[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Pocomail/Barca Future?

Pocomail/Barca Future?

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby J-Mac » Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:56 am

Sandy,

Sorry I missed those - you have been requesting those for quite a long time now.

And yes, Sandy has always been PSI's biggest defender - I can attest to that. I was concerned too, because I hadn't seen you around in some time. Good to "see" you again.
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 11:51 am

Slaven, since the bug tracking system you refer to is not accessable by users re your comment:

Apart from our existing bug and suggestions database we are now also using the support ticketing system to track suggestions and bug reports. The only problem you may have with it is that it's not public.

could you dump a list from this bug tracking system of all the outstanding bug reports (most of which, if not all of which, I supplied steps to reproduce the bug) I have reported during the last 2 years which remain unresolved in the latest public release (build 3650), and post them to this thread?

The last time you and I discussed this issue, you said that I had no option but to re-report the bugs from time to time since there was no method to track them. I'd like to know which of my several reported reproducable bugs are being tracked in your new bug tracking system.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:03 pm

I was concerned too, because I hadn't seen you around in some time.

J-Mac, I stoped posting replies some time ago when I became so frustrated with PSI's apparent lack of commitment to fixing or tracking known reproducable bugs. A few months ago I even stopped lurking in the forums. I sort of "moved on".

I stopped by the forum yesterday to see if there was a new release that fixed some of these basic flaws. There was no new release, but I did read a month old post from Robin who expressed very similar concerns as my own regarding support. I've learned to respect Robin's approach, so I figured things hadn't changed much. Then in a very recent post that I saw that Tomas (always a reliable poster in the past) was hired to provide PSI support. This brightened my day......it gave me hope.

I'd love to be back in the "Poco supporter" column but not until I see concrete evidence that support management at PSI has vastly improved.
Sandy

Postby Slaven » Sun Dec 03, 2006 12:41 pm

Sandy, I have your name associated with three problems although I think you brought several other to the fore but they are attached to whoever reported them:

HTML formatting not preserved during Forward As Attachment
Tabbing out of address field duplicates email
Attachments renamed to EXE not being extracted on receipt
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:48 am

Slaven, I composed a rather long msg containing info on various bugs I've reported, but I can't seem to submit it (or preview it even). I get the following msg when I try:

"You don't have permission to access /forum/posting.php on this server."

I can however, apparently, submit a very simple msg such as this.
Sandy

Postby Tomas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:17 am

Sandy wrote:"You don't have permission to access /forum/posting.php on this server."

We have just been solving this on another site elsewhere, that runs different forum software, and as awkward as it might seem the conclusion was that it was something with the server security setting. Some letter clusters apparently were raising red flag. Maybe this might be similar reason.
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:18 am

Slaven, I am heartened that you replied and were able to list at least one of the reproducible bugs I've reported in the last 2 years. One of them is a bug I reported ("Tabbing out of address field duplicates email"). The others are not except that perhaps I commented on those 2 issues in the forum when someone else reported them.

In any case, since PSI seems to be focused on doing a better job of tracking reported problems, I have taken the time (one last time) to concisely list most of the bug reports I have made in the last 2 years that remain unresolved (and apparently have not been tracked). I hope PSI finds this info useful, and has ways of tracking progress:

Here is the one you already mentioned:
Code: Select all
DUPLICATE ADDRESS ERROR
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1. Create a Reply to a message.

2. Note the sender's address is on the TO line as expected. Now type in a comma after that single email address (a comma + space does just as well)

3. After the comma, type in enough of a new name into the TO line until Poco comes up with a unique single email address (if you select an address from the drop down list of, say all Jims, the error will not occur).

4. Tab away from the TO line

5. You will note that the email address you added has been duplicated on the TO line.

Interestingly, if you type enough of the name to make it unique as in step 3 above, but add a comma after that partial name (even tho you do not intend to add other names), the duplication does not occur.

The bug will also occur if you erase what ever is in the TO line by highlighting the TO line addresses, deleting the TO line, and then generally carrying out steps 3 through 5.

From here on I presume you have no record of my report.
ADDRESS LINE CONFUSION WHEN "REPLY ALL"
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Poco ought to place multiple addresses all on one line until it needs to force a second etc line. Beyond that it should display all lines if there are addresses on them. Poco does none of these things. I find I need to click all around the TO line (or other address lines) to figure out what's really there. Very annoying and dangerous.

Here is an example:

1. Find a message that has multiple email address on either the TO line and/or the CC line.

2. Do a Reply All

3. Note that the multiple addresses on the TO or CC line do not appear in the compose window (only the first email address does).

4. Click on the on the TO or CC line that ought to be displaying the list of addresses; some of the addresses will appear, each on it's own line, but not all addresses are displayed if there are enough of them

5. Now click on some other line in the address block and watch all the email addresses show up on a single line, but also with a number of blank lines at the end of the list.

6. Now click on the TO or CC line in question.

7. The blank lines will all disappear, giving what you really wanted in the first place; namely, all addresses visible and on one line with no blank lines.

BLANKS LINES IN RE-SAVED DRAFT
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If one opens a message in the Draft mailbox (having saved to Draft when the message was newly composed) and then hits the "Draft" button ("File|Save to Draft" works too), there is an extra line added each time. 10 open/save cycles = 10 blank lines at the end of the message in the Draft mailbox.

