[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Contact list divided

Contact list divided

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Contact list divided

Postby drjamie03 » Wed Oct 01, 2008 4:54 am

I can't figure this out. In my contacts pane, I have my VIP contacts listed, then it is broken up by two categories (for example, Hidden Addresses, which is where I have addresses listed that I want to keep in contacts but which I don't use often, so I put them in that folder to save space in my Contacts pane). So it might be...Joe Smith, VIP, Barry Jones, VIP, Hidden addresses, Mary Jefferson...
I want to be able to have the Hidden Addresses folder at the end of the list instead of in the middle. I tried changing the name of it by adding a Z to the beginning, but this didn't work.

Any way to do this?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Re: Contact list divided

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:09 am

drjamie03 wrote:Any way to do this?
Don't quite understand what you mean by: "In my contacts pane, I have my VIP contacts listed, then it is broken up by two categories (for example, Hidden Addresses, which is where I have addresses listed that I want to keep in contacts but which I don't use often, so I put them in that folder to save space in my Contacts pane). So it might be...Joe Smith, VIP, Barry Jones, VIP, Hidden addresses, Mary Jefferson..."

Do you mean those Hidden Addresses are groups or is it Contacts, since that would show the categories :?:

Perhaps a screenshot could help me to better understand your question. :)
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 5:27 am

Actually, I'm not sure...but it seems to work now when I added 'z" to the beginning of the group names (looking at it now, I think they are groups within the contacts). I know I have sorted the contact pane numerous times and it never worked before. It does seem to lose the sorting when you change address books, as I do often (I have one for business and one for personal). I also often get an access violation when I switch from one address book to another, which I addressed in another thread (it never got resolved so I decided to just deal with it...it's not that big a deal).
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:16 am

drjamie03 wrote:Actually, I'm not sure...but it seems to work now when I added 'z" to the beginning of the group names (looking at it now, I think they are groups within the contacts).
Ah, got it now. So you're looking at the Contacts pane.
Groups are sorted first, next contacts.
I also often get an access violation when I switch from one address book to another, which I addressed in another thread (it never got resolved so I decided to just deal with it...it's not that big a deal).
:shock: Don't get any access violations here.
I guess something got corrupted, so maybe better to reset your barca.ini.

You'll lose all preferences/settings in doing so, but maybe it will help to get rid of those annoying AV's.

1. Close Barca and rename barca.ini to barca_old.ini
2. Restart Barca

See if that helps. ;)
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 6:49 am

Thanks, Eric. I've done that more than once and it recurs. I'm not looking for help on that as it's a minor irritation and I can deal with it until the next version of Barca comes out. Thanks for trying, though! :-)
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:02 am

You're welcome Jamie. ;)
Hope that problem will not return with the next beta.
Wish we could find out what's corrupting that ini-file, since some do experience problems with it and others never do. :roll:
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:08 am

Ok...well, I"m willing to continue troubleshooting it if it would help others.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:33 pm

drjamie03 wrote:Ok...well, I"m willing to continue troubleshooting it if it would help others.
Indeed, it would help to track down this problem. :)

Have a fine weekend Jamie. ;)
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:48 am

Interesting. I tried renaming barca.ini to barca.old but when I started Barca, it still had all of the settings and etc. I'm a little confused about which installation is the one I'm using since I have reinstalled Barca, as well as made new installations in order to try to fix this. I thought I had the correct one since I created a couple of new folders that showed up in the folder with the barca.ini that I changed. (in other words, I created two oddly named folders and subfolders before looking for the correct installation folder for Barca so that I could make sure it was the right one, and the new folders were in the folder where I changed the barca.ini). Does that make sense?! :-)

Any other thoughts on how I can find the correct folder to change the barca.ini?
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:24 am

drjamie03 wrote:Any other thoughts on how I can find the correct folder to change the barca.ini?
It doesn't make sense at all, so my guess is that you changed the wrong barca.ini. :?
Perform a search for all barca.ini's on your PC, so you'll know how many there are.

If XP, it should be present in C:\Program Files\Barca.
If Vista, you can find it in C:\Users\Your username\AppData\Roaming\Barca.

Else maybe you're using a startin command.

Hope you'll find it. ;)
Eric

Postby drjamie03 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 4:47 am

Good suggestion. I did find the correct one after searching for barca.ini. It was in a very odd place, and I'm sure I put it there!!! :-) I have a LOT of barca.ini files on my computer, I think because I have put backups all over the place to ensure I have a backup copy in case my computer crashes. I also have a few different users set up as archives so I don't have all of the emails I've ever gotten being loaded when I use Barca. Maybe there's an easier way to archive but it's what I've come up with.
Jamie P
drjamie03
Poco Enthusiast

Return to Barca Help and How-To