[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Show all mail

Show all mail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Sun Feb 15, 2009 10:02 am

I'm new to PocoMail so I'm 'feeling' my way around. I want to be able to show all mail (all folders) as Unread. I know I can do that folder by folder but as soon as new mail comes in I have to remark the particular folder again (as Unread Mail). Is there a generic setting/switch that I can toggle between Show all Mail, Show Unread Mail, etc.? I read the following in PocoMail Help (via Google) but I can't find the Show Only Bar. Would appreciate some help. Thank you.
Using the Show Only Bar
In the event that a thread is not automatically expanded when new mail is threaded, but you know there's new mail there because the last mail checked status pane says there is or the mailbox pane shows new messages in the mailbox in question, you can use the Show Only Bar to find those "hidden" or otherwise hard to find messages. Any actions using Show Only will work only in the active message index. This feature can be used with both threaded and unthreaded index display.

The Show Only Bar is on Index Toolbar at the upper right just before the Thread icon. Clicking on the "all mail" will access a drop down menu of choices. Click on unread mail. Only unread messages will be displayed in the index pane and all the rest will be hidden from the view.

Using any of the "mail" options will expand the Show Only bar to show a blank field. You can then specify the subject of the messages you want displayed in the index pane. While most of the options are specific, the search on subject will be broad. That is, PocoMail will search and match characters to the "subject" field, and display any messages that contain that string, but not only that string, as in image below. Note that all messages with the subject containing the word "job" are displayed in the index pane. (Note also that threading is active as the "T" icon is in reverse video.)
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Re: Show all mail

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:14 am

Hi lvsunz & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
lvsunz wrote: I read the following in PocoMail Help (via Google) but I can't find the Show Only Bar.
Above the index of messages you'll find the box 'Instant Search'. Click inside it and all the other functions will be revealed. :)
Next click on 'All unread'.

Here are some pictures to show you what it is you're looking for:

Instant Search

Show only bar

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:28 am

Eric,
Thank you for the response. I'm sorry I can't find Instant Search anywhere. I can't even find in the Help menu. I found Instant Reply under the Message pulldown but not Instant Search and I don't see it above the Message Index (I assume that's the center pane, adjacent to the Folders/Contacts sidebar.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:21 am

lvsunz wrote:Eric,
Thank you for the response.
My pleasure lvsunz. ;)
I'm sorry I can't find Instant Search anywhere. I can't even find in the Help menu. I found Instant Reply under the Message pulldown but not Instant Search and I don't see it above the Message Index (I assume that's the center pane, adjacent to the Folders/Contacts sidebar.
Weird, but it could happen. :?
You're right about your assumption. :)

Go to Tools > Options > Advanced > Interface Options and check 'Show Focus Box'.
Now you'll be able to see that Instant Search. :P
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Mon Feb 16, 2009 10:49 am

You're very patient Eric - thank you.

My bad - I was looking for a box that was labeled 'Instant Search.' Sorry. I now see the Focus Box and I checked "Unread." I'm still a little confused though. If the focus is on only Unread messages and I want to see all messages in one or more folders that have been Read, don't I still need to click on Show Only By (All Unread Messages)?

What I'm looking for is the ability to see (optionally) all messages in each folder (like I can in Thunderbird or Outlook Express). Of course even though I'm just getting my feet wet with PM, I can already see that it has many desirable features that the others don't.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:39 am

lvsunz wrote:If the focus is on only Unread messages and I want to see all messages in one or more folders that have been Read, don't I still need to click on Show Only By (All Unread Messages)?
Once the focus has been set, it is applied to all folders/subfolders. You can check/uncheck it at will, depending on you want to see. :)
It doesn't work on folder by folder.
What I'm looking for is the ability to see (optionally) all messages in each folder (like I can in Thunderbird or Outlook Express). Of course even though I'm just getting my feet wet with PM, I can already see that it has many desirable features that the others don't.
See above about the focus on folder/subfolders. I've never used TB nor OE for long, so I can't comment on that. :?
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:42 am

OK Eric- thanks again. Have a great day!
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:21 am

Have a great day too lvsunz. ;)
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:16 pm

Eric,

Not sure I'm doing this the right way so apologize if not.

Revisiting this 'problem': when I check 'Unread', 'Read' & 'Focus Sub-folders' under Focus on Messages, my understanding is that all messages in all Folders will be visible in the center pane (relative to the folder that I open). If my understanding is correct then that is not working - of course I may be doing something else wrong (or not doing something I should be doing). Would appreciate further assist on this. Thank you.

lvsunz wrote:
If the focus is on only Unread messages and I want to see all messages in one or more folders that have been Read, don't I still need to click on Show Only By (All Unread Messages)?
Once the focus has been set, it is applied to all folders/subfolders. You can check/uncheck it at will, depending on you want to see. Smile
It doesn't work on folder by folder.
Quote:
See above about the focus on folder/subfolders. I've never used TB nor OE for long, so I can't comment on that. Confused
lvsunz
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 3:49 pm Post subject: Show all mail
You're very patient Eric - thank you.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:17 am

lvsunz wrote:Eric,

Not sure I'm doing this the right way so apologize if not.

Revisiting this 'problem': when I check 'Unread', 'Read' & 'Focus Sub-folders' under Focus on Messages, my understanding is that all messages in all Folders will be visible in the center pane (relative to the folder that I open). If my understanding is correct then that is not working - of course I may be doing something else wrong (or not doing something I should be doing). Would appreciate further assist on this. Thank you.
If you've the focus active, you only need to click the cross undo all changes.
Or perhaps I'm understanding it wrong.

Need some sleep, so till later. ;)
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:44 pm

Thanks for the response Eric.
I'm beginning to think that PM doesn't offer the capability I'm looking for. I'll use three folders as examples:

In
Sent
Junk

Assume that the IN folder has 20 Emails, 12 of them have been read but not moved.

Assume that the SENT folder has 65 Emails, all obviously have been 'read'.

Assume that the JUNK folder has 48 Emails, again all have been read.

My objective is to have a way (filter, function, etc.) to tell PM to mark all Emails in all three folders Unread (or Read).

In other words do for all Folders what Focus on Messages (Unread, Read) enables for individual Emails.

I know I can do this by individual Folder (Mark all Read or Unread) but being able to do this globally for all folders would be more convenient.

Maybe I'm overreaching?
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Postby Eric » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:24 pm

lvsunz wrote:Thanks for the response Eric.
I'm beginning to think that PM doesn't offer the capability I'm looking for.
I know I can do this by individual Folder (Mark all Read or Unread) but being able to do this globally for all folders would be more convenient.

Maybe I'm overreaching?
You're welcome lvsunz.
As you already guessed Poco/Barca isn't able to do that. Only folder by folder will it work. :?

Not overreaching, but simply not available at present. ;)
Eric

Show all mail

Postby lvsunz » Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:05 am

Thanks Eric. Maybe in a later release.
lvsunz
Poco Tourist

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To