[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PDA Version Idea

PDA Version Idea

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PDA Version Idea

Postby contact » Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:11 am

I am a new user. I currently have moved from Vista to PClinuxOS. I use a PDA, but can't connect to it for my PIM. So, here is my idea.

If I use a usb card reader that reads SD cards, and

I put myInfoToGo on the SD card, and

I can plug it into any PC or Linux (through wine) to have access to all my PIM information, then

why can't a program be written for the PDA to access all the files sitting on the SD card? Why can't I be able to put the SD card into my pda and have PDA access to my PIM?

I can take any file off of the PC or linux and use it in my PDA.

If POCO can do this, I think there would be many people that would move to POCO and not have to worry about having to keep their PIM information in more than one place.

Someone tell me where I am missing the boat.
contact
New Arrival

Not Missing the Boat

Postby contact » Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:57 am

I guess after 27 posts and no responses telling me where I am missing the boat tells me that others may want this as well.....

Please post if you would like this software programmed.
contact
New Arrival

Re: PDA Version Idea

Postby Eric » Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:23 am

contact wrote:Someone tell me where I am missing the boat.
I don't know, but maybe it's not as easy as it sounds. :?

BTW Welcome to Poco Forums contact. :D
Eric

Re: PDA Version Idea

Postby Tomas » Fri Nov 30, 2007 4:47 am

contact wrote:why can't a program be written for the PDA to access all the files sitting on the SD card?

It can be written, of course.
But it's not about simply changing a thing or two, it's about writing a completely new program from zero, because there is different operating system and different development tools involved with high probability.
So it's a matter of return on investment I guess, and without even going into details (what PDA, what kind of access to the SD card data) , I think it would be very low (loss-making).

Unless we are speaking just about syncing solution.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Let's get it to sync - but a PDA program would be better

Postby contact » Thu Dec 13, 2007 7:27 am

Then let's see if we can get it to syncronize. I would prefer to have a program writted for the PDA specifically. The reason is, is that I have done a considerable amount of research regarding getting a PDA to sync with linux for calendar information and it does not work. Some get it to work a little bit... but that is about it.

If we were to have a PDA program that could access the actual calendar information on an SD card (or whatever storage card for that matter) that also houses the coding for the MyInfoToGo program, then I thing you would have a major niche that no one else can supply (a calendar /email program that can be used in linux and pc by way of usb card reader and card or jump drive and also have the same files accessed with a PDA program).

I would definately pay for this type of product.
contact
New Arrival

Return to General Discussion