[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Only allow mail from address book

Only allow mail from address book

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Only allow mail from address book

Postby csturnbull » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:35 pm

Is there an easy way to only allow address book entries email and to leave rest on server?
Thanks
Clive
csturnbull
New Arrival

Postby robin » Tue Jul 27, 2004 8:56 pm

You can create a pre-download filter that will look for messages where the From: is contained in the address book and then set the action to Download. Tools > Filters... choose the Pre-Download tab at the top.

To activate it you would then choose Tools > Run Filters Now > Pre-Download.

Or perhaps a Download filter that is similar but if From: not found in address book then leave mail on server. This should run every time you check mail. The only thing is that you would have to find another way of checking the mail box to see if there was something there. Maybe with another program, or Poco's "View Mail on Server". Then you would need to disable the filter to download it.
robin

Postby csturnbull » Tue Jul 27, 2004 9:04 pm

Many thanks I will have a play tonight and post back.
Regards
Clive
csturnbull
New Arrival

Postby csturnbull » Thu Jul 29, 2004 8:24 pm

Sorry to be a bit thick but I have opted for the second suggestion but still get mail arriving that is not in my address book. I chose this as I could then look at mail on server to check if I wanted to add any of the addresses to my address book.
I am probably doing something stupid! :(

Cheers
Clive
csturnbull
New Arrival

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 1:46 am

Put your filters into the Pre-Download section. I made it work with two filters - one to download if found in the address book; one to leave on server if not found in address book.

You should have the following in the Pre-download part of the filters dialog box...
Code: Select all
Pre-download
Search header   for text        type         action            result
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From            %addressbook%   if found     download          this message
From            %addressbook%   if not found leave on server   this message

This should run every time you check mail. Then you'll need to review mail on server periodically.

As an alternative instead of %addressbook% you could use Allowed Sender and populate it with allowed senders - stop you filling the address books with (for example) From: addresses for e-mail newsletters.
robin

Postby Jim » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:05 am

robin wrote:
Code: Select all
Pre-download
Search header   for text        type         action            result
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
From            %addressbook%   if found     download          this message
From            %addressbook%   if not found leave on server   this message

This should run every time you check mail. Then you'll need to review mail on server periodically.

In addition, make sure that the filters are arranged properly. I presume you want to place them on top of your filter list.
Jim

Postby Pete » Fri Jul 30, 2004 4:41 am

I have a couple of comments:

1) I don't think that it's necessary to have the pre-download filter with the action of "download" because all messages are automatically downloaded. You just need Robin's second filter -- the pre-download filter that says to "leave on server" (i.e. don't download it) if the sender is not in your address books.

2) I believe that the actual CVT is %addressbooks% (plural) rather than %addressbook%. This might explain why it didn't work the first time that you tried it, Clive.
Pete

Postby robin » Fri Jul 30, 2004 7:35 am

Pete wrote:1) I don't think that it's necessary to have the pre-download filter with the action of "download" because all messages are automatically downloaded. You just need Robin's second filter -- the pre-download filter that says to "leave on server" (i.e. don't download it) if the sender is not in your address books.
Probably right - I was so happy getting it to work the first time that didn't occur to me.

Pete wrote:2) I believe that the actual CVT is %addressbooks% (plural) rather than %addressbook%. This might explain why it didn't work the first time that you tried it, Clive.
Also right, Pete - the column display wasn't wide enough. But if Clive selected it from the drop down list then he would have it correct automatically. I suspect that he followed my first suggestion and put the filters in 'Download' rather than 'Pre-Download'.
robin

Postby csturnbull » Fri Jul 30, 2004 11:05 am

Thanks all, I have only just read the posts as I have been working late and it is just after midnight. I will have some sleep and sort it tomorrow.
Great forum, very helpful. Wish I could find one as good for Visual Basic problems!!

Cheers
Clive
csturnbull
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To