[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Is Junk mail filtering fully operational?

Is Junk mail filtering fully operational?

Discussion on Bayesian and standard junk mail filters

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Is Junk mail filtering fully operational?

Postby Leeuw » Sat Nov 24, 2007 11:10 am

Hi,
for a while now I noticed that the Junk Mail Filtering function does not seem to operate correctly.

I get a lot of spam from the Far East (Korea and that), don't ask me how it started, but, there you go, has been going on for some years.

All the time when they come in, I select "Ban sender's domain", that is practically the only thing I can go by, as they come from the Orient and the subjects contain all sorts of characters that don't make any sense.
Anyway, one domain that has been banned a lot is "yahoo.co.kr", but it (and others as well) keeps coming back.

I was wondering whether that is down to Barca, or whether it is due to the spammers using forged domains and email addresses.

If it is a barca bug, could someone tell me how to deal with it, please?

Thanks,
Leeuw.
Check out my brand new website at http://www.vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk
(Don't forget the guest book please).
Leeuw
Poco Tourist

Postby Michael » Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:32 pm

Junk mail filtering does work, I've been using it for years. If you check prior threads you'll see a number of suggestions as to what it does and how to configure it. There are also several articles in the FAQ, these are rather old but are still relevant.

Another technique for dealing with persistent bad domains is to run some pre-download filters to delete the messages while they are still on the server. Be aware though that once the messages are deleted from the server you will not be able to retrieve them so be very careful how you setup these filters.
Michael

Re: Is Junk mail filtering fully operational?

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:33 pm

Hi Leeuw,

Leeuw wrote:I get a lot of spam from the Far East (Korea and that), don't ask me how it started, but, there you go, has been going on for some years.
I get some of that also.

All the time when they come in, I select "Ban sender's domain", that is practically the only thing I can go by, as they come from the Orient and the subjects contain all sorts of characters that don't make any sense.
Anyway, one domain that has been banned a lot is "yahoo.co.kr", but it (and others as well) keeps coming back.

I was wondering whether that is down to Barca, or whether it is due to the spammers using forged domains and email addresses.
Banning the domain in most cases is useless because it's always changing.

What I have is a filter that looks in the Message headers for iso-2022 and moves them to Junk Mail. This works for me, so far every spam message I have received has has iso-2022-jp or iso-2022-kr.

I put this at the bottom of my Incomming filter list above the Junk filter as I have friends in Japan and filter them out first.

Edit: to correct my filter description from Content-Type to Message headers, need to check my filter first. ;)
Last edited by chrisretusn on Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:41 pm

Forgot to add.

In PocoMail, I assume Barca is the same, there is a script called Display Raw Message. It is assigned by default to Button 3. I use this all the time to safely look at possibly dangerous messages. This a good why to look for things to filter on I also use it to find common phrases and such to add to the word list filters.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Return to Junk Mail Filtering Help and How-To