[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - socket error # 0

socket error # 0

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

socket error # 0

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:38 am

Hi,

I've got Outlook 2003 on the machine and have been using the trial version of Barca Pro 2.5 before I buy ...

trouble is, I keep getting a socket error #0 when I try to send mail in Barca !!

I receive mail OK and Oultook sends and receives OK too AND I can send and receive mail OK to my email accounts that don't use my default smtp setting (like gmail and hotmail etc) but any of the accounts which use the default smtp setting (smtp.ntlworld.com) return the socket error #0

error log :
"Progress and error messages
Sending message (23/07/2008 16:36:05)...
Logging into smtp.ntlworld.com server...
Sending message "final test"
Socket Error # 0"

Anyone got any thoughts as to why this should be happening ??

I've tried cleaning the registry and applying WINSOCKXPFIX but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Re: socket error # 0

Postby blakelyg » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:02 am

maxicomm wrote:trouble is, I keep getting a socket error #0 when I try to send mail in Barca !!

I've tried cleaning the registry and applying WINSOCKXPFIX but it doesn't seem to make any difference.

Thanks

There is a tool at [url=http://simple-pc-help.com/support/error_0.html?t202id=231&t202kw=error%200&gclid=CIGxk6u91pQCFQVxFQodKWbtlQ[url]Socket 0 Repair tool[/url]

that may help.... at least it did for me.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Re: socket error # 0

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:21 am

Hi maxicomm & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
maxicomm wrote:trouble is, I keep getting a socket error #0 when I try to send mail in Barca !!
Yikes, here we go again.
Sorry, not directed to you, but to me instead.

Pity you're having trouble to send. :?
Anyone got any thoughts as to why this should be happening ??
Not a clue at present, but verify your account first to see if it's set alright.

Next, could you let me know which antivirus, firewall you're using, or a suite.
Any other security software running?
You applied Winsockxpfix and did you also reboot your computer as requested.

See also:
- Error # 0 while sending messages with attachments
- Socket error #0
- Socket error #0

Hope some of those topics may be of some help to find the cause.

Till later. :wink:
Eric

In answer to the points u raised ...

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:52 am

First, thanks for the input ...

1) I have checked the accounts in use ... all those using my default smtp server as supplied by NTL (smtp.ntlworld.com) do NOT send and report socket # 0 errors !

Those accounts which use other smtp servers such as my Googlemail accounts, Hotmail and my own domain email accounts (smtp1.servage.net) send and receive OK !

2) Avira AntiVir Premium suite ... anti-virus and Firewall. There is also a firewall running in the D-Link DI-624+ Wireless Broadband Router
Windows Firewall is DISABLED

3) I DID indeed rebbot directly after applying the Winsockxpfix as requested.

Currently, the problem still exists !

Thank you in anticipation of your assistance.

JD
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

more info ...

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 7:55 am

Greetings again ...

I forgot to add that I have REGCURE on my system and having run it now several times it reports NO errors in the registry.

Thanks
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:44 am

It might not work with ntlworld, but it will not hurt to try: try to use full address as a username, ie. not username but username@isp.com, in accounts settings.

In Outgoing tab of that email account settings, make sure that you don't have Use Outgoing Server Authentication setting ticked - it shall be disabled.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Your comment

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:03 am

Tomas wrote:It might not work with ntlworld, but it will not hurt to try: try to use full address as a username, ie. not username but username@isp.com, in accounts settings.

In Outgoing tab of that email account settings, make sure that you don't have Use Outgoing Server Authentication setting ticked - it shall be disabled.

Thank you for your input ... however what u r suggesting has always been the case with NTL and as the smtp server is the default there is no need for authentication ... and authentication has never been required.

Thanks anyway ... whilst the suggestions you have outlined are relevant, I have already investigated the account settings as it's always a good place to start ... but if any of these settings were incorrect it would return an authentication/login error, not a socket # 0 error.

Thanks again for your input.
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:17 am

You are right. I have only mentioned these as they helped in the past in certain cases of socket 0 error. Some servers actually don't behave as expected when it comes to error responses, that's probably why these helped for some.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: In answer to the points u raised ...

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:21 pm

maxicomm wrote:First, thanks for the input ...
You're welcome JD. ;)
Those accounts which use other smtp servers such as my Googlemail accounts, Hotmail and my own domain email accounts (smtp1.servage.net) send and receive OK !
So that works, then same as Tomas I think it has something to do with your accounts settings and not with your suite.