P.S. Here's a bonus issue: Poco does not respond in the same way if you hit the "Draft" button vs using the menu item "File|Save to Draft".  In the 1st case the message display goes away; in the 2nd case it remains.

BLANK LINE WHEN PICKING AN ADDRESS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
1. Create a new message

2. Hit the TO button on the left edge of the TO line to bring up the address picker popup.

3. Highlight a single address

4. Use the "Insert" button at the bottom of the popup to add the address to the TO line.

5. Note that the address is added all right, but there is a spurious blank line added also.

DELETION OF MULTIPLE MSGS
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This may not be a bug per se, but it might as well be since it results in the unintended deletion of msgs.

If you highlight any message in the index pane and then push and hold down the keyboard delete key, Poco will merrily delete multiple msgs.  Sometimes it will delete only 2 or 3; other times a dozen or more.

ATTACHMENT DOES NOT DELETE IF.....
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is with Poco options set such that attachments are stripped from all incoming msgs and placed in an attachments folder.

If you open an attachment by double clicking in the attachment pane (or likely any other way you choose to open it); and then attempt to delete the message that the file is attached to while the attachment is still open; as usual a dialog box appears asking whether you want to delete the attachment too. If you answer YES, an error box appears telling you must close the attachment. This error box has an OK button in it. So far so good.

However, once you close the attachment, the message is automatically sent to the trash as it should; but the file remains in the attachments folder. This occurs whether you hit the OK button in the error box before or after you close the offending open file.

Poco should either delete both the message and the attachment as requested, or delete neither. As it is now Poco leaves orphan files in the attachment folder.

P.S. I only tested this with Word files; perhaps another application will change this behavior.
Last edited by Sandy on Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sandy

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:21 am

We have just been solving this on another site elsewhere, that runs different forum software, and as awkward as it might seem the conclusion was that it was something with the server security setting. Some letter clusters apparently were raising red flag. Maybe this might be similar reason.

Tomas, I think I figured it out.

In my long post above I spoke about the carbon copy line. I used the abbrevation CCsemicolon (but with an actual semicolon). Via testing I have found that the forum software will not accept the string:

CCsemicolon...............(except again it must be an actual semicolon).

Try it.
Sandy

Postby Andreas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 7:59 am

For me, CC; does work, but CCcolon does not work.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Sandy » Mon Dec 04, 2006 10:24 am

For me, CC; does work, but CCcolon does not work.

OOPS.......I meant to say "CCcolon" NOT "CCsemicolon"

I don't know how my brain goofed that up :roll:
Sandy

Postby Slaven » Mon Dec 04, 2006 1:01 pm

Thanks Sandy, I went through my DB quickly and we do have "BLANKS LINES IN RE-SAVED DRAFT" just filed under me, and "DELETION OF MULTIPLE MSGS" was closed as "can't fix" (it involves standard Windows keyoard buffer). I'll make sure the others are in there too!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Andreas » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:00 pm

Slaven, couldn't you at least give reading access to the bug database to registered beta testers?

Edit: Of course, private "real-life" mails forwarded to you in order to show you a bug (e.g. a love letter that Poco doesn't render correctly) should not be made available to other users. The verbal bug description should be enough in such cases.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Slaven » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:33 pm

Hi Andreas,

I'm no longer using the Bugzilla database but a hodge-podge of technologies. I might do something like that in the future, as I am looking at moving at another online bug tracking DB, this time a commercial one.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby J-Mac » Mon Dec 04, 2006 5:49 pm

Slaven wrote:Hi Andreas,

I'm no longer using the Bugzilla database but a hodge-podge of technologies. I might do something like that in the future, as I am looking at moving at another online bug tracking DB, this time a commercial one.

Uh-oh - I am picturing Slaven pulling various scraps of paper out of several pockets, with some falling all over the floor...

If I may make a suggestion, Mantis Bug Tracking is used by a few colleagues who seem to be very pleased. It's written in php and works with SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases. It is available freely at the SourceForge website, is released under the GNU General Public License - so it is completely free of charge, it can be installed on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, and others, and virtually any web browser can act as a client for it.

Worth a look anyway - especially at that price... :)
J-Mac
J-Mac
Poco Enthusiast

Location: The Great State of Pennsylvania, in the Merry Old Land of Oz!

Postby Slaven » Mon Dec 04, 2006 6:32 pm

J-Mac wrote:
Slaven wrote:Hi Andreas,

Uh-oh - I am picturing Slaven pulling various scraps of paper out of several pockets, with some falling all over the floor...

You're not that far off! Dare I mention Excel here? I'm one of those people who thinks every problem can be solved with Excel, with a few helper tools...!

If I may make a suggestion, Mantis Bug Tracking is used by a few colleagues who seem to be very pleased. It's written in php and works with SQL, MySQL, and PostgreSQL databases. It is available freely at the SourceForge website, is released under the GNU General Public License - so it is completely free of charge, it can be installed on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, OS/2, and others, and virtually any web browser can act as a client for it.

Worth a look anyway - especially at that price... :)

Thanks, I'll check it out - the problem with Bugzilla was combination of its high complexity coupled with the fact it's written in Perl (I'm not a big Perl fan), so maintenance and fixes were always a nightmare.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion