[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Empty Barca Folders! [Resolved: Virtumonde infection]

Empty Barca Folders! [Resolved: Virtumonde infection]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:39 am

jayno wrote:Eric, thanks again.
My pleasure to help you sort it out. ;)
I follow your instructions but I'm a bit unsure about this. Before I attempt to do anything can you first have a look at what is inside the two Barca folders on my C Drive:-
We'll better make before doing anything stupid. :lol:
Inside C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2.5 :
This one is odd because first inside is a folder called BARCA2, and when I open this I get 2 sub-folders and 8 files, but no sign of an address.ini anywhere:
It doesn't contain a lot, so you may relocate that one to your Trash.
Inside C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2 :

This is a stand-alone BARCA2, which has 15 sub-folders (one of which has the old Address.ini file in it), and 30 files:
That's the one we need, although some strange things going on. :shock:
Further explanation follows.
Address [ 2 files in this folder = Address and Address.~ini from Nov 2006]
It contains your adress.ini file as well as your backup. For the rest that's normal.
FILES
accounts
Shouldn't that be accounts.ini instead of just that name with no extension. Add ini as an extension and see what it gives.
Address.mbx
Is that a mailbox? If not, rename it to address.ini. Same as above.
Open it with a text editor, so you'll know what it contains. Or better open it with Excel or Open Office Calc.
American.adm
Ok, that's your dictionary, nothing wrong there.
Attach.mbx
Same as address.mbx. Never saw that one.
barca
barca
Why two files? One should be your exe and the other one your ini file. How can they co-exist with the same name or are those different?
Cache.mbx
Calendar.mbx
Both should be a folder instead mbx.
Copy of Barca
Don't know what that means. :?
Diary.mbx
Emoticons.mbx
Should be folders too.
events
filters
history
Should be ini files.
Icons.mbx
Mail.mbx
Notes.mbx
Should be folders.
POImport
POImport.dll
PoImport.exe and it's DLL file.
position
Should be an ini file
Scripts.mbx
Signatures.mbx
Should be folders.
Skins.mbx
Should be a folder containing your skins.
spell
Should be ini.
Templates.mbx
Should be a folder.
Users.mbx
Should be a folder.

As I see it that trojan removed all extension ini as well as exe's.
Folders were renamed to mbx-files.
A pretty nasty infection you got there IMHO. :evil:

:!: Maybe you can recover something by renaming those files or adding the right extension. However I can't promise that it will work, but it worth a try to recover as much as possible.

Here's my setup, so I hope this helps.

Code: Select all
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\accounts.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Address
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\American.adm
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Attach
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\barca.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\BarcaPro.exe
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Cache
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Calendar
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Diary
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\dutch.adm
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Emoticons
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Eric.adu
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Eric_sp.adl
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\events.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\filters.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Help
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\history.enc (= encoded history)
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Icons
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Mail
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Notes
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\POImport.dll
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\POImport.exe
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\position.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Scripts
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\shortcuts.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Signatures
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Skins
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Spell.cfg
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\spell.ini
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Templates
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\unins000.dat
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\unins000.exe
C:\Program Files\BarcaPro2\Users
FWIW my folders are located on my D: drive and not as you see on my C: drive.

:idea: If I were you, I would install the latest version into a new directory.
Don't import anything yet, since you could overwrite those files with what you recovered from that corrupt folder of Barca 2.

So a lot of work for you to clean the damage this trojan did.
If you need more assistance, just let me know.

Good luck & of course keep me informed on the progress or problems you may encounter. ;)
Last edited by Eric on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Postby jayno » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:01 pm

Wow! I'm glad I shared all this with you Eric! I am not really surprised to learn that my Barca files are in a mess, but I hadn't realised the Trojan had done so much damage.

Anyway, I'll start by seeing if I can download Barca 2.8 to my F drive in a new folder. If that goes OK I'll come back to you. I'm only getting a short period to work on this each night as I work long hours a good distance away from home, and then I have family commitments too.

Be back soon though.

