[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - socket error [Mod: Resolved - Router problem]

socket error [Mod: Resolved - Router problem]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

socket error [Mod: Resolved - Router problem]

Postby andyash » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:38 pm

I've started getting socket errors #0 and #10053 on my Barca install while sending emails since yesterday. It works haphazardly sending very few emails but blocking most. However my previous install of Poco works fine and I can send the same content through it. . Also, I can send the same email content and attachments through Thunderbird. since yesterday.
I have uninstalled and reinstalled Barca but the problem continues. I have also tried the same while disabling my antivirus and firewall but I still get these errors. What do I need to do to make Barca work properly?
andyash
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:38 am

What antivirus are you using :?:
-> See Sending problems

Disabling your antivirus won't work since drivers are already loaded at windows startup.
Further more could you tell me which provider you're using.
Are you on XP or Vista or W7?
Which version are you using?
Running any other security application on your system?

:idea: Else your barca.ini got corrupt although that's a long shot.
Reset your barca.ini to see if that changes anything.

1. Close Barca first.
2. Rename barca.ini to barca_old.ini
3. Restart Barca now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

That's all I can think off right now.

Let me know what it gives. ;)
Eric

socket error

Postby andyash » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:01 pm

Today even Pocomail and Thunderbird are showing error #10053.
I have uninstalled my Antivirus but no use.
Resetting barca.ini has not made a difference.
Now Barca shows error #10054
I have Vista Home Premium both on my desktop and laptop.
There are no other security applications running beside Windows Defender and Windows Firewall on both the machines.
My ISP is Airtel a DSL and telephone service provider in India.
Most importantly, my laptop is still not facing a problem sending emails. I have a secondary install of Barca on it.

The internet connection on both is the same shared through a router with the laptop accessing the connection through wi-fi.

My guess is something inside my desktop is blocking the port. But what?
andyash
Drop-in Visitor

Re: socket error

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 5:41 pm

andyash wrote:Today even Pocomail and Thunderbird are showing error #10053.
I have uninstalled my Antivirus but no use.
No need to uninstall your antivirus. Booting into safe mode would do the trick. Since you're behind a router, you're still protected by that hardware firewall. :)
Resetting barca.ini has not made a difference.
It was worth a try, so you'll know that's not the one causing the problems.
Now Barca shows error #10054
See also Tomas post at Socket Error 10054.
Perform a search on 10054 to find other related topics.
I have Vista Home Premium both on my desktop and laptop.
There are no other security applications running beside Windows Defender and Windows Firewall on both the machines.

Same here, also Vista, although I'm not running Windows Defender nor Windows firewall. :lol:
Maybe it's you're firewall who's blocking the connection.
Could you de-activate it, as well as Windows Defender?
For that last one you'll have to stop it through the Security Center and also in Services, otherwise it won't work. :?
The internet connection on both is the same shared through a router with the laptop accessing the connection through wi-fi.
My guess is something inside my desktop is blocking the port. But what?
My best guess would be your Windows firewall who's blocking the connection.

Hope you'll be able to make it work now. ;)
Eric

router is the cause

Postby andyash » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:49 pm

Hi, thanks for all the support but I tried connecting my desktop directly with my modem, removing the router. This works. I don't know why because I haven't changed any setting in the router for the last couple of years since I have had the router and it's never given me this issue before.
Barca has no issue sending emails when connected directly to the modem. But as soon as I reconnect the router the problem starts back again.
Can you help me out with this?
andyash
Drop-in Visitor

Re: router is the cause

Postby Eric » Wed Jun 10, 2009 9:17 pm

andyash wrote:Hi, thanks for all the support but I tried connecting my desktop directly with my modem, removing the router. This works.
You're welcome andyash. ;)
Weird why it doesn't work with your router.
Is your Windows firewall blocking access to your router for those email programs?
I don't know why because I haven't changed any setting in the router for the last couple of years since I have had the router and it's never given me this issue before.
Barca has no issue sending emails when connected directly to the modem. But as soon as I reconnect the router the problem starts back again.
Can you help me out with this?
:idea: Some other suggestions:
- Looking for new firmware for this router
- Resetting your router to fabric settings, so you'll have to setup your protection again.
Or perhaps your router is malfunctioning (defect), so it needs to be replaced.

It can be anything, so it needs to be investigated further by you.

Good luck & keep me informed. ;)
Eric

Postby andyash » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:20 am

I reconnected to the router after doing my day's work and now suddenly it works. Barca has just sent a few emails that were giving me socket errors earlier. I had got rid of my AVG antivirus and just rebooted after installing Avast.

Thanks for all the help. The next I have a problem I'll reset the router first thing.

Andy
andyash
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:23 am

andyash wrote:I reconnected to the router after doing my day's work and now suddenly it works.
Glad to hear it's working now. :D
Barca has just sent a few emails that were giving me socket errors earlier. I had got rid of my AVG antivirus and just rebooted after installing Avast.
Avast is a good choice. In case you need a free firewall for checking outbound connection, have a look at PC Tools or Webroot.
Just make sure Windows firewall is inactive if you want to use another firewall.
Never two firewalls or two antivirus.
Thanks for all the help. The next I have a problem I'll reset the router first thing.
My pleasure Andy. ;)
There's always a first to know where to look at.
By having problems you're learning at the same time and so do others.

Take care. ;)
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To