[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca2, not for me.

Barca2, not for me.

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca2, not for me.

Postby wbear » Tue Jul 29, 2008 12:06 pm

I went back to Eudora.
I tried, I really did. I wanted the task manager and the ability to keep it all in one application, but in the end (after buying Barca2), gave up.
Why?
In a word, productivity.
I couldn't get used to the work flow. I was losing mail (for the most part not permanently, mind you...just losing track of things), and clients were getting incredibly ticked off that I wasn't replying.
Folders don't behave like I'm used to: mail comes in, I wanted it to stay open until I handled it. It simply refused.
I tried the 'new mail' folder...and that would remove mail older than x hours as new mail came in. It was quirky. Sometimes it would remain there all day, other times (without being read) they would vanish almost immediately. Some messages didn't trigger the new mail number next to the folder it was in, so tracing where a missing message wound up was taking ages. There were more than a few that I can remember seeing in the 'new mail' folder that never did turn up in any of the other folders after vanishing from there. I had no filters set to delete anything, so they were simply dropped, it would appear. I searched by date, sender, words I recalled, subject I recalled and so on...nothing. Finally went through every folder (I have loads) one by one manually.
Gone. Hope they weren't important.

Found the HTML handling was different on just about every message that arrived. Some would show raw code, others formatted, yet others a mix!?

I liked the quick filter to show only certain messages.
I liked how easy it was to add, edit and remove filters.
I liked how easy it was to add users to the address book.
I liked how simple it was to view an attachment from within a message.

Hated mail handling in general.
Hated how hard it was to keep mail visible that needed to be dealt with.
Hated the goofy (sorry) 3-D-ish highlighting labels added (you might consider a 'plain Jane' version of labelling alongside the 3-D ugliness. .
Hated how whenever a message came in it expanded every darn folder I had in the left 'tree' instead of just the ones that got new messages.
Hated that the import from Eudora required an interim import into Outlook Express (about 40 minutes), and importing from that application took *all day*. About 10 hours in all, on a fast system. Granted I had a lot of mail to move, but 10 hours?

That's about it, I suppose. I'm sure I could think of a few more, but that's the bulk of it. I've switched back to Eudora, and hope I never need to switch off it. Sorry I'd paid for Barca, to be honest, as it's so radically different than the way I need to use email that it's untenable for me. I do appreciate the help I recieved here, as the folks that help on this forum are top notch. Thanks for that. :D

Anyone want to buy a slightly used copy. ;)
(humor, as I realize it's likely not allowed to sell it)
wbear
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 29, 2008 5:22 pm

wbear wrote:I went back to Eudora.
I tried, I really did. I wanted the task manager and the ability to keep it all in one application, but in the end (after buying Barca2), gave up.
Sorry to hear wbear, but sometimes you can't get used to an application when you've used another several years non-stop.
:?
Strange however that some mails disappeared, because for as long as I remember, I never had missing messages. Had a certain amount of blank messages :cry:, but that was due to a spam filter.
If those messages you received ended up in your Junk mail folder and you emptied it, then these are gone.
But as long as this folder isn't compressed, you can get those back. :)

Also same as here at work, I don't mark messages as read until these are processed, although I've read those already. I've unchecked that box in Options. This way I know some messages still need attention and others are marked, so using the Focus I can easily find these back.
For others I simply make a task, so I'm alerted when it does need to be responded too. All done with a click of a button above the Preview pane in Barca. 8)
In Outlook dropping the email on the Task bar.
Found the HTML handling was different on just about every message that arrived. Some would show raw code, others formatted, yet others a mix!?
In that area it still needs some work, but I'm pretty satisfied for now.

As with every email client it does have its advantages and disadvantages. Some may be addressed in the coming update this month, although I don't know yet what will have changed. Seems to be a big surprise from Slaven. :lol:
Hated the goofy (sorry) 3-D-ish highlighting labels added (you might consider a 'plain Jane' version of labelling alongside the 3-D ugliness.
Yep, I would have preferred colored labels, instead of a colored bar. Sometimes it makes the subject almost unreadable. You can however change the color to your liking. :)
Hated how whenever a message came in it expanded every darn folder I had in the left 'tree' instead of just the ones that got new messages.
Yes, each time mail comes in, it expands every folder containing a message.
I like that better then with Eudora who added severy folders in my taskbar.
Even in Outlook I do have a problem that it doesn't show mail inside a subfolder, unless you unfold it.
It's shown in Unread messages, but still it's not my kind of preference. :?
Hated that the import from Eudora required an interim import into Outlook Express (about 40 minutes), and importing from that application took *all day*. About 10 hours in all, on a fast system. Granted I had a lot of mail to move, but 10 hours?
There's an easier way to do it, but it all depends on how many messages you have.
That's about it, I suppose. I'm sure I could think of a few more, but that's the bulk of it. I've switched back to Eudora, and hope I never need to switch off it. Sorry I'd paid for Barca, to be honest, as it's so radically different than the way I need to use email that it's untenable for me.
Please do check back, since there's another update coming pretty soon.
Not to draw you away from Eudora, but to know what has changed, so perhaps you'll give it another try.
I do appreciate the help I recieved here, as the folks that help on this forum are top notch. Thanks for that. :D
Our pleasure to help you with it & thanks for your appreciation.

Take care wbear & good luck with Eudora. :wink:
Eric

Postby MayCat » Sun Dec 21, 2008 8:59 pm

You written - no empty and bad messages? Many-many examples. If recipient use koi8-r or UTF-8 or iso-8859-1 you will have many bad messages and many errors of barca pro. Also, barca pro don't understand messages with two formats html+plain and split this messages on _alt.txt and _alt.html with text in "view winfow" ~ next:

чÃ
MayCat
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:13 pm

MayCat wrote:You written - no empty and bad messages? Many-many examples. If recipient use koi8-r or UTF-8 or iso-8859-1 you will have many bad messages and many errors of barca pro. Also, barca pro don't understand messages with two formats html+plain and split this messages on _alt.txt and _alt.html with text in "view winfow" ~ next:
If you do receive such messages please send those as attachment to Support. Make sure they haven't been processed by Barca Pro yet.
Meaning if you got the chance to save those directly from the server.

As said before I don't experience any problems with incoming messages. :?
Eric

Postby Tomas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:47 am

I wasn't yet made aware of the _alt.txt and _alt.html issue you mention, except by you in one of your earlier posts here. The problem with cyrillics is well known and commented in depth in many older threads. Since it requires rewrite of substantial part of the code, it's unfortunately coming very slowly.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to General Discussion