John
:roll:
Jayno
Firefox 12.0 | Barca 2.8 | MITG 2.1
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Mon Jul 06, 2009 6:06 pm

jayno wrote:Wow! I'm glad I shared all this with you Eric! I am not really surprised to learn that my Barca files are in a mess, but I hadn't realised the Trojan had done so much damage.
Indeed John, that trojans did really a lot of dammage to your ini's and exe's. :cry:
Anyway, I'll start by seeing if I can download Barca 2.8 to my F drive in a new folder.
I guess that shouldn't give any problems unless there's something left on your computer. :roll:
If that goes OK I'll come back to you. I'm only getting a short period to work on this each night as I work long hours a good distance away from home, and then I have family commitments too.
No problem, I got my work and family too, so take your time. We'll clear up this mess and give you some advice to prevent this from ever happening again.
That's for later on. :)

Till soon. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:39 am

Hi Eric

I had a little play with my Barca folders and files tonight and I think we need a different strategy:

I followed your suggestion and sent C Drive /Programs / BARCA 2.5 to the Recycle bin. Unfortunately this caused me to actually lose Barca! Fortunately I was able to immediately restore it from the Recycle Bin, but it does show that for some reason both folders - BARCA 2.5 & BARCA 2 are needed.

There are a number of FILES in C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2 that you say should be Folders - eg cache.mbx, diary.mbx, emoticoms mx (even mail.mbx) etc. In fact, all the ones you point out are shown as '0 kb' in size. I assume this means they are empty, but windows can't open them anyway.

In C Drive / Programs / BARCA I have two FILES both called "barca" and you ask why there are two, saying one should be an .exe file and the other an .ini? One is '8 kb' in size and described as "Configuration Settings 11.07.09" (I am writing this message just after midnight, but I think this date updated itself just before midnight when I deleted and then restored the Barca 2.5 folder), the other is '9,745 kb' in size and described as "Application 05.04.09".

Further down my list there is a FILE called "Copy of Barca" and you say you don't what this means. It is '8 kb' in size and described as "Configuration Settings 11.11.07". I am wondering if this file created itself when I upgraded from Barca 2 to 2.5, which would have been around then I think?

Anyway, whatever is right or wrong about my folders and files, the bottom line is that when I first downloaded the Barca 2.8 upgrade at the end of April 2009 and tried to import all my email to it, it only imported mails dated up to 17 Nov 2007. This is still the mystery because the Mail Folder in C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2 (the only Mail folder) is very large in size and appears to have all the latest folders and mails in it. Clearly, Barca 2.8's import function isn't finding this folder, or if it is, something is preventing it from importing mail after 17 Nov 2007.

Unless this information gives you a clue to what's wrong and how to fix it, all this makes me wonder if a better solution might be for Poco Systems to send me a copy from their Server (where I assume they have backups of everything) of all my Mail folders, with all my mail in them, and then maybe I could use the new Barca 2.8 I downloaded last week (which I haven't tried to import to yet) to import everything from that copy? Does this make sense? Is it possible and will Poco Systems do it?

:?:
Jayno
Sandboxie, ESET Smartsecurity, SUPERantispyware, Malware bytes, Spybot S&D, HijackThis, Adaware, RegScrub XP, CrapCleaner
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 am

Hi John,
jayno wrote:I had a little play with my Barca folders and files tonight and I think we need a different strategy:
I do think so too.
Something got messed up pretty badly. :cry:
I followed your suggestion and sent C Drive /Programs / BARCA 2.5 to the Recycle bin. Unfortunately this caused me to actually lose Barca! Fortunately I was able to immediately restore it from the Recycle Bin, but it does show that for some reason both folders - BARCA 2.5 & BARCA 2 are needed.
Instead of removing those to your recycle bin, could you move those to another location?
By that I mean both installations. Better to start fresh instead from corrupted installations.
There are a number of FILES in C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2 that you say should be Folders - eg cache.mbx, diary.mbx, emoticoms mx (even mail.mbx) etc. In fact, all the ones you point out are shown as '0 kb' in size. I assume this means they are empty, but windows can't open them anyway.
Like I said, something bad happened. Since those files, which should be directories instead, can't be used, it's better to just deleted those.
If you can't delete those files, try FileAssassin.

