[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Sad to Say I'm Switchingl

Sad to Say I'm Switchingl

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Sad to Say I'm Switchingl

Postby jessbahlman » Sat Jun 16, 2007 1:15 am

Well, today is a very sad day for me when it comes to Pocomail. I've been a very happy user for years but I am now pretty sure I have no choice but to switch to another email application. Why? Because I've switched from Windows to a Mac. I know I could run bootcamp or emulation software to get Pocomail to work on my Mac, but I don't want to bother with the extra hassle and money that will involve. I'd prefer not to install Windows on my Mac.

Is there any chance whatsoever that a Mac-friendly version of Pocomail will ever be released? If there was a possibility of it, I would hang on in emulation, but my understanding from searching these forums is that there are no plans to support Macs.

I haven't decided for sure what I am switching to, but I'm probably going to use Thunderbird to begin with while I test other applications in the (probably) vain hope of finding something I like as much as Pocomail. Anyway, just wanted to express my regret for having to abandon, what has been for me, an overall excellent email application.

Jess
jessbahlman
New Arrival

Re: Sad to Say I'm Switchingl

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:21 am

Hi Jess,
jessbahlman wrote:Is there any chance whatsoever that a Mac-friendly version of Pocomail will ever be released? If there was a possibility of it, I would hang on in emulation, but my understanding from searching these forums is that there are no plans to support Macs.
Unfortunately as told before we don't know of any plans to support a Mac version. :?

It could be that PSI is considering this, but that's only speculation on my part, unless PSI confirms it.

For now only an emulation will allow you to use Poco further.

So you bought a Mac, well that's nice. I hear a lot of good things about it and it's not as vulnerable as Windows to all those threats you've to protect against. :)

Sorry you'll abandon Poco however. :cry: :wink:
Eric

Re: Sad to Say I'm Switchingl

Postby Tomas » Sat Jun 16, 2007 5:30 am

jessbahlman wrote: I know I could run bootcamp or emulation software to get Pocomail to work on my Mac, but I don't want to bother with the extra hassle and money that will involve. I'd prefer not to install Windows on my Mac.

You can run it on Crossover, which is Windows emulation. You don't have to install Windows on your Mac.
I understand it's a hassle, but I tried Crossover on Linux, and it wasn't that bad.

Is there any chance whatsoever that a Mac-friendly version of Pocomail will ever be released?

I can't speak for Pocosystems, but I doubt it, for these three reasons:
- Mac market is very small, negligible in comparison to Windows market
- Pocomail is coded in Delphi, porting it to Mac would IMHO be an equivalent of starting from zero, as I doubt that much if a single line of the code could be re-used
- it already runs on emulator

That said... Macs rock... I am drooling over two applications that are only available for Mac. But then, if I made a switch, I would be drooling about some more that are only available for Windows but not for Mac... And my significant other already thinks one computer is way more than enough. World full of choices :(
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Slaven » Sun Jun 17, 2007 6:04 am

Jess, thanks for your message and I understand the reasons completely. If it's an option you should look at Parallels - it will run Windows applications like PocoMail perfectly within MacOS and it will even make them appear as separate applications in your task list (as in, PocoMail will float alone on your Mac desktop, not within a Windows session). Good luck with your new system!
Slaven Radic
Poco Systems Inc
Slaven
Poco Systems Inc

Postby paulheu » Tue Jun 19, 2007 12:27 am

I would agree parallels is awesome for this type solutions..
There are 10 types of people in this world: those who understand binary, and those who don't.
paulheu
Frequent Visitor

Return to General Discussion