[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Having a little trouble understanding.

Having a little trouble understanding.

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Having a little trouble understanding.

Postby Zev0 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 2:23 am

I've scoured the forum and read through the docs. It all seems kind of greek to me :). This Junk Mail and bayesian filter stuff. Am I correct in assuming that if I drag what I consider spam to the junk folder it will learn that is spam? And are there any settings that I need to check. Sorry to sound rather dumb, but I'm like 65 and this spam filter stuff is a little over my head.
Zev0
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Hogyt » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:49 am

If you have enabled automatic junk mail filtering in Tools->Junk Mail Filtering then you are correct in assuming that if you drag mail to the junk filter it will be learned as spam. Likewise, if you drag mail out of the junk mailbox and in to another mailbox it will be learned as ham. You can also use the "File as Junk" and "Classify as Good" buttons (the red cross and the green tick in the preview pane) to achieve the same results.

In Tools->Filters there should be a filter with 'type' 'On all mail' and 'action' 'Run junk mail filters' which you want ticked so that incoming mail goes through the spam filters (it will probably already be ticked).

To convince yourself it is working you can view the total numbers of words learnt as good words and junk words before and after moving your mail. From reading other peoples posts it seems like a lot of spam/ham is needed before the Bayes filter performs well.

I hope that makes sense! :)
Last edited by Hogyt on Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Having a little trouble understanding.

Postby Eric » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:52 am

Hi Zev0,
I'll try to answer your questions, but there are others more qualified in this field.
Zev0 wrote:Am I correct in assuming that if I drag what I consider spam to the junk folder it will learn that is spam?
:D Yes, you're correct.
Drag and dropping a message into Junk Mail mailbox will automatically learn it as junk, while moving a message out of Junk Mail mailbox will automatically learn it as good, and declassify it as junk. Rightclicking on the message and performing 'Classify as Junk' or 'Classify as Junk and Move' will accomplish the same.
:idea: There're some topics on this subject, so maybe doing a search on Junk or Bayesian will give you some more info.
And are there any settings that I need to check.
Just be sure that Junk Mail Filtering is enabled by checking the box (CTRL+F4). You can also choose to run the Standard Non-Bayesian filters alongside the Bayesian or Strict Bayesian.
Sorry to sound rather dumb, but I'm like 65 and this spam filter stuff is a little over my head.
I'm 25 years younger, but like you, it's way over my head. As long as it works, and it does, the rest can be learned in time.

I hope this helps a bit. :wink:

:oops: Mat beat me to it. :lol:
Eric

Postby Hogyt » Sat Aug 28, 2004 5:56 am

hehe, only just Eric ;-) Two replies saying the same thing are better than one reply or than two replies saying something different! :-D
Mat
Hogyt
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Zev0 » Sat Aug 28, 2004 7:22 am

Thanks guys. That helps me out alot.
Zev0
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To