[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Read Receipt not working ? [Mod: Resolved]

Read Receipt not working ? [Mod: Resolved]

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Read Receipt not working ? [Mod: Resolved]

Postby Cloudy » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:09 pm

Hello all,

I would like to use "Read Receipt" for certain emails I send.

I understand that they are no guarantee and I've read in the help section of PocoMail (or was it Barca ?) how Poco Systems feels about them which does include some valid points.

However I had some problems in the past where people "claimed" they never got an important email that I'd send them so for these few emails I would like to use the RR option to get a message when the mail is read or opened (since opening a mail doesn't mean it's read of understood).

I've tried the instructions to always ask for RR (I think the help section had something you needed to add to the filters or something) and the manual option, just click the RR button for that specific email but it doesn't seem to work.

I'be been sending email to another email account that I use for testing and I opened them with a client that I'm sure will send a Read Receipt (well to be accurate, it will ASK if I want to send one but I never get that message).

so is this a bug in the software or am I doing something wrong here ?
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:45 pm

Dag Cloudy & welkom op Poco Forums, :D
Cloudy wrote:Hello all,
I would like to use "Read Receipt" for certain emails I send.
I understand that they are no guarantee and I've read in the help section of PocoMail (or was it Barca ?) how Poco Systems feels about them which does include some valid points.
Poco or Barca will never send a Read Receipt as mentionned at Receipt requests.
I've tried the instructions to always ask for RR (I think the help section had something you needed to add to the filters or something) and the manual option, just click the RR button for that specific email but it doesn't seem to work.
No need to add anything to the filters, just create your message and press the RR-button.
You could eventually create a template for that specific use. :)
I'be been sending email to another email account that I use for testing and I opened them with a client that I'm sure will send a Read Receipt (well to be accurate, it will ASK if I want to send one but I never get that message).
What client was it? How is it defined in Options?
I'll have to try it at home to see if Outlook will honor it :?:
so is this a bug in the software or am I doing something wrong here ?
I'm not aware of any bug, so perhaps you did something wrong or else something changed with this new version.

Will let you know the outcome tomorrow. ;)
Eric

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:32 am

Just to let you know that I received the read receipt from Outlook at work.
Outlook however didn't ask me to approve it. :shock:
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:05 am

Eric wrote:Dag Cloudy & welkom op Poco Forums

Thanks, I thought you were Flemish when I saw your avatar :D

Eric wrote:Just to let you know that I received the read receipt from Outlook at work.
Outlook however didn't ask me to approve it. :shock:

Outlook is evil :lol: :lol: :lol:

Anyway Eric, Thanks for the reply.

Hmm, I did a full removal of Barca2 and installed it again (deleted all directories so it was a clean installation) but still RR doesn't seem to work for me. I press the RR button before sending the mail but the client doesn't send a receipt.

The "client" I tried it with is "the Bat!" which like Outlook (Express) doesn't ask permission to send one (but I've set it to ask before sending it and that question never came and it never send a Receipt. I don't know if outlook supports the option to Disable it ? I know that Evolution on Linux didn't support it for a long time because they thought it was an invasion of Privacy which I can understand since it could be used to harvest email addresses for spammers).

Not getting an RR is not a big issue, with some important mails I just add myself to the BCC list to see if the mail was send correctly (with previous programs I frequently had problems with this but I hope Poco/Barca is better).

Oh, that reminds me, I asked them to add me to the Beta group and I have some "feature requests" for future versions (some stuff already available in other programs like the Bat! and thunderbird) like support for the Belgian eID for signing emails (allthough I prefer S/MIME certificates but those are also not supported at the moment).
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:40 am

Cloudy wrote:Thanks, I thought you were Flemish when I saw your avatar :D
How did you guess that ? :lol:
Outlook is evil :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not quite, but I don't like to work with it at work. Out of luck there. :cry:
Anyway Eric, Thanks for the reply.
Graag gedaan hoor! ;)
Hmm, I did a full removal of Barca2 and installed it again (deleted all directories so it was a clean installation) but still RR doesn't seem to work for me. I press the RR button before sending the mail but the client doesn't send a receipt.
Don't think it will help to uninstall. :?

:idea: Are you using Telenet as provider?
If you do, make certain your spam filter is set to show the text in the subject or completely disable it.
When messages are marked as spam, they are automatically deleted, so you won't receive those messages, nor any other message marked as spam.

Go to 'Mijn Telenet' to change your spam filter options, if applicable.
The "client" I tried it with is "the Bat!" which like Outlook (Express) doesn't ask permission to send one (but I've set it to ask before sending it and that question never came and it never send a Receipt. I don't know if outlook supports the option to Disable it ? I know that Evolution on Linux didn't support it for a long time because they thought it was an invasion of Privacy which I can understand since it could be used to harvest email addresses for spammers).
Shoot, don't use The Bat anymore, so I can't verify it. :?
As for Outlook, that's out of my hands. Our ICT set it up, so we can't change certain options. I'll ask anyway, so I do get a pop-up when a read receipt is requested.
In some cases it does come in handy, but I only use it for important emails to customers and suppliers.
Not getting an RR is not a big issue, with some important mails I just add myself to the BCC list to see if the mail was send correctly (with previous programs I frequently had problems with this but I hope Poco/Barca is better).
Just tried another test with CI and it does give an alert when I opened the message received from Barca.

