[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Blank imports and blank download from server

Blank imports and blank download from server

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Blank imports and blank download from server

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 5:06 pm

Installed Barca 2.5.0.3910 a few days ago to replace Eudora 7.
However, quite a number of the emails imported from Eudora show only the headers, the body content is blank.
I have tried deleting all and reinstalling with same result (the same imported email are blank).
I set the download not to delete from server to test, but, several of the downloaded emails are also blank - except for the header.

I get some HTML and some TEXT emails through, but there seem to be no consistency or other reason I can use to determine why.

One email today was a payments notification from paypal. The header and most other details were there, but most text in between top and bottom was missing.

Eudora downloads correctly.

Can anyone shed some light on this before I pay out money for Barca?

Thanks
Ben
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:55 pm

Hi Ben,

did you try compression? Through menu Folders > Compress all folders.

Also select through menu View > Options > Display Message Options, and check that you don't have Ignore HTML option selected.

If you have AVG, or maybe even with some other antivirus, disable the text certification message ("this message was scanned and is virus free.....") insertion, or perhaps even whole incoming message scanning functionality (email will still be scanned on the background).
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Ben » Mon Feb 23, 2009 7:45 pm

Thank you, Thomas.

Yes, I did compress all mailboxes, and yes, the HTML options are set correctly.
I use ZoneAlarm anti-virus which does not post any messages and also does not interfer with Eudora's Mail nor does it affect my wife's email program which is POCOMAIl (3.0 I think).

I expect this has something to do with HTML files. I have just opened the IN.~MBX (back-up) in Notepad and here you can decipher the missing text within the HTML. So whatever is causing it, it seems to be the way BARCA handles HTML??????
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:54 am

You can right-click in the message preview window of a message that doesn't show up some text, like the payments notification from paypal. From the context menu that will pop-up, select "View in browser". If the browser will show the message correctly, it's most probably a display problem.

Though i'm receiving paypal notification messages often and didn't notice a problem myself.

The problem with Eudora imports is known, some people can get it resolved by first compressing the emails in Eudora, then importing. If folder compression didn't help, you can also try to delete the index file (for example if the problem messages are in In folder, close Barca, and delete or rename or move elsewhere (so as to have a backup) the file In.idb, and start Barca). Though I'm not quite sure whether in this case it would be effective, it's almost the same as compressing that you tried already.

As a last resort, it's possible to use Aid4mail, commercial email convertor. Or you could try exporting from Eudora to a format Pocomail can handle (mbx, eml,...not sure what exactly Eudora can export).

You can try to submit a support request (through menu Help > Email support) for the newly arriving blank messages, as it's a case that's best solved by checking the message involved, which is not possible through the forum.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Ben » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:18 am

Thanks again Tomas (and sorry about misspelling your name).

When opening in the browser the message displays properly and full text. You say it is most likely a display problem. How?

Unfortunately Eudora does not EXPORT.
Compressing Eudora's folders first also produces no better result.

I have submitted a question to support.

Ben
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To