[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco -> Gmail

Poco -> Gmail

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco -> Gmail

Postby dennis@poco » Tue Dec 26, 2006 7:58 am

I was always an happy user of Pocomail. I found the support, the interface and spamfilter is one of the best on the market. However Gmail asked me to join them. I really like the online interface of Gmail. But sometimes I miss Pocomail. I would like to know other users thought and ideas on how to use both. In the past I used both an online and offline mailprogram, but I found it complicated to keep track of (un)answered messages.

Dennis
dennis@poco
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Dec 27, 2006 2:47 am

Hi Dennis & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
dennis@poco wrote:I would like to know other users thought and ideas on how to use both.
Don't know about others, but I do use Barca Pro to access my Gmail.
For the rest I almost never open Gmail, unless I need it.

~ Moving this thread from General to Email Hall ~
Last edited by Eric on Wed Dec 27, 2006 5:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby bouncingbuddha » Wed Dec 27, 2006 4:02 am

Dennis

Picking up Gmail through POP3 in Pocomail is very simple (well, I managed it 8) ) and I rarely bother with the web interface.
Regards
Kevin
bouncingbuddha
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Dec 27, 2006 9:23 am

Eric wrote:Don't know about others, but I do use Barca Pro to access my Gmail.

Same here, except I use Pocomail.

I'm a bit oldfashioned, as I feel way better when I own my email not someone else. Moreover, desktop client is always way quicker for searching and manipulating messages.

Sometimes I need to process messages (eg. calculate and send a registration key to a customer automatically), online interface is useless for that.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby dennis@poco » Thu Dec 28, 2006 8:09 pm

Okay, I feel Poco is the best option if you don't move around. So, when you read e-mail at home/work Pocomail will suffice. However, when at home I like to use Poco, but on the road or at work I have to use an online service like Gmail. My problem is this. When at home I donload my messages, but I leave them on the server. Sometimes, when at work, I want to read some old messages for references. So this means both my mailboxes will become cluttered. Which messages has been answered, and where? Is it in Poco? Is it in Gmail. When an e-mail has been answered in both Gmail or Poco it should be archivedl just like Gmail does. This means Poco and Gmail should interact with eachother or even synchronize. I hope you understand what I'm trying to explain here ;-)
dennis@poco
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Fri Dec 29, 2006 12:55 am

What about MyInfoToGo?
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby bouncingbuddha » Fri Dec 29, 2006 3:08 am

The way that I use Gmail is that I pick up messages either via Pocomail on my desktop or Flexmail on my PDA when I am away from home.

Emails that contain general information or "humorous attachments" I keep filed on Gmail. Important stuff I keep archived on Pocomail/desktop and delete from Gmail online.

So mail that isn't critical but I want to keep is kept on the Gmail server. everything else is stored in Pocomail on my desktop.
Regards
Kevin
bouncingbuddha
Poco Tourist

Re: Poco -> Gmail

Postby saoir » Sat Dec 30, 2006 8:14 am

dennis@poco wrote:However Gmail asked me to join them. I really like the online interface of Gmail.

Wow.... 8)

I would like to know other users thought and ideas on how to use both. In the past I used both an online and offline mailprogram, but I found it complicated to keep track of (un)answered messages.

Gmail is a cool thing, I agree. One great thing is it's lack of spam. And it runs very fast, for web mail.

However it filing system is very limited. It uses 'labels' for filing and 'conversations'. This is fine for small numbers of emails but when the numbers increase it is totally unsuitable.

I use Barca and will continue to do so, while using Gmail for occasional email.

However, that said . . . if I were only using personal email I would be very tempted to change over to Gmail fully. The spam thing is a major headache for every user.

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby dennis@poco » Sat Dec 30, 2006 10:07 pm

However Gmail asked me to join them. I really like the online interface of Gmail. Wow....

I think you'll understand what I mean here :-)

Anyway, after seeing people's thoughts on my topic I see for me there is no way of using both Gmail and Poco on a regular/daily basis. In this day and age of online applications I feel Poco is keeping me tied to ONE workplace. I'd like to have access to ALL of my mail everywhere I'd like to. Thank you for your input.

Dennis
dennis@poco
New Arrival

Postby mcrain » Sun Dec 31, 2006 4:24 pm

If you want access to your mail regardless of where you are you should consider an IMAP account. This is it's purpose.
mcrain
Resident Poster

Postby RBernier » Mon Jan 01, 2007 12:28 am

dennis@poco wrote:However Gmail asked me to join them. I really like the online interface of Gmail. Wow....

I think you'll understand what I mean here :-)

Anyway, after seeing people's thoughts on my topic I see for me there is no way of using both Gmail and Poco on a regular/daily basis. In this day and age of online applications I feel Poco is keeping me tied to ONE workplace. I'd like to have access to ALL of my mail everywhere I'd like to. Thank you for your input.

Dennis

Poco/Barca doesn't handle a GMail account any different than any other email client. Poco definitely does not have you tied to One workplace. You have yourself tied to one workplace because you want to use an email provider that doesn't offer IMAP. Your complaint should be with Google's GMail and not with Poco.

Regards
Ron Bernier
RBernier
Resident Poster

Return to Email Hall