/quoting of HTML messages.

Exactly that. Then maybe I would have a chance of switching my colleagues in Berlin to PM from TBird.
Bruce
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:00 pm

Here are a few I would like to see.

Under a folders Properites an addition to customize a folders Block Images, Sanitize HTML and Ignore HTML settings. In general I keep Block Images enabled; however, there are folders that I filter messages to that I don't want images blocked. For example my typhoon alert messages or some news groups. I also have a couple of specific folders I want to always Sanitize or Block HTML. Right now I have to remember to set at least Block Images before moving to another folder.

Better rendering and handling of HTML.

A more flexible PocoScript. Right now it can do wonders, but I would like to see it interface more with PocoMail (Barca) it self. I does allow for some menu manipulation but more is needed.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Dutchman » Sun Nov 05, 2006 6:43 am

Andreas wrote:Well, I would also like to see some enhancements. Better support for composing HTML messages is on top of my list: Real wysiwyg and proper forwarding/quoting of HTML messages.

I fully agree. An option to use the IE engine for this would be nice, because that would take care of these issues I think. (I'm not concerned about security risks, I take care of Spam outside of Poco).

Another thing I would like is the ability to display the address book entries as one line each plus the ability to sort them by Nickname.

Ron
Dutchman
Drop-in Visitor

Postby saoir » Sun Nov 05, 2006 9:39 am

Personally I would like to keep htmla out of Pocomail/Barca as much as possible. Right now it seems about right to me.

I am also dissapointed that the script area and the skin area are so dead. I thought this would be a great fun area for users of Pocomail/Barca.

There are many small improvements I would like to see but I started this thread aiming to discuss the Calendar and it's functions..

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Jim » Sun Nov 05, 2006 11:06 am

saoir wrote:Personally I would like to keep htmla out of Pocomail/Barca as much as possible. Right now it seems about right to me.

I am also dissapointed that the script area and the skin area are so dead. I thought this would be a great fun area for users of Pocomail/Barca.

There are many small improvements I would like to see but I started this thread aiming to discuss the Calendar and it's functions..

Saoir

We are having discussions within PSI as to where we want to the above mentioned features. At this point, majority of our time is spent on MyInfoTogo and the PDA sync.
Jim

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Nov 05, 2006 1:21 pm

saoir wrote:Personally I would like to keep htmla out of Pocomail/Barca as much as possible. Right now it seems about right to me.
I sort of agree, but it should be user controlled. Biggest problem is trying to respond to HTML messages or sometime even reading them.

As I mentioned in my last post, me too.

There are many small improvements I would like to see but I started this thread aiming to discuss the Calendar and it's functions.
Yes indeed you did. You lead in question on you first post though sort of opened the flood gate. ;)

As for Barca, I don't use it right now. Date handling was my biggest complaint. Dates only go back to 2/1/1900. When clicking on the calender on a blank date you start at 1/1/1980. Date are also a pain to enter or change. This was a show stopper for me.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby saoir » Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:49 am

chrisretusn wrote:Biggest problem is trying to respond to HTML messages or sometime even reading them.

I might as well give up on the "Subject" ;)

Wrt html, I have been using Pocomail/Barca for three or more years now, personally and in business and I can honestly say the following;

I have never received a html email that was messed up or difficult to read.
I have never had a problem replying to one. The quoted section falls apart but that has never ever hindered a simple reply. If anyone were to send me a html email and expect a line by line reply they would get a rocket from me telling them to stick to email and not screw it up with web issues.
I personally would never forward a html email to another person. Email is for text. The web is for html in my opinion. The only exception is newsletters, which should not need or require a response. Imho.

And you have to admit that your issue with dates is very obscure... ;) with respect :)
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby juror56 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:47 am

saoir wrote:I have never received a html email that was messed up or difficult to read.
I have never had a problem replying to one. The quoted section falls apart but that has never ever hindered a simple reply. If anyone were to send me a html email and expect a line by line reply they would get a rocket from me telling them to stick to email and not screw it up with web issues.

Well I have received them on a regular basis. :evil:

In a previous rant I noted:
"I get emails from Xerox to update the meter readings for my photocopier. The HTML e-mail has yellow boxes to enter the date, meter reading, and comments. You can only enter data in the yellow boxes.

The message shows up properly in Becky!, Thunderbird, (edit: Outlook) WordPerfect Mail, and Courier clients, yet in PocoMail (4.1.0.3650) I get the text, but no color, and no formatting. Therefore I either phone in the reading (and thus have no record of it) or reply in another program."

I personally would never forward a html email to another person. Email is for text. The web is for html in my opinion. The only exception is newsletters, which should not need or require a response. Imho.

With all due respect, and to paraphrase an old commercial here in the US, "Email...it's not just for text any more"

And, as I said previously, if all other clients I have tried can read and render them correctly and allow me to use the message to reply, then this is obviously something PM needs to get right.

Stomping our little feet, rolling on the floor and holding our breath until our face turns blue (aka "Having a Classic Temper Tantrum") will not change the fact...HTML E-mail is here to stay, including ones that require a response. PM has to get with the program and get it right.

Just my .02 worth
juror56
Poco Tourist

Postby saoir » Mon Nov 13, 2006 11:11 am

juror56 wrote:With all due respect, and to paraphrase an old commercial here in the US, "Email...it's not just for text any more"
I respect your views, but pandering to commercial efforts who try to exploit their own private interests doesn't make -Email-not-only-for-text - correct.

If such an issue is so overwhelmingly important to you I believe you have no alternative but to move to a webstyle mail program.

I myself will continue to suggest to Pocosystems that it should resist giving in to this dubiously motivated webifying (no not by you :) by commercial interests) of email, and compromising security and taking up development time.

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Andreas » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:15 pm

saoir wrote:If such an issue is so overwhelmingly important to you I believe you have no alternative but to move to a webstyle mail program.

I think that this issue is not only important to juror56, but to a lot more people (including myself). If all those people would follow your suggestion and move to another e-mail program, PSI will have a commercial problem. So it is in PSI's own interest to provide better HTML support.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby robin » Mon Nov 13, 2006 9:13 pm

While I don't come down with one side or the other on this argument, I do agree with Andreas' point that Poco Systems need to follow the commercial lead - if that is what the majority of customers want then Poco should go that way. Sticking to a firmly-held belief that leads to reducing product sales helps no-one.
robin

Postby saoir » Wed Nov 15, 2006 2:57 am

If that were true - I would agree, fully.

However I believe it is a small minority. This leaves the decision with Pocosystems.

Maybe someone should start a poll...? just as a taster ?
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby mcrain » Wed Nov 15, 2006 3:27 pm

I for one think you will find in todays business world that Text Only email is by far the minority. HTML mail is the current business standard from what I see in communicating with various corporations every day. I actually can't remember the last time I received a text only mail in the course of business. Companies including the company I work for mandate email format with embedded logos and disclaimer footers and rich text signatures.

Complete, professional level HTML support is a must, whether we like it or not.

--
Mike
mcrain
Resident Poster

Next

Return to General Discussion