[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Filter for moving message to individual sub-folder

Filter for moving message to individual sub-folder

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Gordon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 5:44 am

It appears this subject has been recently addressed, but I'm not sure if the comments and responses apply to my situation. I send replies to 40-50 messages daily, and save both the original message, and my reply in the sender's sub-folder.

Question:
Aside from dragging a message to a specific sub-folder, or moving the message by using my mouse, (right click, move msg to, etc.) is it possible to construct a filter in BarcaPro that could be used to do that? Ie: use control F7 to move a selected message to the sender's sub-folder as specified in a filter that uses the last name of the message sender as the target sub-folder destination? Or something along that line?

Thanks.

Gordon
Gordon
Poco Tourist

Re: Filter for moving message to individual sub-folder

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:03 am

Hi Gordon,
Gordon wrote: Aside from dragging a message to a specific sub-folder, or moving the message by using my mouse, (right click, move msg to, etc.) is it possible to construct a filter in BarcaPro that could be used to do that? Ie: use control F7 to move a selected message to the sender's sub-folder as specified in a filter that uses the last name of the message sender as the target sub-folder destination? Or something along that line?
If that contact is present in your address book, you could simply drop that contact onto that folder to create both, meaning an incoming and outgoing filter. 8)
See als Tools > Options > Drag and Drop Settings.

Or if they are part of one address book and one folder/subfolder you could try the script save_by_book.

I don't know of any controls which aren't triggered by scripts or filters who could perform such an action. Perhaps someone knows more about it. :)
Eric

Moving messages

Postby Gordon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 9:09 am

Thank you. Just for info, I spent some time searching on Poco Forum, and also on the net before posting here. Found nothing on the forum, but there were lots and lots of listings on the net from folks asking how to write a keyboard shortcut that would move a message from the inbox or sent box of their email program to a different folder or sub-folder. Some email programs have a script for doing that, so I was hoping that someone knows if, or how that can be done in BarcaPro.

Gordon
Gordon
Poco Tourist

Postby Tomas » Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:15 am

Unless I have missed something, this could be viable way:
- setup a filter: press F4, and click on one of the numbered tabs, 1,2,3 or 4, and setup any filter you wish there
- they are so called "manual filters", they are not run automatically but manually
- then you can use appropriate shortcut to run the filters. You are limited to four shortcuts, CTRL+F5 will run all filters in group 1, CTRL+F6 for group 2, and so on.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: Filter for moving message to individual sub-folder

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:23 am

Gordon wrote:save both the original message, and my reply in the sender's sub-folder.

I do this.

With your predefined incoming filters are you using them to move those messages to specific subfolders? (Example: a Friends folder, with subfolders for each friend) This is what I am doing. I then go through each folder with new messages and read, reply as needed.

The replies are handled with a Post-Send filter that does the same thing as the corresponding Incoming filter except it triggers on To: instead of From:. I create the Incoming filter first, then copy it to Post-Send and just change Search From: to Search To:. This places each reply in the same folder as the original message.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Gordon » Tue Oct 14, 2008 1:56 pm

Thanks Chris -- I've been working on your solution, but having a bit of trouble figuring out how to set it up as a one-shot filter so that an incoming email is automatically sent to the appropriate sub-folder. I have 40+ sub-folders that match the sender's name as it's listed in my contact folder. Is it possible to do that automatically, or do I need to set a filter up for each contact?
Gordon
Gordon
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Oct 14, 2008 2:58 pm

Hi Gordon,

I don't think it's possible to do a one shot filter. I might be misunderstanding what you mean on that though.

I have a bunch of Incoming filters that move messages based on the From: address to a corresponding folder. The only way I can get the replies to be placed in that same corresponding folder is create a like Post-Send filter for that same address, in this case filtering on the To: address. This all happens without user intervention. Incoming messages are filtered to there respective folders and replies are filter that same. End result is the original and reply (or forward) is saved in the same folder. Of course with a new contact that I want to do this with I will have to create the corresponding subfolder, Incoming and Post-Send filters.

This does bring up a nice have feature idea. A setting in PocoMail/Barca for replies made on messages other than Inbox, save the reply in the same folder instead of the Sent. Even better make this a by folder (properties) setting with the option to apply to subfolders. This way you could have some folders that behave this way and other that do not.

I would like to something like this for Block Images and Sanitize, Ignore HTML too.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Gordon » Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:54 am

Thank you very much Chris and Tomas, I appreciate your taking the time to respond -- much appreciated.

Gordon
Gordon
Poco Tourist

Return to Barca Help and How-To