:!: Let's now forget both installations and just start fresh with version 2.8.
In C Drive / Programs / BARCA I have two FILES both called "barca" and you ask why there are two, saying one should be an .exe file and the other an .ini? One is '8 kb' in size and described as "Configuration Settings 11.07.09" (I am writing this message just after midnight, but I think this date updated itself just before midnight when I deleted and then restored the Barca 2.5 folder), the other is '9,745 kb' in size and described as "Application 05.04.09".
Like I said, one file is your ini file, the other's Barca's executable.
We don't need those anymore as described above. :)
Further down my list there is a FILE called "Copy of Barca" and you say you don't what this means. It is '8 kb' in size and described as "Configuration Settings 11.11.07". I am wondering if this file created itself when I upgraded from Barca 2 to 2.5, which would have been around then I think?
I don't think that file was created when upgrading although I could be wrong here. I've never seen it, so I'm not sure. :?
Anyway, whatever is right or wrong about my folders and files, the bottom line is that when I first downloaded the Barca 2.8 upgrade at the end of April 2009 and tried to import all my email to it, it only imported mails dated up to 17 Nov 2007.
Maybe it did import all your mail, but it just didn't show it.
Could be your index was corrupted, so better close Barca and delete all *.idb files (index files). On restart those will be recreated.
This is still the mystery because the Mail Folder in C Drive / Programs / BARCA 2 (the only Mail folder) is very large in size and appears to have all the latest folders and mails in it. Clearly, Barca 2.8's import function isn't finding this folder, or if it is, something is preventing it from importing mail after 17 Nov 2007.
What you could do, is once Barca 2.8 is installed, is moving that mail folder to the new location. Also delete all *.idb files and be sure Barca's closed.
Unless this information gives you a clue to what's wrong and how to fix it, all this makes me wonder if a better solution might be for Poco Systems to send me a copy from their Server (where I assume they have backups of everything) of all my Mail folders, with all my mail in them, and then maybe I could use the new Barca 2.8 I downloaded last week (which I haven't tried to import to yet) to import everything from that copy? Does this make sense? Is it possible and will Poco Systems do it?
PSI won't be able to send you a copy of all your mail folders. It's not up to them to keep your mail, they just sell the software.
You're out of luck there, sorry.

I know it's a lot of work, but beginning to sort out this corruption will take a lot more of your time.

Also since there are a lot Virtumonde variants I would suggest to post an hijackthis log at one of the dedicated forums.
For more information have a look at Cleaning an hijacked computer.
Best make sure first that your PC is clean from those pests.

Good luck & keep me informed on your progress to clean up this mess. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Fri Jul 17, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi Eric

If this works, there should be a screenshot below of my Barca2 folder. I have done a lot of work to delete empty files, idb files, files that should be folders, and file duplicates. The "barcasystem" file highlighted in the screenshot is critical - when I temporarily deleted it, I had no Barca2.5, which is the version where all my emails are.

By experimenting with all the folders and files I finally found a way to import to Barca2.8 (which I have on my F drive), but I still cannot import mails dating after Nov 2007. It appears to me that I do not seem to have a Barca.ini file that is capturing the emails resident somehow in Barca2.5 since then - and these are the critical ones I want to hold on to and import to the Barca2.8 upgrade. Do you think there is a setting fault or is the correct/current Barca.ini file missing. If the latter, could pocosystems send me the file to add to the folder - or am I talking nonsense?

~ removed img link ... Eric ~
Last edited by jayno on Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:34 am

Hi John,
jayno wrote:If this works, there should be a screenshot below of my Barca2 folder.
Unfortunately that screenshot is much too little, so not readable. :?

Could you repost it, but don't reduce it too much.
I'll respond ASAP to your screenshot and post.
If the latter, could pocosystems send me the file to add to the folder - or am I talking nonsense?
Talking nonsense here. :lol:
Barca.ini is created when installing Barca.
I could send you mine, but it does have my settings, so you'll still have to set it right to your installation.

Have a fine weekend. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:33 pm

The image looked huge on my screen Eric, but I'm not too well practised with screenshots! See if this version is any bigger:

Image[/img]
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 21, 2009 8:57 pm

