[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Are "sent" messages in GMail "new"?

Are "sent" messages in GMail "new"?

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Are "sent" messages in GMail "new"?

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:21 am

This may be a "how-to" post or "why?" one depending on how you look at it.

I have a GMail account configured as POP with Barca and when i occasionally send messages via web account the "sent" copies come in as "new" messages in Barca.

Is there anyway to have them simply sent to the "sent" box without being marked as new?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 1:28 am

That's how it works with Gmail. I tried but didn't find a way to change it, but perhaps there might be a way I'm not aware of.

I can't vouch for this, but I believe Gmail's implementation of POP is a bit specific, and this might be a side-effect, Gmail doesn't recognize folders in traditional way, it simply shows all new messages to POP client no matter whether they appear in the Inbox or Sent folder on the outside.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:29 am

Ya. GMail is special.
Even the IMAP rendition doesn't work well with Thunderbird.
Folders (labels) created within GMail fail to show up.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:15 pm

Yes, It's Gmail's way, it's somewhat of an annoyance. Sort of like an automatic CC.

Much that same as how Gmail deals with what to do with messages when accessed via POP.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby MonBidoux » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:32 pm

I tried the IMAP setup with Barca but it's a no go.

GMail is really unique.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Feb 24, 2009 10:36 pm

I use Gmail's IMAP to periodically check Spam and do some maintenance. Seems to work OK, at least within Gmail's definition.

How do actions sync in IMAP? - Gmail Help

Are you doing this in Online Folders?

Oh, you may already know this but you have to enable IMAP before it will work.

I've also enabled Gmail Labs experimental feature Advanced IMAP Controls - Choose which labels show up in IMAP, turn off message auto-expunging, or trash messages when they're deleted from IMAP.

Here is a snap shot of my Gmail POP/IMAP settings.

Yes Gmail is definitely unique.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby MonBidoux » Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:20 am

Chris,

Yes, i too had the advanced settings but i think i'll keep POP settings for now. Too much of a hassle to clean up after.

Thanks!
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby MonBidoux » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:07 am

Do you think there's a way to setup a filter to mark these sent messages as read and delete them at the same time?
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:09 am

MonBidoux wrote:Do you think there's a way to setup a filter to mark these sent messages as read and delete them at the same time?

In Pocomail, you can setup a filter that will delete messages where your email address is in the From field.

In Gmail, you can setup a filter that will filter message with your email address in the From field, and mark the as Read and/or Skip The Inbox (Archive), or Delete It.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby MonBidoux » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:26 pm

You're on!

Thanks Tomas, that was a quick answer!
If you ever need a good word for a job at PSI, let us know.
MonBidoux
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sun Mar 01, 2009 8:24 pm

You are welcome. Thanks! :)
One of the very few times I could beat Eric to it. Not sure how he is doing it but he is almost always faster :)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Barca Help and How-To