[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Graphics disappearing

Graphics disappearing

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Graphics disappearing

Postby alanstancliff » Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:39 am

Rather suddenly, graphics in my email messages I receive do not display.

I had been running Barca 2.1, so I downloaded and installed 2.5, which solved a few other vexing problems, but not this one.

Can anyone offer suggestions, please?

And yes, I do click the little "download images for this message only" button.

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Re: Graphics disappearing

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 10, 2008 12:49 am

Hi Alan,
alanstancliff wrote:Rather suddenly, graphics in my email messages I receive do not display.

And yes, I do click the little "download images for this message only" button.
In the dropdown menu is Sanitize HTML checked?
Else an Event OnDisplay or a filter running on those folders.

Or malformed messages, or your firewall or security software blocking the connection.

Lots of possibilities why those images don't display. :?
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:26 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

It's not malformed messages, my firewall, or my security software. Nothing has changed about them. Also, all email that was displaying images just fine 3 days ago is not displaying images today. So it's not malformed images. Sanitize HTML is not activated.

I don't understand enough about filters to have done anything with them image-wise. I actually don't use them at all. I rely on Mailwasher for avoiding spam. I also do not know what "Event OnDisplay" means. I found no information about it in the help filee.

I am using ESET Nod for my antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall, and I am using Counterspy. I am using XP second edition and have lots of RAM and hard disk space, and my computer otherwise seems to be running reasonably well.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby alanstancliff » Tue Jun 10, 2008 4:28 pm

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply.

It's not malformed messages, my firewall, or my security software. Nothing has changed about them. Also, all email that was displaying images just fine 3 days ago is not displaying images today. So it's not malformed images. Sanitize HTML is not activated.

I don't understand enough about filters to have done anything with them image-wise. I actually don't use them at all. I rely on Mailwasher for avoiding spam. I also do not know what "Event OnDisplay" means. I found no information about it in the help filee.

I am using ESET Nod for my antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall, and I am using Counterspy. I am using XP second edition and have lots of RAM and hard disk space, and my computer otherwise seems to be running reasonably well.

Any other ideas?

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:04 pm

alanstancliff wrote:Thanks for the reply.
You're welcome Alan. :wink:
Here's an example of an Event OnDisplay to protect your In, Junk & Trash folder.

It sanitizes/strips HTML for each message in that folder/subfolders, so it's more secure. However the original message(s) aren't changed. 8)
I am using ESET Nod for my antivirus and Kerio Personal Firewall, and I am using Counterspy.
I wonder if it has something to do with NOD32, since there's a new version 357, which fixes some bugs with email clients.

Hope it's a good guess on my part. :roll:
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:28 am

Hi Eric,

It appears I'm not using any filters at all. I checked by pressing <F4>.

I don't think my ESET NOD has updated anything except the signatures, which it does all the time.

I got Barca several years ago to replace Microsoft Outlook, which I did not want to purchase. But my employer had a deal with Microsoft where I could order the entire Office 2003 for my home computer for postage only, as I have it on my work computer (which my employer owns).

I only installed Word and Excel, as those are my two work tools.

I am beginning to wonder if I should perhaps install Outlook and be done with it? I would rather stick with Barca if I can get it to work for me.

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:53 am

Hi Alan,
alanstancliff wrote:I don't think my ESET NOD has updated anything except the signatures, which it does all the time.
Did you check which version you're using?
See ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.657 released.
I am beginning to wonder if I should perhaps install Outlook and be done with it? I would rather stick with Barca if I can get it to work for me.
It's your choice to install Outlook. :)
I can only guess something is blocking those images and my best guess would be NOD32, but it could be something else too. :?

You'll have to install this new NOD32 version. It won't install through the signatures, unless it's setup to upgrade, as posted at EAV 3.0 Tutorial.

If it still doesn't work than I'm out of options.
Maybe someone else as another suggestions, so you'll be able to continue using Barca.

Crossing my fingers that new version will do the trick. :wink:
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi Eric,

I hope somebody else will have some ideas too.

My version of of ESET is 3.0.650.0. This was an annual upgrade, which I installed 2-1/2 months ago. The date on my receipt is March 31, 2008.