Hi John,
jayno wrote:If this works, there should be a screenshot below of my Barca2 folder.
Indeed it works and I can read it all. :)
I have done a lot of work to delete empty files, idb files, files that should be folders, and file duplicates. The "barcasystem" file highlighted in the screenshot is critical - when I temporarily deleted it, I had no Barca2.5, which is the version where all my emails are.
Quite a lot of work to clean up that mess.
As for that barcasystem.ini, I don't have it here. :?
However when you delete it with Barca closed, it will be recreated on restart.
Not sure why it didn't work at your end.
By experimenting with all the folders and files I finally found a way to import to Barca2.8 (which I have on my F drive), but I still cannot import mails dating after Nov 2007. It appears to me that I do not seem to have a Barca.ini file that is capturing the emails resident somehow in Barca2.5 since then - and these are the critical ones I want to hold on to and import to the Barca2.8 upgrade. Do you think there is a setting fault or is the correct/current Barca.ini file missing. Do you think there is a setting fault or is the correct/current Barca.ini file missing.
Almost no setting needed, only the location inside your Barca Options.
As for your critital emails you could put them inside one folder from your Barca 2.5 installation. When done, close 2.5 and move that folder (*.mbx) to your Mail folder from 2.8.
Restart 2.8 and those email will probably be available.

:idea: One suggestion is to keep your mail and other critical data apart from your C: partition.
Keep this on your drive, for example D:/Data/Barca.
Also make regular backups or images from your data, as well as from your C:
If something happens to your C:, you only have to restore C: and not everything.
The image looked huge on my screen Eric, but I'm not too well practised with screenshots! See if this version is any bigger:
Yep, it does look huge. Well done, because now I can read it all.
Seems OK to me. The way it should be, but keep in mind my above suggestion.

As for taking screenshots, an app like SnagIt, FastStone Capture and others, make it a lot easier. 8)
Eric

Postby jayno » Wed Jul 22, 2009 11:29 am

Hi again Eric and thanks for your latest suggestions.

Before I catch up with you on these, let me tell you what has happened while you have been 'away' from this thread! Although I can't make sense of what I am about to say, I have found the problem.

First I opened the Mail Folder in Barca 2.5 on my C drive. Then I opened the Mail Folder in the backup of this version that I had created on my F drive. I don't understand why, but they are different!! The C drive Mail Folder had very few items in it. The backup Mail Folder had all my email folders in it and when I checked inside several of them, they seemed right up to date with the emails within them. (see next message for screenshots)

So, I decided to try a variation of something you suggested a few messages ago. I selected and copied the backup Mail Folder then pasted it in to the Barca 2.8 Program Folder I had installed on my F drive, over-writing the specific Mail Folder in that set. [Bear in mind that the Barca 2.8 Mail Folder was created by Exporting from Barca 2.5 in the first place, but this had only inputted emails up to November 2007 - this being the original problem that I came to you with].

Then I closed down Barca 2.5 and ran Barca 2.8. It opened up with all my mail folders and all my emails right up to the present. I then created my normal email account in Barca 2.8 (not by transferring settings from Barca 2.5 but by manually typing in the settings), and I tried sending and receiving emails from/to this address and it worked ... SUCCESS!!!

Not everything is right yet with Barca 2.8 because when I then manually created the two other email accounts I normally use - one for my wife and the other linked to a website of mine - I found that I could neither send nor receive emails to either of these accounts. When I tried to send an email Barca 2.8 simply pushed the email into its Draft Folder. When I tried to receive an email (by sending from my normal (default) email address - whether I sent this from within Barca 2.8 or from Barca 2.5, I simply got send-failed error log reaction.

I have checked the account settings of these two email addresses and they are exactly the same as used in Barca 2.5, where they work fine. This baffles me completely.
Last edited by jayno on Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby jayno » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:03 pm

Here are the two different Mail Folders I refer to in my previous message Eric.

This is from C drive - programs - Barca 2.5:

This is from F drive - Barca 2.5 backup:

This last screenshot only covers the detail of three of the listed mail folders. I would have to do a much longer screenshot to cover all the folders, but the detail for all the others is pretty much the same anyway.
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 pm

jayno wrote:Hi again Eric and thanks for your latest suggestions.
My pleasure John. ;)
First I opened the Mail Folder in Barca 2.5 on my C drive. Then I opened the Mail Folder in the backup of this version that I had created on my F drive. I don't understand why, but they are different!! The C drive Mail Folder had very few items in it. The backup Mail Folder had all my email folders in it and when I checked inside several of them, they seemed right up to date with the emails within them. (see next message for screenshots)
That one on your C: drive doesn't contain anything, except the folders/files when installing Barca for the first time. :shock:
How is your directory set in Barca 2.5? -> See Tools > Options > Directories
So, I decided to try a variation of something you suggested a few messages ago. I selected and copied the backup Mail Folder then pasted it in to the Barca 2.8 Program Folder I had installed on my F drive, over-writing the specific Mail Folder in that set. [Bear in mind that the Barca 2.8 Mail Folder was created by Exporting from Barca 2.5 in the first place, but this had only inputted emails up to November 2007 - this being the original problem that I came to you with].

