[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Thunderbird Portable to MyInfoToGo!

Thunderbird Portable to MyInfoToGo!

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Thunderbird Portable to MyInfoToGo!

Postby Pantagruel » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:33 am

Hi,

I have now purchased MyInfoToGo and absolutely love it. However, there is something I am struggling with big time! Here goes . . . Previously, I was using Thunderbird Portable. After some effort, I managed to import all my emails into MyInfoToGo.

What I cannot do, however, is import the contacts!

I tried all the usual export as csv etc, but all the data is a jumbled up mess with all the fields seemingly placed at random in the file. So, at the moment, I have all my emails in MyInfoToGo and all my contacts still stuck inside Thunderbird. Has anyone here come against the same problem?

Thanks,
--
Pantagruel

~ Moved from Barca ... Eric ~
Pantagruel
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:52 pm

Hi Pantagruel & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Pantagruel wrote:I have now purchased MyInfoToGo and absolutely love it.
Glad you like it.
What I cannot do, however, is import the contacts!
From previous topics I know it can be a pain to import Contacts, although I've never done it myself.

The previous Excel-sheet worked perfectly with the 3.4 version and older, but it doesn't work anymore with the recent one. :?

:idea: Have you tried through the Import Contacts by selecting those fields you want.
Not easy, I know, but maybe it will succeed.

Another suggestion would be to import your TB-contacts into Outlook and from there importing them into MITG.

Perhaps someone else does come up with a better solution?

Good luck with the import. :wink:
Eric

Contact Import continued . . !

Postby Pantagruel » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:19 am

Hi Eric,

Here's what I have now tried . . In TB, export all my address books as CSV files. Import them into MyInfoToGo. The result is gibberish. I know I can manually map the fields, but it would take me several lifetimes to accomplish due to the volume of contacts. Exporting from TB as LDIF (I think!) gives the same result. However, export from TB as CSV and import directly into Evolution for Windows and each import is 100% spot on! Evolution has some serious potential! Only snag, though, is that Evolution cannot export in anything usable. It can do VCard but MyInfoToGo does not read them.

I don't have Outlook, so can't try that!

Also, does anyone know if MyInfoToGo will be upgraded to v2.5?

Despite the contacts problem (you would think it would be easy!) I stil maintain that myInfoToGo is the absolute best all-round PIM I have ever used.

Thanks,

--
Pantagruel
Pantagruel
New Arrival

Re: Contact Import continued . . !

Postby Tomas » Tue Jun 05, 2007 8:58 am

Hi Pantagruel,

Pantagruel wrote: I know I can manually map the fields, but it would take me several lifetimes to accomplish due to the volume of contacts.

It's only necessary to produce the map once, and even if you have several .csv files on which you need to use it, you can save the map for later re-usage.
Last time I did one, it took me 5-10 minutes ?, not sure, but it wasn't that "gargantuan task" :wink:

Last time I heard, beta testing shall have started once Barca and Pocomail 2.5 are released (which happened few days ago), so I guess it might start rather soon.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Contact Import continued . . !

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 05, 2007 11:53 pm

Hi Pantagruel,
Pantagruel wrote:Here's what I have now tried . . In TB, export all my address books as CSV files. Import them into MyInfoToGo. The result is gibberish. I know I can manually map the fields, but it would take me several lifetimes to accomplish due to the volume of contacts.
Mapping the correct fields is difficult. It should work, but it isn't that easy, although it's do-able as Tomas explained.
Exporting from TB as LDIF (I think!) gives the same result.
That should work, since LDIF is a preset format.
Why not try it out?
Another suggestion is Dawn, although there's no guarantee it will work :?:
However, export from TB as CSV and import directly into Evolution for Windows and each import is 100% spot on! Evolution has some serious potential!
Some do work great, others are a little more difficult. It seems they perfected the import from other email clients.
Only snag, though, is that Evolution cannot export in anything usable. It can do VCard but MyInfoToGo does not read them.
Yes, VCard isn't supported yet, although when you drag it, it creates a new mail with the attached VCard. :)
I don't have Outlook, so can't try that!
It was only a suggestion, in case you did have it installed.
Yes, it will be upgraded.
As reported by Slaven a new beta should start soon. 8)
Despite the contacts problem (you would think it would be easy!) I stil maintain that myInfoToGo is the absolute best all-round PIM I have ever used.
There's always room for improvement, but for now it works.
Let's see what the next version brings. :wink:
Eric

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To