[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Size limit of .mbx?

Size limit of .mbx?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Size limit of .mbx?

Postby aderoy » Fri Apr 10, 2009 5:14 am

Do anyone know if there is a 2 gb filesize limit for the mbx file? WinXP SP3 latest version Poco (4.8).

Reason for asking - I leave attachments encoded in the mbx and now getting close to the 1.5 - 1.8 GB mark. Do not want to bang up against the limit and have a crash.

Yes the easy way is to make a second file and archive etc, except one of the mbx is the sent items and trying to keep it neat.

Since Poco is using a modified mbx structure not sure if the limit is still there or not.

Thank you.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Re: Size limit of .mbx?

Postby blakelyg » Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:37 am

aderoy wrote:Do anyone know if there is a 2 gb filesize limit for the mbx file? WinXP SP3 latest version Poco (4.8).

Reason for asking - I leave attachments encoded in the mbx and now getting close to the 1.5 - 1.8 GB mark. Do not want to bang up against the limit and have a crash.

Yes the easy way is to make a second file and archive etc, except one of the mbx is the sent items and trying to keep it neat.

Since Poco is using a modified mbx structure not sure if the limit is still there or not.

Thank you.

I saw this asked once before and when I did a search I came up with this on the Mozilla Knowledge base.

http://kb.mozillazine.org/Limits_-_Thunderbird

Appears to be a 4GB - based on OS file size limitations limit - (look under Folders and Messages) at least that seems to be what it says. As u said Poco may be using a modified mbox structure, so am not sure if the limits are the same.

G
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:29 pm

It depends on the file system used, size is 4 GB minus 1 byte with FAT and 2 powered by 64 bytes (16 EiB) minus 1 KiB (or in other words, much larger file size allowance when compared against FAT) with NTFS file system.

What might present some limitation is the memory size. If it's getting slow to load, it's time to think of splitting that particular folder into two.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby aderoy » Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:23 am

Thank you for the replies.

Running WinXP NTFS 80GB drive with 512byte clusters, reformatted down from 8192byte clusters.

Means I should be safe, will of course continue on the daily backups to tape.
aderoy
Frequent Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To