[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMailPE -> MyInfoToGo

PocoMailPE -> MyInfoToGo

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMailPE -> MyInfoToGo

Postby RogerLaw » Mon May 07, 2007 3:27 am

From replies in this forum and replies from support it seems that PocoMailPE 3.4 is a dead item.

It seems to have been replaced by MyInfoToGo but:

- if you don't won't the calender and todo stuff (which is a lot of us with PDAs and SmartPhones) you have to ignore the extra size and the extra eye candy, BUT

- if you want to run it off a removable USB hard drive, a fixed hard drive or a network share YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.

Looks like PocoSystems are going to lose customers!

Don't they care? Don't they read this forum?

(What I don't understand is that this site is hosted by the manufacturer of the product but nobody from the company participates. Eric the moderator does a good job as far as he can but he often says he doesn't know!)

So PLEASE PocoSystems, lift the restriction to only run from removeable flash drives from the non-U3 MITG.
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Re: PocoMailPE -> MyInfoToGo

Postby Eric » Mon May 07, 2007 7:54 am

Hi RogerLaw & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
RogerLaw wrote:From replies in this forum and replies from support it seems that PocoMailPE 3.4 is a dead item.
There never were many questions regarding PE.
It seems to have been replaced by MyInfoToGo but:
That's what we think is happening, although there hasn't been any confirmation from PSI.
- if you want to run it off a removable USB hard drive, a fixed hard drive or a network share YOU ARE OUT OF LUCK.
Yep, that was reported already several times, so we'll have to wait for the next beta to see if it will be addressed. :roll:
Looks like PocoSystems are going to lose customers!
Don't they care? Don't they read this forum?
You lose some, you win others. I'm sure they care about it and of course they read this forum, although they can't read each topic.
(What I don't understand is that this site is hosted by the manufacturer of the product but nobody from the company participates.
It's foremost a user forum, so it's users helping other users. Sometimes PSI responds to a topic, other times we sent a PM to Slaven to respond to a certain problem.
They can't be present all the time, but Tomas is the one providing official support and he's been here almost every day. That counts too, don't you think. :)
Slaven, Jim do participate, although not on daily basis. That would be asking too much time, taken from further development.
Eric the moderator does a good job as far as he can but he often says he doesn't know!)
You're right about me not knowing everything about it and that applies to the other moderators too. Mostly it's guessing what might happen. We, moderators, do moderate this user forum, but we're not part of PSI, so we don't have access to plans and such, which is understandable.
So PLEASE PocoSystems, lift the restriction to only run from removeable flash drives from the non-U3 MITG.
Let's see what the next version brings.
For now there's a restriction, but that may change, although yet again just guessing here.

If you need straight answers, it's best to address it directly to Support.
Whether they'll let you in on their future plans is up to them.
For now it's :?:
Eric

Postby Tomas » Mon May 07, 2007 9:21 am

The official standpoint of Pocosystems on portable hard drives is:
Unfortunately at the moment we don't support portable hard drives with MITG. We are looking at ways of supporting them in the future.

My personal opinion is this:
MITG is $19.95, but Barca which has basically same functionality is $59.95. So I think MITG comes at great price, but the price is at the expense of impossibility to run it from hard drive.

For a company with a portfolio of products, it's always tough to decide on the right mix of them so that the highest possible percentage of users remains happy.

Your feedback counts.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: PocoMailPE -> MyInfoToGo

Postby Tomas » Mon May 07, 2007 9:28 am

RogerLaw wrote:(What I don't understand is that this site is hosted by the manufacturer of the product but nobody from the company participates.)

Eric already commented. Also look at the memberlist. Slaven and Jim are at the top when sorted by total posts.
Pocosystems people read all the messages, but they don't comment on everything that's posted, as the forums are user-to-user venue.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby RogerLaw » Mon May 07, 2007 7:47 pm

Thanks Eric and Tomas for your time to respond to the above.

So to summarise:

I love my PocoMailPE but I'd like the improvements in PocoMail4 & MITG e-mail part.

I want to buy a copy for my wife.

We want it to be able to run on portable (and fixed) drives as it does now.

While I'm sure Barca and MITG are excellent products for those that want calender & todos integrated with their e-mail there are many that just want a quality email client. (Our Treo 650 & 680 are much more efficient for calendar & todos being with us at all times)

It would make sense if PSI covered all bases and retained a complete range of products (based on common source).
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon May 07, 2007 9:42 pm

RogerLaw wrote:Thanks Eric and Tomas for your time to respond to the above.
Our pleasure to respond to your concerns. ;)

You have the chance to buy it now, since that price won't be held indefinitely. :?
As already posted by Tomas, PSI is looking into it, so you may have the possibility to run it on removable drives.
Hope they'll find the solution to make this work.
While I'm sure Barca and MITG are excellent products for those that want calender & todos integrated with their e-mail there are many that just want a quality email client. (Our Treo 650 & 680 are much more efficient for calendar & todos being with us at all times)
I agree that not everyone would want a PIM, so perhaps there will be a possibility to turn them off in a future version for those that don't need this :?:

The rest is up to PSI. :)
Eric

Postby RogerLaw » Tue May 08, 2007 6:10 am

RogerLaw wrote:

Eric wrote:
You have the chance to buy it now, since that price won't be held indefinitely.

