[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time

Use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time

Help and advice on using PocoMail PE

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time

Postby nilshv » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:48 am

Is there possible, and if, how? to use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time?

I have two computers that is on mostly of the day. I have some shared folders on one of the computer. Can i copy my pocomail on a shared folder and run pocomail on both computers? And when i get mail, it shows on both computers?
And if i send a email on one computer, it will show in the sendt folder on the other
nilshv
New Arrival

Re: Use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same ti

Postby Eric » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:36 am

Hi nilshv & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
nilshv wrote:Is there possible, and if, how? to use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time?
I guess it's possible, although if those two will be checking your mail at the same time, it could lead to problems. :?
I have two computers that is on mostly of the day. I have some shared folders on one of the computer. Can i copy my pocomail on a shared folder and run pocomail on both computers? And when i get mail, it shows on both computers?
Don't have a clue how to do that, but if it's a shared folder it could work.
Try it out, but take your precautions.
Also make sure only one checks your mail, the other should be off-line.
And if i send a email on one computer, it will show in the sendt folder on the other
If shared, you should see it on your other one too.

Really not sure about all this, so let's wait until someone confirms it or not.

BTW Are you talking about PocoMail PE which runs on a USB stick or Poco installed on two computers? Just to make sure, since it's completely different.

Sorry. :wink:
Eric

Postby nilshv » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:29 am

Eric wrote:Hi nilshv & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
nilshv wrote:Is there possible, and if, how? to use the same pocomail PE on two computers at the same time?
I guess it's possible, although if those two will be checking your mail at the same time, it could lead to problems. :?
Don't have a clue how to do that, but if it's a shared folder it could work.
Try it out, but take your precautions.
Also make sure only one checks your mail, the other should be off-line.
If shared, you should see it on your other one too.

Really not sure about all this, so let's wait until someone confirms it or not.

BTW Are you talking about PocoMail PE which runs on a USB stick or Poco installed on two computers? Just to make sure, since it's completely different.

Sorry. :wink:

Thank you for answer.
I have tested it a little bit and it dont work as far as i see it. BTW it is PocoMail PE "installed" on one computer
nilshv
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:39 am

nilshv wrote:I have two computers that is on mostly of the day. I have some shared folders on one of the computer. Can i copy my pocomail on a shared folder and run pocomail on both computers? And when i get mail, it shows on both computers?

I wouldn't recommend, as it's probably not completely bulletproof (the application is not intended and has no support for the kind of usage where two or more users are accessing same data), but it shall be possible.
As Eric said, only the primary installation shall be checking for and downloading new email.
The other installation shall be used to view folders only.
It shall be possible to send emails from both computers.

I'd recommend frequent backups, at least daily, because that kind of usage could lead to data corruption (due to no support for that as explained above).

Btw. as for the install on the second computer, you could make a regular installation there, then create a shortcut that will use the command line options as following, taken from the help file:

poco.exe /startin "c:/directory"

poco.exe /startin "//server/shared/data"

Launch Pocomail on any specific directory, local or network.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail PE Help and How-To