[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - IMAP Resync and Online Folders

IMAP Resync and Online Folders

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

IMAP Resync and Online Folders

Postby skinsch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:33 am

Hi!

I just installed Barca Pro 2 and really think this might be the client to replace my fat/bloated Outlook 2007. I've used Outlook for years now and Barca appears to be a nice replacment.

Regardless, I just have a few questions to start off with...

1) It appears that when I imported from Outlook that the Calendar did not, nor did the Todo Lists and Notes. I found a solution in the form here for the Calendar export as iCal, but what of the others?

2) I left most of the install / import options as the default, but definitely reveiewed each one. I wasn't too sure about the definition of my New mail being "In" as default vs. the "Inbox" in the IMAP folder. After the import, I noticied that my new mail was being delivered in the "In" Shortcuts area, I changed it to the standard "Inbox" in my IMAP folders. What happens to the current "In" mail? Do I move it (drag/drop) to the IMAP "Inbox"?

3) I moved a message from my "Inbox" Folder of which I believe is my IMAP tree to another in the Folder list but I checked via the server (webmail) and the message did not move to the IMAP sub-folder. Did it move to the local folder instead? In other words, is the Folders list my IMAP tree or is it the local folders? (Is this my IMAP tree or the Outlook converted list of folders created locally?)

4) Anyone syncing with their Treo 755p the Mail/Calendar/Notes/Todos? If so, can you help me with a link or two on the process?

5) How can I refresh my Folders with the IMAP server?

6) How can I make a folder or sub-folder that I use often as a Shortcut in the shortcuts area?

Thanks again! I love the UI and it seems like a great product so far!

Thanks in advance,
Shane
skinsch
New Arrival

Re: IMAP Resync and Online Folders

Postby Tomas » Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:02 am

Hi Shane, welcome to the forum!

skinsch wrote:1) It appears that when I imported from Outlook that the Calendar did not, nor did the Todo Lists and Notes. I found a solution in the form here for the Calendar export as iCal, but what of the others?

Todo list can be imported using a user made utility, unfortunately the download location is down, but if you will let me know your email address or submit a support request to Pocosystems helpdesk, I can send the file to you (it's 1.5 MB). If that's too much let me know, maybe I can find a place somewhere to upload it temporarily.

2) I left most of the install / import options as the default, but definitely reveiewed each one. I wasn't too sure about the definition of my New mail being "In" as default vs. the "Inbox" in the IMAP folder. After the import, I noticied that my new mail was being delivered in the "In" Shortcuts area, I changed it to the standard "Inbox" in my IMAP folders. What happens to the current "In" mail? Do I move it (drag/drop) to the IMAP "Inbox"?

I couldn't fully understand what you did, nor do I think it's possible at all.
In folder is a local folder, Inbox in Online Folders is basically an index of the Inbox folder that's located on server. Two completely different things.
If you only wish to work through Online Folders without any downloads to local In folder, you can disable email checking in account configuration.

3) I moved a message from my "Inbox" Folder of which I believe is my IMAP tree to another in the Folder list but I checked via the server (webmail) and the message did not move to the IMAP sub-folder. Did it move to the local folder instead? In other words, is the Folders list my IMAP tree or is it the local folders? (Is this my IMAP tree or the Outlook converted list of folders created locally?)

Only Online Folders and subfolders are IMAP folders.

4) Anyone syncing with their Treo 755p the Mail/Calendar/Notes/Todos? If so, can you help me with a link or two on the process?

I don't think it's possible. Palm syncing utility was abandoned few years ago, it doesn't work with latest devices.

5) How can I refresh my Folders with the IMAP server?

You shall have Online Operation enabled (through menu File > Online Operation).
Manually, while you are in Online Folders, you can select from main program menu Folder > Online Tools, there you can refresh. Or in top level IMAP account folder (one level above Inbox folder] you have a link "Refresh All Mailboxes".

6) How can I make a folder or sub-folder that I use often as a Shortcut in the shortcuts area?

That's not possible as far as I'm aware. You can have such folder pinned in a tab - after the folder is opened, right click on it's tab below the main program toolbar and select "Pin this tab" from the context menu.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Re: IMAP Resync and Online Folders

Postby skinsch » Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:22 am

Thanks Tomas!

Tomas wrote:Hi Shane, welcome to the forum!

skinsch wrote:1) It appears that when I imported from Outlook that the Calendar did not, nor did the Todo Lists and Notes. I found a solution in the form here for the Calendar export as iCal, but what of the others?

