[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - [4.8] Encoding options still not working

[4.8] Encoding options still not working

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

[4.8] Encoding options still not working

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 19, 2009 6:55 am

Hi,
today noticed the existence of 4.8, got it, installed over 4.5, all fine.
Test: set Options/encoding to UTF-8, make new message, type äöü as subject and as body, send.
receiving it on another account, i get a subject äöü, but garbage as body. looking into the header it reads "encoding iso-8859-1" instead of the UTF-8 my options entry has.
<Duh>
After waiting almost 2 years for an update, i'm really dissapointed.

FTR, German XP Pro Sp3, latest patches, PM set to "only text", restricted user account, PM app in C:\programme, messages on seperate partition, both NTFS

Anyone a useful idea?

Thx
Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 19, 2009 7:32 am

For the moment, i returned to the 8859-1 setting, which "seems" to work for handling our german "umlaute" - we'll see, what happens for incoming mail from other folks
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby FFF » Sun Apr 26, 2009 6:01 am

Am i really alone?
Today i replied to an AOL-Mail, coded UTF-8, which displayed correctly with "Umlaute" etc. But the answer went out as 8859-1, and, while in the compose window, displayed correctly, too. But when i look at the same answer now in my "Sent" folder, it shows havoc instead of the "Umlaute".

Help, please

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Encodings

Postby esther » Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:23 pm

I noticed 2 problems:
I chose utf-8 as default encoding
1. with french accents, when forwarding a message, the accented letters come out as interrogation marks. I notice that when sending the message as attachment, it displays correctly, buth the subject that contained an accented letter arrives with an interrogation mark (Fwd: FW: ?tre et Avoir)
2. RTL text:
* when typed directly: It doesn't display normally when typing (the word order in the sentence is LTR, the letters in the word display correctly as RTL) but arrives correctly, even when sent as attachment.
* when forwarded : display correctly if forwarded as attachment, with word order TLR if forwarded directly
esther
New Arrival

Postby jbuk » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:09 am

Have a look at this as an example of PM's interpretation of a French email received a couple of days ago.......

Cher(es) Adhérent (es)
Vous avez peut être reçu une lettre de rappel de la SEERC vous
indiquant que « les délais de paiement ayant été dépassés, la
Trésorerie de Mônetier leur a transféré ces dossiers pour gestion
d'impayé » . (ce qui est faux puisque nous avons déposé tous les
paiements le jeudi 9 avril à 11h exactement).

I always LMOS and when I view this message on line then it displays correctly and is totally legible.
Some of those words might make uncrackable passwords if I had a keyboard capable of typing them in !
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Wed Apr 29, 2009 8:52 pm

I'm not sure if I've not understood something here, so at the risk of appearing a dummy :oops:

My encoding is iso-8859-1. PM version 4.8. I send and receive messages in English, French, German and Italian and have never had problems with signs specific to these languages. However, I downloaded and installed the relevant dictionaries from the PM website for automatic spellchecking. Does this influence reception of texts, as well as composition?
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Dictionaries?

Postby FFF » Fri May 01, 2009 7:26 am

tonnelier wrote:I'm not sure if I've not understood something here, so at the risk of appearing a dummy :oops:

My encoding is iso-8859-1. PM version 4.8. I send and receive messages in English, French, German and Italian and have never had problems with signs specific to these languages. However, I downloaded and installed the relevant dictionaries from the PM website for automatic spellchecking. Does this influence reception of texts, as well as composition?

Well, perhaps we are two ;-?
You say, if s/o sends you an e.g. german mail in utf-8 it comes clean?
I just had a look at Poco's site and can't see any dictionaries to get, so i digged into the help and found the link to "addictive...", got me the files, and finally noticed they are already in my data folder <g>. But i hadn't activated them, did that now, and would be glad to see now no more problems...

Thx & good night
Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Re: Dictionaries?

Postby tonnelier » Fri May 01, 2009 8:33 pm

FFF wrote:
tonnelier wrote:I'm not sure if I've not understood something here, so at the risk of appearing a dummy :oops:

Well, perhaps we are two ;-?
You say, if s/o sends you an e.g. german mail in utf-8 it comes clean?
I just had a look at Poco's site and can't see any dictionaries to get, so i digged into the help and found the link to "addictive...", got me the files, and finally noticed they are already in my data folder <g>. But i hadn't activated them, did that now, and would be glad to see now no more problems...

Thx & good night
Karl

No, I have never used utf-8 encoding, only iso-8859-1 which appeared as default when installing PM. I can confirm that both incoming and outcoming mails appear correctly with symbols specific to French/German/Italian. Hope it's working for you now :lol:

P.S. Agree that the dictionaries are well hidden on the PM site :( Click on Support in left hand menu>FAQs>Scroll down to "where can I download additional dictionaries?
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby MAL » Sun May 03, 2009 2:21 pm

Wow, learned something new: never knew I could so easily install a German Dictionary.

Thanks for the discussion and links! :D
MAL
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Dictionaries?

Postby FFF » Mon May 04, 2009 7:38 am

tonnelier wrote:No, I have never used utf-8 encoding, only iso-8859-1 which appeared as default when installing PM. I can confirm that both incoming and outcoming mails appear correctly with symbols specific to French/German/Italian. Hope it's working for you now :lol:

Well, back to square 1: German dict. installed and active, today i got a UTF-8 Mail, correctly displayed. Answered (PM set to 8859-1), and i looked ok. If i now use the "follow up" message display, all umlaute are trash!
Now customer answered again, this new message says 8859-1, shows again umlaute correctly, but also in the quoted parts the trash...
Finally, i answered him, and, using again "follow up" this message displays correct umlaute.
So i think the problem occurs when a utf-8 mail gets answered using 8859-1.

I wonder, if and when this will be cured <sigh>

Karl
FFF
Frequent Visitor

Postby jbuk » Mon May 04, 2009 7:26 pm

I think you will find that the dictionary has no influence at all on received emails. It is only used when composing a new email as a spell checker, hence it will, if you are lucky, put in the required accents, umlauts usw.

The problem lies in PMs inability to render some forms of text encoding in received emails.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Mon May 04, 2009 7:56 pm

jbuk wrote:I think you will find that the dictionary has no influence at all on received emails. It is only used when composing a new email as a spell checker, hence it will, if you are lucky, put in the required accents, umlauts usw.

The problem lies in PMs inability to render some forms of text encoding in received emails.

You've got me worried jbuk (and Karl too probably). I'm not an IT whizz-kid, but there must be some explanation as to why I have no problem with language symbols incoming and outgoing, yet Karl does?

:?
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby jbuk » Tue May 05, 2009 7:26 am

Yes a mystery - of sorts.
I would be interested to know if you can receive the email text I posted earlier in a 100% percent legible fashion.
If you can P M me an email address I could send the email on to you to see if you really can receive good text and not gobblegook.

If so, then we can broaden out the investigation to see what your settings are like compared with ours as I have always had trouble eceiving French accented emails.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby tonnelier » Tue May 05, 2009 7:15 pm

jbuk wrote:Yes a mystery - of sorts.
I would be interested to know if you can receive the email text I posted earlier in a 100% percent legible fashion.
If you can P M me an email address I could send the email on to you to see if you really can receive good text and not gobblegook.

If so, then we can broaden out the investigation to see what your settings are like compared with ours as I have always had trouble eceiving French accented emails.

OK. Will post result on this forum.
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Postby tonnelier » Tue May 05, 2009 8:15 pm

jbuk's French text received completely legibly by my PocoMail.

Now up to the programmers and gurus to get their head round this one :lol:
tonnelier
Frequent Visitor

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To