[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Mystery extra folder

Mystery extra folder

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Mystery extra folder

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:10 pm

I have a mystery extra folder (with 2 sub-folders) which I did not put there, and it is behaving in a disturbing way.

The extra folder is called "Special Folders" and the sub-folders are called "Search" and "New Mail".

The disturbing thing is the folder "New Mail". When I check mail and Barca downloads new mails from my ISP, Barca seems to put these new mails in 2 different places: the "In" box (which is where I want them), and the "New Mail" box (which I don't want and never created).
When I have processed the new mails in the "In" box (i.e. moved them to folders or deleted them), I find they are still sitting there in "New Mail". Does this mean that I have to go through incoming mails and process them twice (once in the "In" box, once in "New Mail")?

As far as I am aware, the "Special Folders" structure was created when I did a search for mails, so the parent folder and the "Search" sub-folder seem to be logical (and I don't mind them as long as they don't pull a fast one on me). But the "New Mail" folder is a very disturbing oddball.

I must say I am getting rather alarmed about the number of unexpected things that happen in Barca. Perhaps they result from the customisability that some users love so much - but the program seems to be so customisable that automatic settings are somehow triggered without the user being aware of them, and experts on the forum or the helpdesk must be consulted before I know what bells and whistles to use to get rid of the "surprises".
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Sun Oct 12, 2008 8:54 pm

Another surprise: when I select messages in the "New Mails" folder, right click them and use the context menu to "move to folder", they are moved to the selected folder as they should be, but they are not deleted from the "New Mails" folder.
However, if I delete mails with the delete button, they are deleted properly.

This is not quite the same as the bug I observed a week or two ago in the "In" folder, where if the last mail in the folder is moved via the above method, the content remains visible in the message preview pane.
In the "In" folder bug, the message is removed from the In box (it is not displayed in the list of mails, and if I click elsewhere and return to the In box it is not there). The "New Mails" bug seems more unpredictable.
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:09 am

You don't have to worry about the New Mail folder at all. It basically just contains references to the originals of new messages.
It's a feature that some find useful and some don't.
I guess the major usage for it is if you have many various folders and lots of filters, and wish to see all email downloaded recently, New Mails is where you can see them all in one place.

If you have no use for it, you can completely disable special folders: go to Options (through menu Tools > Options), select Advanced, and in the right panel under Interface options, there is an option to Show Special folders, untick it and click OK to save options.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Victor Dewsbery » Mon Oct 13, 2008 12:19 am

Thanks for this solution.

Meanwhile, the mystery tour continues!
Victor Dewsbery
Berlin, Germany
Victor Dewsbery
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To