[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Showing message mark names

Showing message mark names

Scripting questions and ideas

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin, Michael

Showing message mark names

Postby SzDoc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:47 am

So, I just imported my Eudora messages (all 76,683) into PM. Unfortunately, all my sent messages in each folder were marked as "unread," so I had to go in an manually mark folders as "mark all read" (except in folders wherein I had not actually read all the messages, as best I can recall). But, I digress...

I am somewhat colorblind. I used the Eudora label facility extensively. The name of the label was in the requisite column in the index view. In PM, this is not the case. So, I created a custom column called x-mark and compresses all the folders. This took a while. But, again, I digress.

Unfortunately, the mark label is not showing up in the x-mark column. What did I do wrong? The colors alone will not be sufficient. I need to see the mark name.

I have been most impressed by the rapid turn around in these fora. Thanks to all who obviously contribute without compensation. I, for one, appreciate it.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:09 am

The x-mark will show the number of the message marking, not the name.

I can't think of any other way than through a script.
You could write a simple script that will
a) write the name of the marking to some custom header
b) also write the appropriate value to the x-mark header

It shall look like this, but I'm sorry I didn't have time to test:
Code: Select all
AppendToFile True
DeleteHeader "XMarking:" %message
AddHeader %message "XMarking:" "Urgent"
DeleteHeader "X-Mark:" %message
AddHeader %message "X-Mark:" "1"
SaveMessage %message $currentmailbox
DeleteMessage %message

You'd have to create as many scripts as you have markings.
You can assing each script to a button in the toolbar, through Tools > Scripts, Buttons tab.
Perhaps it could also be possible to compress this functionality to one script that will show a menu with options to choose from, an example that could be drawn from is http://www.mts.net/~mbreault/scripts/bplate.htm
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby SzDoc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:48 am

Tomas wrote:The x-mark will show the number of the message marking, not the name.

The number would be fine. All I get is an empty field.

Sigh...

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 24, 2008 9:19 pm

SzDoc wrote:The number would be fine. All I get is an empty field.
Compress that folder first so the number will show up. :)
Eric

Postby SzDoc » Thu Jul 24, 2008 11:21 pm

So, each time I mark a message, I have to compress the folder in which it is contained for the number to appear? Odd...

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:44 am

SzDoc wrote:So, each time I mark a message, I have to compress the folder in which it is contained for the number to appear? Odd...
Can't verify it here, but you do have to compress your folder once to activate that column. :)

Will look at it later on, when I get home. ;)
Eric

Postby SzDoc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:06 am

Eric wrote:
SzDoc wrote:So, each time I mark a message, I have to compress the folder in which it is contained for the number to appear? Odd...
Can't verify it here, but you do have to compress your folder once to activate that column. :)

Will look at it later on, when I get home. ;)

New marks don't show up until folder compressed again. And global compress does not seem to work.

NB: Working on writing my first (rudimentary) script: Need a one button solution to create an e-mail to a particular recipient from a particular account (of which there are 12).

Eric: THANKS!!
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 25, 2008 5:51 am

SzDoc wrote:New marks don't show up until folder compressed again. And global compress does not seem to work.
Yep, just tested it here.
I don't use it as a new column, instead it shows up in the Preview pane, meaning the x-mailer or another of your choice.
If you do want that, you can simply uncheck Custom 1, 2 or 3.

As for marking messages, you can simply press the flag next to the messages. You can change the marking easily and you can use the Focus to find those marked messages.
If you hoover over the message, it will show the text of that marking. 8)

Compress All Folders works here, although there's a bug, since it erases the setting of the Backup path. :?
NB: Working on writing my first (rudimentary) script: Need a one button solution to create an e-mail to a particular recipient from a particular account (of which there are 12).
If that contact is present in Contacts, you could first create your template.
Next edit your contact > Templates and select the one you just created with the right account.

Not a button, but it works. :)
Eric: THANKS!!
My pleasure.
If you do have other questions, Tomas or other members will respond.
I'm going on vacation now ... finally. :lol: :wink:
Eric

Postby SzDoc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:03 am

Eric wrote:
SzDoc wrote:New marks don't show up until folder compressed again. And global compress does not seem to work.
I don't use it as a new column, instead it shows up in the Preview pane, meaning the x-mailer or another of your choice.
If you do want that, you can simply uncheck Custom 1, 2 or 3.

What I need is the ability to distinguish different marks or labels in the index pane, since I often have many tens of messages marked with different labels, and I need to be able, at a glance, scrolling through the index, see where I stand (with a project for example).

As for marking messages, you can simply press the flag next to the messages.

Now that I missed. Makes initial marking of messages much more expedient. A most useful feature.

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:48 pm

SzDoc wrote:What I need is the ability to distinguish different marks or labels in the index pane, since I often have many tens of messages marked with different labels, and I need to be able, at a glance, scrolling through the index, see where I stand (with a project for example).
Don't know if it's what you're looking for, but using the Focus you could display those marked messages, even when looking at another mailbox.
Now that I missed. Makes initial marking of messages much more expedient. A most useful feature.
Not missed, only a bit forgotten. I use it all the time.

See you. ;)
Eric

Postby SzDoc » Fri Jul 25, 2008 10:44 pm

Eric wrote:
SzDoc wrote:What I need is the ability to distinguish different marks or labels in the index pane, since I often have many tens of messages marked with different labels, and I need to be able, at a glance, scrolling through the index, see where I stand (with a project for example).
Don't know if it's what you're looking for, but using the Focus you could display those marked messages, even when looking at another mailbox.

Unfortunately not. I need to be able to see them in context.

Thanks.
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Sat Jul 26, 2008 8:46 am

Eric wrote:

If a script is used, something along the lines I posted earlier in the thread, the number will show up correctly.
(That's because the script will in fact create a new message as a copy of the original. While the issue mentioned is that the column of existing message is not redrawn to show new value.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby SzDoc » Sun Jul 27, 2008 12:32 am

Thanks
SzDoc
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoScript Help and How-To