Then I closed down Barca 2.5 and ran Barca 2.8. It opened up with all my mail folders and all my emails right up to the present. I then created my normal email account in Barca 2.8 (not by transferring settings from Barca 2.5 but by manually typing in the settings), and I tried sending and receiving emails from/to this address and it worked ... SUCCESS!!!
Good to hear you've made some progress. :)
That 2.8 folder doesn't contain anything, I can only guess that it copied it from your 2.5 installation (barca.ini), which doesn't contain anything either.
However that email account is working and your mail is showing, so that's a big step forward. :P
Not everything is right yet with Barca 2.8 because when I then manually created the two other email accounts I normally use - one for my wife and the other linked to a website of mine - I found that I could neither send nor receive emails to either of these accounts. When I tried to send an email Barca 2.8 simply pushed the email into its Draft Folder. When I tried to receive an email (by sending from my normal (default) email address - whether I sent this from within Barca 2.8 or from Barca 2.5, I simply got send-failed error log reaction.
Since your accounts are working in 2.5, I would suggest the following.
1. Close Barca 2.8
2. Move the accounts.ini file to another location
3. Copy your 2.5 accounts.ini to your 2.8
4. Restart 2.8 and try again.

Does it still put it in Draft or do you get an error? If an error, please post that error you encountered.
Perhaps your firewall blocks it, since it's another Barca version. You should however get an alert of incoming/outgoing connection from your Eset firewall (not the windows firewall), unless ESS is on automatic (making the decisions for you).
Can't think of anything else either! It's been quite a long time that I've used ESS! :?

:idea: Oh, wait a minute ... Check if your windows firewall isn't active in services. If it does, stop and close the service. Reboot afterwards.
Not recommended to run two firewalls.
I have checked the account settings of these two email addresses and they are exactly the same as used in Barca 2.5, where they work fine. This baffles me completely.
If they are the same then they should work.
Perhaps a little error creeped in when typing it.
This last screenshot only covers the detail of three of the listed mail folders. I would have to do a much longer screenshot to cover all the folders, but the detail for all the others is pretty much the same anyway.
No need to post a longer screenshot. It shows what we need to see.

We're coming closer, so hang on a little longer.

Till soon. ;)
Eric

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:50 pm

jayno wrote:Hi again Eric and thanks for your latest suggestions.
My pleasure John. ;)
That one on your C: drive doesn't contain anything, except the folders/files when installing Barca for the first time. :shock:

Good to hear you've made some progress. :)
That 2.8 folder doesn't contain anything, I can only guess that it copied it from your 2.5 installation (barca.ini), which doesn't contain anything either.
However that email account is working and your mail is showing, so that's a big step forward. :P
Since your accounts are working in 2.5, I would suggest the following.
1. Close Barca 2.8
2. Move the accounts.ini file to another location
3. Copy your 2.5 accounts.ini to your 2.8
4. Restart 2.8 and try again.

Does it still put it in Draft or do you get an error? If an error, please post that error you encountered.
Perhaps your firewall blocks it, since it's another Barca version. You should however get an alert of incoming/outgoing connection from your Eset firewall (not the windows firewall), unless ESS is on automatic (making the decisions for you).
Can't think of anything else either! It's been quite a long time that I've used ESS! :?

:idea: Oh, wait a minute ... Check if your windows firewall isn't active in services. If it does, stop and close the service. Reboot afterwards.
Not recommended to run two firewalls.
If they are the same then they should work.
Perhaps a little error creeped in when typing it.
No need to post a longer screenshot. It shows what we need to see.

We're coming closer, so hang on a little longer.

Till soon. ;)
Eric

Postby jayno » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:43 am

Here you are Eric:

:)
Jayno
jayno
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:31 am

jayno wrote:Here you are Eric:

:)
Thanks, you're getting the hang of it. :D
It does point to your Program file folder (default) and not your F: partition, so it's normal you didn't see your mail.

Here's mine, which does point to my D: partition.

Enjoy your weekend. :wink:
Eric

PreviousNext

Return to Barca Help and How-To