[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - POCO and AV Protection

POCO and AV Protection

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

POCO and AV Protection

Postby airlink » Fri Nov 24, 2006 7:30 pm

I have recently installed a copy of PocoMail, I pick up my webmail via my POP3 Account usually. At the time of installation I had AVG free and AntiVir installed but found that AVG took so long to scan I lost invariably lost my connection after switiching to Pocomail. After considering some of the advices within this forum I have now uninstalled both AVG Free and AntiVir programmes and replaced with Avast free which is working fine and the login problems cleared. I notice however that Avast Free does not have email protection, does this mean that I am at risk or am I covered by the AV protection of the web email server. :?
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:49 pm

My Avast install has 7 modules, internet mail being one of them.

It works with pop, smtp, imap and nntp protocols.

I don't use that module so no experience with it, all I know it's there.

Hopefully it will work for you.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby airlink » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:53 pm

Thanks, is it the free edition you are using ?
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:57 pm

Yes, 4.7-892, free edition, but not English language version. Double click on the tray icon reveals the list of modules. Internet mail is second from the end.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby airlink » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:14 pm

Thanks again, looks the same as yours 4-7 7 providers. Its just that when AVG Free was installed, you had confirmation that the email was scanned, now there is nothing, just trust I guess.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:07 am

It ads text information to the body of the message.

Maybe try the advanced tab of internet mail module settings, it looks like it might have some notification options (not sure how exactly it works).
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby airlink » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:17 am

How do you access the advanced tab please ?
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Nov 25, 2006 12:28 am

Avast free, AVG does have email protection, always did. :)
Antivir free (Avira) doesn't have that.

:!: A good advice is to never have two antivirus programs installed, in order to avoid BSOD's, crashes, slowdowns and lowering your protection. The same applies to a software firewall.

If I remember you do have to double-click on the icon in your systray and selecting Email protection, I guess.
It's been too long since I've used it, but do look around in your settings.

Try otherwise to send Eicar anti-virus software test. :wink:
Eric

Postby airlink » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:05 am

Thanks Eric, access to the internet menu confirmed that POP3 and SMTP are scanning.
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:15 am

airlink wrote:How do you access the advanced tab please ?

here is the screenshot...but it's not in English :(

Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby airlink » Sat Nov 25, 2006 1:32 am

Thanks again, thats the menu that I got and confirmed I am OK
airlink
Frequent Visitor

Postby ankupan » Sat Dec 16, 2006 5:18 pm

ankupan
Resident Poster

Re: POCO and AV Protection

Postby saoir » Sun Jan 07, 2007 7:40 am

airlink wrote: I notice however that Avast Free does not have email protection, does this mean that I am at risk or am I covered by the AV protection of the web email server. :?
I changed to Avast free two years ago and it has been abs brilliant. It DOES have email protection at it's core. It also has P2P, chat, Web, Network and other protection as standard.
I would stay away from AVG and Nod. Avast is the business imho.

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Return to Email Hall