Todo list can be imported using a user made utility, unfortunately the download location is down, but if you will let me know your email address or submit a support request to Pocosystems helpdesk, I can send the file to you (it's 1.5 MB). If that's too much let me know, maybe I can find a place somewhere to upload it temporarily.

Nice, thanks. I'll PM you my email address.

I couldn't fully understand what you did, nor do I think it's possible at all.
In folder is a local folder, Inbox in Online Folders is basically an index of the Inbox folder that's located on server. Two completely different things.
If you only wish to work through Online Folders without any downloads to local In folder, you can disable email checking in account configuration.

I guess I'm a bit confused on how you can identify a Persaonl folder (as in Outlook) vs. an Online folder (working via IMAP). When installed, it wanted to put new messages in the "In" box (Under the Contacts). I'm just use to working out of the "Inbox" under my folder tree that's associated with my IMAP folders. The messages that are in the "In" box are not located in the "Inbox" (Folder tree) after I changed locations for new messages to be delivered to the Inbox. Do I need to drag/drop those messages to the Inbox?

Only Online Folders and subfolders are IMAP folders.

Since I imported from Outlook, it's made things a bit confusing in determining which is a local folder vs. Online folder. I failed to notice a separate group under Folders that contained the Online Folders. I'm Resyncing as I write this...

so the question is now, the Folders that I do have listed under the "Folders" group that was imported from Outlook, are they updated with the changes from the Online folders or would the now be considered my "Personal folders" (as in Outlook)?

What's the purpose of the "In" box except to copy the IMAP Inbox locally... correct? If so, what is the "best practice" for incoming mail? Have Barca deliver it to the "In" local folder or keep it in the Online Folders? I've notice that when I'm selecting messages in the Online Folder (new mail in the Inbox) that the messages are there, but the content is not. Is this a sync issue with the local and the server?

I don't think it's possible. Palm syncing utility was abandoned few years ago, it doesn't work with latest devices.

Ugh.. Maybe I'll look for a Calendar sync solution for the Treo then. If Barca can update an online calendar, then we should be good. Especially if you use Google Calendar or such. Can Barca use (publish or sync) with Google Calendar? If so, that might be my solution.

Thanks again for your quick response.
skinsch
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:42 am

I guess I'm a bit confused on how you can identify a Persaonl folder (as in Outlook) vs. an Online folder (working via IMAP). When installed, it wanted to put new messages in the "In" box (Under the Contacts). I'm just use to working out of the "Inbox" under my folder tree that's associated with my IMAP folders. The messages that are in the "In" box are not located in the "Inbox" (Folder tree) after I changed locations for new messages to be delivered to the Inbox. Do I need to drag/drop those messages to the Inbox?

Local folder is everything except folders you see as subfolders of Online Folders. Online folders are all folders under top folder named Online Folders.

You can drag&drop messages between an online folder and local folder.
But as already discussed, these two are not synchronized.

so the question is now, the Folders that I do have listed under the "Folders" group that was imported from Outlook, are they updated with the changes from the Online folders or would the now be considered my "Personal folders" (as in Outlook)?

If they were imported from Outlook, they are local folders and do not get synced with IMAP folders (aka Online Folders).

What's the purpose of the "In" box except to copy the IMAP Inbox locally... correct?

Inbox is for the standard POP3 email usage.
Or for the people that use both IMAP and POP3 accounts.
For pure IMAP way of usage, you can ignore the Inbox folder.

If so, what is the "best practice" for incoming mail? Have Barca deliver it to the "In" local folder or keep it in the Online Folders?

That really depends upon your usage habits. I'd guess that for pure IMAP usage, you'd only use In folder.

You can mix both if you'll find a workflow/organization that makes sense for you.

Myself I'm a POP3 user, my only IMAP-only account I'm also using as if it was POP3 account (ie. downloading to local folders) and I'm only using Online Folders occasionally, while on the road for emergencies and quick checks or when I need to pre-check some account without downloading emails for some reason.

I've notice that when I'm selecting messages in the Online Folder (new mail in the Inbox) that the messages are there, but the content is not. Is this a sync issue with the local and the server?

You might need to put Barca into an online mode - through menu File > Online Operation. Also press F3, select account, click Edit, and in Incoming tab check that "Sync index automatically" option is ticked.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Tomas » Sat Feb 21, 2009 6:46 am

Can Barca use (publish or sync) with Google Calendar?

Current version cannot sync, though import and export is possible I believe. It's on the wishlist.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Barca Help and How-To