:idea: However just to check on it, do you know which port it's using to make the connection? Is it port 25 or another?
If it's not port 25, change it in Barca.

Also check the firewall logs to verify.

Another tool would be WireShark, if you know how to work with it.

Hope you'll be able to find what's wrong, so good luck with it. :wink:
Eric

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:42 pm

Eric wrote:
maxicomm wrote:First, thanks for the input ...
You're welcome JD. ;)
So that works, then same as Tomas I think it has something to do with your accounts settings and not with your suite.

:idea: However just to check on it, do you know which port it's using to make the connection? Is it port 25 or another?
If it's not port 25, change it in Barca.

Also check the firewall logs to verify.

Another tool would be WireShark, if you know how to work with it.

Hope you'll be able to find what's wrong, so good luck with it. :wink:

All default smtp's use port 25 as default (VERY rarely it may be port 2525) and it is so in this case.

And I DID check the firewall logs before I posted on here as a basic investigative step and they show no signs of the Firewall or Anti-virus suite interfering with the operation of Barca.

Had any of these been the cause of the problem then I would not have bothered posting in here as I would have been able to, 1) identify the cause of the problem and 2) fix it myself.

As I have previously stated, Barca sends OK when it is not using the default smtp on 25 ... IMHO, it appears ONLY to have issues with the default SMTP server which indicates to me that it is a software issue to do with the program

Thanks for your input
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:37 pm

maxicomm wrote:All default smtp's use port 25 as default (VERY rarely it may be port 2525) and it is so in this case.
Same port here with Telenet, but that's another ISP. :?
And I DID check the firewall logs before I posted on here as a basic investigative step and they show no signs of the Firewall or Anti-virus suite interfering with the operation of Barca.
Sorry, didn't know you checked it already.
Anyway we can eliminate those already now. :)
As I have previously stated, Barca sends OK when it is not using the default smtp on 25 ... IMHO, it appears ONLY to have issues with the default SMTP server which indicates to me that it is a software issue to do with the program
Could be, although from reading a bit on the net I encountered problems with your ISP. In particular when relaying, since they block it.
Maybe the support from your ISP, if possible, knows more about it.

It's weird why it won't work. :cry:
Another suggestion would be to delete that account and exit Barca.
Restart and create it again.

If someone else has another suggestion, let it be known.

I hope it will be solved soon. :wink:
Eric

Suggestions ...

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:59 pm

Greetings,

I have already tried deleting the account/s and then starting from scratch again ... AND I've even uninstalled the whole program, cleaned all residual files and the registry and reinstalled.

If it wasn't for the fact that Outlook is working fine, then I would suspect a problem with the ISP authentication/ports etc but as Outlook is OK, then I too seem to have run into a brick wall !!!
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Re: Suggestions ...

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:32 pm

maxicomm wrote:If it wasn't for the fact that Outlook is working fine, then I would suspect a problem with the ISP authentication/ports etc but as Outlook is OK, then I too seem to have run into a brick wall !!!
I'm at a loss too, but I'll look around to see if there's something which may help to fix this problem. :wink:
Eric

NTL/Virgin Media ...

Postby maxicomm » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:24 pm

Hi,

I've just got off the phone with Virgin Media Tech support escalations team ... they have checked everything that they can and report that the smtp servers are OK and that as Outlook is working fine, both send and receive, there are obviously NO winsock issues with the PCs here and point the finger directly toward the program!

As a last resort, I'm cobbling together a spare PC from bits I have here and will try to install BArca Pro from the download which I have.

If that returns errors under a fresh XP install with no other progs on the PC then we will know for sure that the download is either defective or there is some sort of code issue in the program.

Will advise later on the outcome!
maxicomm
Poco Tourist

Re: NTL/Virgin Media ...

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 23, 2008 10:32 pm

maxicomm wrote:there are obviously NO winsock issues with the PCs here and point the finger directly toward the program!
That's the most obvious response they'll give you.
It may or may not be related to Barca. Still not sure about the outcome. :?
As a last resort, I'm cobbling together a spare PC from bits I have here and will try to install BArca Pro from the download which I have.
Thanks for trying it that.
I'm curious what that will give.

Some other info: Port 25 Blocking, since it could be they're blocking Barca on that port.
Will advise later on the outcome!
Thanks again & good luck with it. ;)
Eric

Next

Return to Barca Help and How-To