Moreover, the link you gave for the announcement of ESET NOD32 Antivirus v3.0.657 showed it was released on May 21, 2008. The improvements related to email were: (1) Improved stability for users of Microsoft Windows Mail and (2) Fixed issue with deleting email from a POP3 server. I don't think either of those have much to do with Barca, do they? (I could be wrong about that).

Additionally, I started having this problem about a week ago, and I had not installed anything new or changed anything in that time. I don't like to install and uninstall programs like NOD on a hunch unless I have a real reason to believe that is where the problem lies--which seems not to be logical.

I just can't figure out why Barca is not displaying those pictures. I can write-click and display the email in my browser, and the graphics are stored on the hard drive.

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:41 am

Hi Alan,
alanstancliff wrote:I hope somebody else will have some ideas too.
I hope so too.
My version of of ESET is 3.0.650.0.
I don't think either of those have much to do with Barca, do they? (I could be wrong about that).
You could simply install the new version over your current one.
When asked to preserve the settings, simply press yes.
No need to uninstall NOD32. :)

It wouldn't hurt to get the latest release, which fixes several bugs and not only those addressed in that thread.

Additionally, I started having this problem about a week ago, and I had not installed anything new or changed anything in that time.
Do you use a router?
Else try to disable your router and modem for 10 seconds. Next start your modem and afterwards start your router.
When done, start your computer.

That's all I can think of for now, but I'll look around to see if anyone has the same problem with an email client.
I just can't figure out why Barca is not displaying those pictures. I can write-click and display the email in my browser, and the graphics are stored on the hard drive.
Neither do I, but it's not easy to find the culprit. Simply by eliminating, trying things we could find what's responsible for this behaviour. :?

All I can think of is some software blocking those images, so that leaves us your firewall and security software. Maybe it's one of them which updated and as a result it blocks those images.

Just guessing here. :wink:
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:44 am

Eric wrote:

Hi Eric,

Eric wrote:That's all I can think of for now, but I'll look around to see if anyone has the same problem with an email client.

Thanks, Eric. I hope you can find something. It seems that I should not be the only one with this kind of problem.

Eric wrote:
alanstancliff wrote:My version of of ESET is 3.0.650.0.
I don't think either of those have much to do with Barca, do they? (I could be wrong about that).
You could simply install the new version over your current one.
When asked to preserve the settings, simply press yes.
No need to uninstall NOD32. :)

Actually, if you go to the thread you cited in your first post to me, you'll see plenty of messages from people who had problems trying to install v3.0.657 over v3.0.650, which by all accounts seems to be pretty stable. You will have to check the messages in the lower part of page 1 and all of page 2 to see a lot of people's experiences.

Please let me know as soon as you find something.

By the way, you seem pretty knowledgeable about ESET. Do you use it yourself?

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:47 am

alanstancliff wrote:Thanks, Eric. I hope you can find something. It seems that I should not be the only one with this kind of problem.
Don't thank me yet Alan.
Have been looking around, but not been able to find anything related to your problem. Will look further in the coming days.
Actually, if you go to the thread you cited in your first post to me, you'll see plenty of messages from people who had problems trying to install v3.0.657 over v3.0.650, which by all accounts seems to be pretty stable. You will have to check the messages in the lower part of page 1 and all of page 2 to see a lot of people's experiences.
I know, I've read that thread many times :lol:, although I didn't experience those problems myself.
Depends on what you're running or the hardware you're using.
Lucky me, I guess.
Please let me know as soon as you find something.
I'll keep you informed on my progress.
By the way, you seem pretty knowledgeable about ESET. Do you use it yourself?
I've used NOD32 & ESS before.
I like to play with security software, so I've had good and bad experiences with some. :?

Also experienced some problems installing a new version of ESS, but that's because some previous installation wasn't fully removed.
After using the Windows Installer CleanUp utility, on reboot my problems were gone.

I'm using snapshots (ISR = Instant System Recovery) and my imaging software as backup, so I can do a lot more than others without risk to damage. 8) :wink:
Eric

Postby alanstancliff » Mon Jun 16, 2008 4:37 pm

Hi Eric,

I tried disabling my firewall and then my AV and the graphics still did not show up. I also did the same for CounterSpy.

None of it seemed to make any difference at all.

Regards,

Alan
alanstancliff
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To