[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Update!

Update!

Discussion not related specifically to one of the topics below

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby sgtaylor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:03 am

Hi, Andreas;

I *think* I tried The Bat! in the past half year, but the interface was confusing to *me*. For me, Barca works the way I think, and I've paid for it, too. I have just gotten it to work in Vista, but I had to install "mozex 1.9.9" for Firefox to work with mailto: links.

I also installed it in XP SP2 compatibility mode with UAC turned off, then turned UAC back on when Barca configured properly. Editing the registry didn't help with IE, but, then, I don't use IE very much. Only for testing webpages.

Steve Taylor
sgtaylor5
New Arrival

Update!

Postby Schogol » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:25 pm

I don't know why I think this. I'm not a mind-reader, nor even the resident Cassandra, but I suspect that there will actually be no development for public consumption of Poco/Barca in spite of all protestations to the contrary.

In this the Age of Obama such cynicism on my part is tantamount to heresy, but here I am: Doubting Thomas.
Still, I am prepared to eat my hat. And, to show that I could be wrong, I will wait a few more months before I jump ship and look for an email client which still appears alive.

Shoot me if I'm wrong; I'll provide the gun. But humble guy that I am I won't say I told you so if I'm right.

Peter Schogol
Lexington, KY
Schogol
New Arrival

Re: Update!

Postby Gleason Pace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:39 pm

Schogol wrote:I don't know why I think this. I'm not a mind-reader, nor even the resident Cassandra, but I suspect that there will actually be no development for public consumption of Poco/Barca in spite of all protestations to the contrary.

I see there is still traffic in the beta forum. But the truth is, I have been around here for a long time, and I tend to agree with you. I would say that failing the release of new scripts and themes, there is no real interest in further developing Poco behind the scenes. Just as a general indicator. That would be true, I think, even if Slaven does get a new release out sometime in the next future.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Update!

Postby Schogol » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:23 pm

Gleason, as I said I'll hang on a bit longer, but I'm keeping my eyes out for a client that is still breathing.

Since I paid for it -- twice -- I don't feel bad about abandoning it. If anyone has tried something else and likes it, please let me know.
Schogol
New Arrival

New PIM Client

Postby roadrunner » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Hello,

Has anyone from this forum tried the PIM from Chaos Software, and, if so, what is your opinion?

www.chaossoftware.com

Thank you.

roadrunner
roadrunner
Poco Tourist

Postby Gleason Pace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:29 pm

Schogol wrote:Gleason, as I said I'll hang on a bit longer, but I'm keeping my eyes out for a client that is still breathing.

Since I paid for it -- twice -- I don't feel bad about abandoning it. If anyone has tried something else and likes it, please let me know.

Becky

http://www.rimarts.co.jp/

Your choice will depend a lot on whether you use Imap.

The Bat and Pegasus move in and out of contention for me as new versions come along.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Re: New PIM Client

Postby Gleason Pace » Tue Feb 24, 2009 4:34 pm

roadrunner wrote:Hello,

Has anyone from this forum tried the PIM from Chaos Software, and, if so, what is your opinion?

www.chaossoftware.com

Thank you.

roadrunner

If you are wondering about the one with integrated email (Intellect), I found email support and integration dissappointing. Lightening + Thunderbird is a better choice if that is what you need.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby Andreas » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:14 pm

Gleason Pace wrote:I see there is still traffic in the beta forum.

That doesn't mean much. Yes, there is a beta version, but it only contains some very small changes. And there are months between beta versions.
Andreas
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Wed Feb 25, 2009 6:41 am

There is an ongoing further development.
Publishing of scripts and themes will restart soon.
Last edited by Tomas on Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby 660207 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 6:09 am

Seems to be a dead program with an exorbitant price :evil:
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:13 am

660207 wrote:Seems to be a dead program with an exorbitant price :evil:
Come on, that's really not fair. :?
Poco/Barca are not overpriced and further more development is still going on.
We'll have to wait for a new beta build until Slaven irons out the bugs already reported.

Same as Tomas already posted, so please refrain from discrediting PSI and their software.

TIA :wink:
Eric

Postby Gleason Pace » Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:56 pm

Eric wrote:
660207 wrote:Seems to be a dead program with an exorbitant price :evil:
Come on, that's really not fair. :?
Poco/Barca are not overpriced

That is true, a well done email client is worth the price of Poco and more. Which is what I hoped Poco would one day become when I paid twice for it in 2004 & 2005. In 2009, that hope seems remote.

Eric wrote:and further more development is still going on.
We'll have to wait for a new beta build until Slaven irons out the bugs already reported.

Same as Tomas already posted, so please refrain from discrediting PSI and their software.

TIA :wink:

PSI discredits itself, we merely disparage. But you are right, nothing is more damning than articulate invective in one's own native language, which for many of us isn't English.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby DaveP » Fri Feb 27, 2009 3:46 pm

I last paid $35.96 CDN for the 4.0 upgrade in 2005. Three and a half years usage for $40 is pretty good value in my books.

The main reason I purchased Pocomail (in 2002) was security protection. MS Outlook targeted viruses were running rampant back then. Pocomail eliminated the problem.

Pocomail is dependable. It does the job for me. I don't use IMAP, and I cannot be bothered with HTML. I strip all received messages of HTML. I am only interested in the content.

An update/upgrade would be interesting, but how would it benefit me?

Dave P
DaveP
Poco Tourist

Postby Gleason Pace » Fri Feb 27, 2009 4:07 pm

DaveP wrote:I last paid $35.96 CDN for the 4.0 upgrade in 2005. Three and a half years usage for $40 is pretty good value in my books.

The main reason I purchased Pocomail (in 2002) was security protection. MS Outlook targeted viruses were running rampant back then. Pocomail eliminated the problem.

Pocomail is dependable. It does the job for me. I don't use IMAP, and I cannot be bothered with HTML. I strip all received messages of HTML. I am only interested in the content.

An update/upgrade would be interesting, but how would it benefit me?

Dave P

If it ain't broke, don't fix it applies. For many of us though, it is broke.
Gleason Pace
Frequent Visitor

Postby DaveP » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:16 pm

Gleason Pace wrote:
For many of us though, it is broke.

Okay, I am not trying to be smart, but what is broke?

I went back through this thread, and yes, there are comments about inadaquate IMAP support, but outside of that, there don't seem to be any real issues. I am strictly talking Pocomail here. I do not follow the Barca forum.

Dave P
DaveP
Poco Tourist

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion