[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - New version of Pocomail

New version of Pocomail

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Slaven » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:00 am

Andreas wrote:
Slaven wrote: We are planning another minor update soon before gearing up for major changes to the next major update.

This means that the beta starting in mid-February will only be a minor update? This is a bit frustrating. I was hoping for bigger changes (e.g. strongly improved HTML support) after such a long time.

The work on the next major update has been going on for quite some time, but it will be a big one and some people may not be happy with it as we may lose some features (especially as the new editor and viewer will be coming in), so we wanted to make sure that those who stick with the current release have another update. Plus, the beta for the next version will last much longer (remember 3.0 and 4.0 betas!). I will post full notes about what's going on when the next beta debuts.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Slaven » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:01 am

tusi wrote:Slaven!

Thank you very much for your answer.

The final, and most important question for me. Will you resolve encoding problem in forwarded, draft, replayed mails? This is a serious problem for me.

For example: The original message: "Műszaki Főiskolai".
If I want to forward it, it will be: "M9±szaki F9iskolai"

If the message is long, there is 10-20 minutes to fix the bad characters.

I have written it to this forum since months I was promised it will resolve.

I have read about it from Czech member too. I am Hungarian.
I use ISO-8859-2, but I have tried a lot of variant.

But I am patient. Thank you again.

Some changes on this have been done, but majority of them unfortunately have to wait for the major upgrade to the editor.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby neo » Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:51 am

Just one question:

Will this "Major" upgrade be free for us Barca 2.1 users?

Neo
neo
Poco Tourist

Postby Slaven » Tue Feb 13, 2007 5:56 am

neo wrote:Just one question:

Will this "Major" upgrade be free for us Barca 2.1 users?

Neo

Unfortunately major upgrades are not free (which is why we're doing a point upgrade first).
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby madmax » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:05 am

And when do you plan to give out the new version of pocomail?
madmax
New Arrival

Postby Slaven » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:31 am

Oh, it's on the same timeline as Barca, I often refer to one when I mean both! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby madmax » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:37 am

And when this do you think will be?
madmax
New Arrival

Postby Slaven » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:26 am

Read the rest of this thread for more details, but to summarize: next beta is in "any day now" stage.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby saoir » Tue Feb 27, 2007 5:01 am

Thanks for keeping us so well informed. It's great to be in direct touch with the developer of this great program.

I see no need for the continuous beta tread mill followed by some other developers. It is mainly because they are incapable of issuing robust software the first time around.

I have found Barca and previously Pocomail to be one of the most robust softare applications I have ever used and I used it continuously 10 hours or so a day.

I just hope you don't spend too much time on this html stuff in the new full version... I would far prefer a set of improvements to the Calendar along the lines discussed at length after the last beta but not in time to make it into that version.

Best of luck Slaven !!

Saoir
saoir
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Slaven » Tue Feb 27, 2007 6:30 am

Thanks Saoir, I normally don't like to speak on behalf of a group of users but you've put it very well. We have a very large group of users (who are also very silent on the forums) who use PocoMail and Barca daily and fret upgrades like plague. Upgrades mean surgery on something they rely on - even if it goes without any problems we often make improvements to the program that changes the way program works for them and they suddenly have to learn new functionality they didn't even ask for.

For this reason the upcoming minor upgrade doesn't try to do much, while making improvements across the board. We left big functional changes for the next major upgrade!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:55 pm

Slaven wrote:Thanks Saoir, I normally don't like to speak on behalf of a group of users but you've put it very well. We have a very large group of users (who are also very silent on the forums) who use PocoMail and Barca daily and fret upgrades like plague...

In fact, people are busy and often simply don't have time to post.
Also, they probably simply find the answers they were looking for in the forum and don't have to post.

But to interract with the developper/programmer is unique (at least not seen too often).

Thanks again Slaven for the ongoing support, patience and great software!

:)
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Slaven » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:51 am

Thanks! :)
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:03 am

Slaven wrote:We have a very large group of users (who are also very silent on the forums) who use PocoMail and Barca daily and fret upgrades like plague.

During the last few months on helpdesk, I was surprised how many people still run Pocomail 2 (not even talking about Pocomail 3) !

And as Slaven said, believe it or not, they don't care about any new versions . Many of them don't even care to install the latest build of Pocomail 2. It "just works" for them, so why make changes.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Slaven » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:34 am

Tomas wrote:During the last few months on helpdesk, I was surprised how many people still run Pocomail 2 (not even talking about Pocomail 3) !

:shock: :D
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby Kevin Tea » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:00 pm

Tomas wrote:During the last few months on helpdesk, I was surprised how many people still run Pocomail 2 (not even talking about Pocomail 3) !
I still remember the first version of Pocomail and I recall having to wear sunglasses :wink:
Regards
Kevin
800 feet up a Cumbrian fellside
Kevin Tea
Poco Tourist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion