[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - McAfee Security Center 7 and Poco 3.3

McAfee Security Center 7 and Poco 3.3

General email topics, from anti-virus and anti-spam software to webmail and ISPs

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

McAfee Security Center 7 and Poco 3.3

Postby odwill » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:42 am

I have just received a new Dell Vostro 200. Norton was causing problems so I uninstalled it and added McAfee Security Center. Now Poco 3.3 can send email but cannot receive email.

When I attempt to get email, Poco just briefly shows the number of message headers on the ISP server and then switches to say "No messages on server". Checking with a webmail browser, the email is there and the header count matches what Poco reported at first.

Is there a fix? I have Poco.exe listed as "Trusted" and "Full Access" in McAfee.

A second question. I thought about trying Poco 4 or Poco 4.5 to see if McAfee will play nice with a newer version. Can I install the trial version of Poco 4.5 without messing up my 3.3 installation?

-SLC User-
odwill
New Arrival

Re: McAfee Security Center 7 and Poco 3.3

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:10 am

Hi odwill & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
odwill wrote:I have just received a new Dell Vostro 200. Norton was causing problems so I uninstalled it and added McAfee Security Center.
You removed Norton through Software and afterwards you rebooted your computer to install McAfee.
Did you also use the Norton Removal Tool to clean up the leftovers :?:

This tool will remove what's left behind, although you still need to use a good registry cleaner, like RegSupreme Pro, Ace Utilities or a free one like Ccleaner and manually delete Symantecs mess on your computer, prior to installing another antivirus.
Otherwise you'll run into trouble. :?
Now Poco 3.3 can send email but cannot receive email.
Does Poco give you an error message? Press F12 to see the log.
When I attempt to get email, Poco just briefly shows the number of message headers on the ISP server and then switches to say "No messages on server". Checking with a webmail browser, the email is there and the header count matches what Poco reported at first.
Strange, however it may be due to Nortons leftover which will conflict with McAfee or any other AV.
Trust me, I've had Norton before, so I know what I'm talking about.
Is there a fix? I have Poco.exe listed as "Trusted" and "Full Access" in McAfee.
Don't have a fix right now, only the info I posted above about the removal from your previous antivirus.

If there's an error, maybe we'll find the solution as well, but first try to clean up your PC. Uninstall McAfee first, reboot and apply those procedures.
A second question. I thought about trying Poco 4 or Poco 4.5 to see if McAfee will play nice with a newer version. Can I install the trial version of Poco 4.5 without messing up my 3.3 installation?
Try the latest version, which is 4.5. :D
You can install the trial and point from within to the directories you'll need.

Also this new version uses another index, namely *.IDB, instead of *.IDX. It speeds up things compared to Poco 3, so your mailboxes will be reindexed on startup. 8)

Hope you'll like the new features, improvements. :wink:
Last edited by Eric on Tue Sep 25, 2007 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:13 am

See also Sending problems, maybe it can help to solve your problem. :)
Eric

Postby rgrun1 » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:44 pm

odwill
I used to use Norton System works. In order to reinstall when it quit working they had 3 pages of registry entrys to manually delete :!: :!: :!:

You might try turning OFF the virus scanner and see if Poco works. That will tell you a whole bunch.

On way or the other Eric is right: get their cleanup tool AND the document that lists the registry keys if still available (or needed). Run a good registry scanner to get rid of all the crap.
Rick Grunwald
rgrun1
Frequent Visitor

Return to Email Hall