Are you suggesting I buy a copy I can't use (because it doesn't work on hard drives) for my wife now in the hope PSI will bring out a free update that relaxes the restriction?
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue May 08, 2007 6:27 am

RogerLaw wrote:[Are you suggesting I buy a copy I can't use (because it doesn't work on hard drives) for my wife now in the hope PSI will bring out a free update that relaxes the restriction?
It's up to you if you want to buy it or not.
For now it's at a special price, but that will change.

If that restriction is lifted in a future version, you'll still have to pay less to upgrade or if it's an update, you won't pay anything. :)

Anyhow there's no obligation, I'm just telling you how it works. ;)
Eric

Postby RogerLaw » Tue May 08, 2007 11:40 pm

Eric & Tomas,

I tentatively went to look at buying MITG.

I found this: "Current license-holders of our products qualify for discounts and upgrade offers on new releases and upgrades.
» Click here to see what you may qualify for..."

I clicked, then entered my Licence Code and the following displayed:

"PocoMail PE 4 is not yet available, coming soon!" (my bold and italics)

What's going on? It was planned, now it isn't and somebody has forgotten to correct that web page or it is true ?
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed May 09, 2007 12:05 am

RogerLaw wrote:What's going on? It was planned, now it isn't and somebody has forgotten to correct that web page or it is true ?
I don't know anything about it. :?

I've sent a message to Slaven, so he can answer your question. :wink:
Eric

Postby Slaven » Wed May 09, 2007 2:38 am

MITG is an experiment to make portable applications more accessible, depending on its success and feedback from customers like you we will be able to decide what the market needs. As Tomas said, the price of MITG is very low which is why it has some usage restrictions - we are looking at ways of supporting more devices but it's not really meant to be installed on devices that do not identify themselves as Removable Drive to Windows.

PocoMail PE 4 is on hold while we see how MITG is accepted; even though they share much of their codebase there is a lot work that has to be done to sell PPE4 alongside MITG.
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby RogerLaw » Wed May 09, 2007 4:37 am

Hi Slaven,

Thanks for the reply.

MITG is an experiment to make portable applications more accessible

Not if you restrict where it can be used.

I have tens of portable applications that happily run off a USB Flash Drive, a USB HDD or from the backup copy on my main fixed drive. (see http://portableapps.com/about/what_is_a_portable_app) Many people are switching to open source apps because of the freedom it gives them. I want to stick with PocoMail because I like all it's features but I want the improvements you've done (one of which I suggested!)

but it's not really meant to be installed on devices that do not identify themselves as Removable Drive to Windows.

But a USB HDD is a Removeable Drive to Windows so it should at least work there.

I can appreciate the marketing decision to disallow it working on the fixed HDD as people wouldn't buy Barca with the current pricing structure.

I'd be happy with MITG running in a mode where the PIM stuff is disabled (as suggested by Eric) but it can run on any HDD, i.e it is a proper PPE upgrade.

PocoMail PE 4 is on hold while we see how MITG is accepted]

Then I would suggest that you correct your web page where you say "PocoMailPE 4 is... coming soon". This just winds people up.

And remember that while you "experiment with MITG" you are ignoring all your PPE customer's as, in it's present form, MITG is NOT a replacement for PPE.

Perhaps you could e-mail all your PPE customers explaining this situation to them (as most I'm sure don't read this forum) and ask them what they want.
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Postby RogerLaw » Thu May 31, 2007 4:34 am

Is there any update in this situatation?

I still want to buy a 'PE' version of PocoMail that will run on a USB HDD, as well as a USB Flash Drive, for my wife.

And now my son wants to move to a better e-mail client and I want to recommend PocoMailPE to him.

We are happy(ish) to pay $39.95 - were not interested in MyInfoToGo at a much cheaper price if it does stuff we don't want (PIM) and won't work when we run out of room on our Flash Drive and have to move to a USB HDD.

(As a software developer I don't understand why you guys didn't use the same code base for PocoMail and PocoMailPE to allow parallel updating)
RogerLaw
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu May 31, 2007 4:54 am

RogerLaw wrote:Is there any update in this situatation?
As posted by Slaven in the beta section a new beta of MITG will start soon. :)

If you want to participate, please send an email to Support requesting beta access.
You then can address your concerns directly to Slaven.
(As a software developer I don't understand why you guys didn't use the same code base for PocoMail and PocoMailPE to allow parallel updating)
:!: Don't know anything about, so you'll have to address that to PSI.

There's not much more I can do here. :oops: :wink:
Eric

Postby Abacus » Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:58 pm

Sorry to crash Roger's thread, but my issues are very similar and it doesn't seem worthwhile starting a new thread.

I'm a long time Eudora user, but since Qualcomm discontinued the product I've been looking for an alternative.

At the same time, I've started running around between my various sites with a USB hard drive. I used to take my laptop everywhere, but the portable HDD is a lot more convenient. So I'd really like an email client that could run from the USB HDD.

I use Time & Chaos as a PIM because of the wonderful way that it integrates with MS Word templates, so I don't need my email client to look after PIM functions.

I have been very impressed with PM 4.5.0.3900 that I am currently trialling. It does everything I want, but I would like to take it with me on the portable HDD.

I haven't tried PM PE because it seems to be a dead duck, having not been upgraded since March 2005. Further, I get a lot of email with largish attachments (accounts data files), and a thumb-drive just wouldn't cut it.

If PSI would produce a portable HDD version of PM I would buy it immediately.

Can anybody advise what th current status is of PM PE 4, or a portable HDD-friendly version of MITG?

Thanks,

Robert
Abacus
New Arrival

Next

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To