[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Update calamity! URGENT HELP NEEDED

Update calamity! URGENT HELP NEEDED

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Update calamity! URGENT HELP NEEDED

Postby jayno » Tue Apr 28, 2009 10:12 am

Help

I just opened Barca 2.5 and got a prompt to update to 2.8. I did so and clicked the box to keep my existing folders. The download and setup extracted files and instated the new version.

To my horror, when the 2.8 version opened my last two years of very valuable emails had disappeared!

I still have a desktop icon that opens my 2.5 version WITH all my emails still there, but when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove software the list of software installed only shows Barca 2.8.

I am now worried about closing down my PC in case it deletes Barca 2.5. What should I do to avoid losing it? And can I get the 2.5 software back without corrupting the old version that still opens from my original icon?
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:32 pm

jayno wrote:I just opened Barca 2.5 and got a prompt to update to 2.8. I did so and clicked the box to keep my existing folders. The download and setup extracted files and instated the new version.
Sorry to hear something went wrong there. Are you sure you selected to upgrade and keep your current settings :?:
To my horror, when the 2.8 version opened my last two years of very valuable emails had disappeared!
Never happened here and I installed the beta's and the current one on top. :?
I still have a desktop icon that opens my 2.5 version WITH all my emails still there, but when I go to Control Panel, Add/Remove software the list of software installed only shows Barca 2.8.
Sure, Add/Remove will only show the last version installed.
I am now worried about closing down my PC in case it deletes Barca 2.5. What should I do to avoid losing it? And can I get the 2.5 software back without corrupting the old version that still opens from my original icon?
It won't delete Barca 2.5, but just in case, make a backup of your 2.5 installation.
If 2.5 is still installed, you can continue using that.
Just delete the folder where you installed 2.8.

Seems to me 2.8 got installed into a new folder and not on top of the current one.
To verify open 2.8 and check your Directories. Change them if different and after pressing OK, exit Barca and restart.

:idea: Else reinstall 2.8 into another directory and afterwards do an import from previous installation, so all settings the way they were in 2.5 will stay in place.

Let me know how it goes. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Tue Apr 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Thanks for the fast reply Eric

I will try these procedures when I get home from work tonight and let you know what happens

John
Jayno
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi John,

with the "desktop icon that opens my 2.5 version", please check through menu Help > About, that it's in fact 2.5 and not 2.8.

I'd suggest to keep running the Barca opened through old desktop icon, and not the "new one". Send suport request through menu Help > Email support, from both of them.

I never had to deal with such a problem, so these are just my best guesses:

1) the old icon on the desktop, doesn't run Barca on the default data base, but enforces some other data path. Check that icon by right clicking and selecting properties, what does the command line show?

2) maybe, not probable, but just thinking out loud, maybe you run Barca on backed up folders, and the update reverted back to default folders. Or some similar rare usage scenario.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby jayno » Wed Apr 29, 2009 9:22 am

Hi Tomas

Thanks for your interest. I haven't followed any of Eric's suggestions yet. I thought I would check your points first:

The old desktop icon that opens my 2.5 version is definitely 2.5. It is version 2.5.0.3910. Its target location is: C:\Program Files\Barca 2.5\Barca 2\Barca.exe and it starts in C:\Program Files\Barca 2.5\Barca 2.

When I check on my C drive for the Barca 2 folder details, by right clicking and going to Properties it says that Barca2 was created 3 Oct 2006, is 475mb and has 1529 files & 40 folders, but was modified 29 April 2009.

Next to Barca 2 on my C drive is a Barca 2.5 folder. When I right click and go to Properties it says it was created 11 Nov 2007, is 12.2mb and has 72 files & 3 folders.

The new desktop icon opens the 2.8 version but only shows emails in my Inbox up to 11 Nov 2007. Its target location is: C:\Program Files\Barca2\Barca.exe and it starts in C:\Program Files\Barca2. Right clicking the icon and going to Properties - General tells me its size is just 647 bytes and it was created 29 April 2009 at 00.55 hours. This was the time I ran the upgrade to version 2.8

I wonder if all this tells you anything more helpful about what has happened? If so:

1) would you recommend I follow any particular one of the procedures Eric has suggested?
2) Also, if I want to Backup the Barca 2.5 folder should I actually Backup the folder called Barca 2 on my C drive because that seems to be the original one where all the files and folders are held?
3) What should I do with the Barca 2.5 folder on my C drive that only has 12.2 mb size? Should I back this up too?
4) What is the best way to backup? Do I just copy and paste to my second disk drive, which on my PC is labelled F Drive?

One thing that puzzles me is Eric's reference to "deleting the folder where I installed 2.8". There is no sign of such a folder on my C Drive. Only the Barca 2 and Barca 2.5 folders that I mentioned above.

John

ps: I still have the three Barca Setup files I downloaded on 6 Oct 2006, 11 Nov 2007, and 29 April 2009
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To