Oh, that reminds me, I asked them to add me to the Beta group and I have some "feature requests" for future versions (some stuff already available in other programs like the Bat! and thunderbird) like support for the Belgian eID for signing emails (allthough I prefer S/MIME certificates but those are also not supported at the moment).
For now there aren't any beta's forthcoming AFAIK.
If you do get accepted, I'll see you in the beta section once the major upgrade will be tested. :D

Nog een fijn weekend en hopelijk wat meer zon. ;)
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:31 am

nope, no Telenet but Skynet (you know from the Terminator Movies :lol: but here it's not Cyberdine but Belgacom that's behind it).

Anyway, it worked before with the Bat! and Thunderbird, also I think the webinterface from my IMAP (anti-spam) service also has RR support (IIRC) and I never had a problem until I tried with Barca/PocoMail.

I don't know what Belgacom does with suspected SPAM messages, but my anti-spam service (spamarrest) puts them in a special folder (unverified) and only deletes those mails after 7 days and I've setup Barca to put suspected SPAM in the Junk folder and I didn't find any read receipts in eighter of those locations.

Oh, I don't know if it matters but I've set it to use plain email messages so no HTML formatting or anything like that (but I guess the RR request is not included into the formatting ?).

As for Outlook, I know Outlook Express was a big problem a few years ago (would run a lot of stuff like Javascript without asking and by default so it was spreading virusses like no other). I don't have Outlook (Office) so I don't know how that works.

I am accepted to the Beta section (they were pretty fast with that so it surprised me) but I didn't see any "feature request" topics there for future versions.
One of the things that would be great is better IMAP support since all my mails are marked unread after installing (I bought MyInfo2Go for a USB-Stick and after configuring and installing all mails were marked as new again in MITG while they were marked as read on my IMAP server) and a sync to sync between laptop and desktop or desktop and MITG would also be nice (not a big problem for IMAP since the mails stay on the server but still a good idea).

Oh, and is it normal that when I export my address book in barca and import in MITG the contact information in incomplete (stuff like birthday is missing).

Anyway, Ik hoop ook dat we meer zon krijgen maar voor zover het eruit ziet zal het weekend wat droger zijn maar vanaf maandag weer regen (net nu ik thuis zit met vakantie :cry: ).

Hmm, that weird !!

Just before hiting "Submit" here I decided to try again (set the Bat! to automatically send the receipt without asking and this time) I did get the receipt so Barca is indeed sending the request correctly but for some reason the bat! decided not to ask me if it should send one (it worked flawless when I send emails with RR request from within the bat and opened them in the bat).

so I guess that problem is solved.

Oh, am I correct that Barca does ask for the RR when you want but it doesn't send one when asked ?
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:07 am

Cloudy wrote:nope, no Telenet but Skynet (you know from the Terminator Movies :lol: but here it's not Cyberdine but Belgacom that's behind it).
LOL, I do know about Skynet.
Great movie BTW.
I don't know what Belgacom does with suspected SPAM messages, but my anti-spam service (spamarrest) puts them in a special folder (unverified) and only deletes those mails after 7 days and I've setup Barca to put suspected SPAM in the Junk folder and I didn't find any read receipts in eighter of those locations.
Don't know either about Belgacom, although I think it will be a bit better then Telenet. New customers don't know a thing about how that spam filter works. Result, lost mails. Including myself a long time ago. :?
Oh, I don't know if it matters but I've set it to use plain email messages so no HTML formatting or anything like that (but I guess the RR request is not included into the formatting ?).
Nope, that shouldn't make any difference. :)
As for Outlook, I know Outlook Express was a big problem a few years ago (would run a lot of stuff like Javascript without asking and by default so it was spreading virusses like no other). I don't have Outlook (Office) so I don't know how that works.
Nowadays it's quite safe, but still I don't like it. They called it LookOut before. :lol:
I am accepted to the Beta section (they were pretty fast with that so it surprised me) but I didn't see any "feature request" topics there for future versions.
Ah, that's good to hear.
Featured requests are noted down. PSI reads posts here and of course requests send to them. For now the beta section is inactive, but as soon as a new beta starts you'll get a message to participate and download the new build. 8)
One of the things that would be great is better IMAP support since all my mails are marked unread after installing (I bought MyInfo2Go for a USB-Stick and after configuring and installing all mails were marked as new again in MITG while they were marked as read on my IMAP server) and a sync to sync between laptop and desktop or desktop and MITG would also be nice (not a big problem for IMAP since the mails stay on the server but still a good idea).
The ever returning question is IMAP, so we'll see what this new version brings us. Don't use IMAP a lot, so for me it's not a big problem. For others it will be a welcomed improvement.
Oh, and is it normal that when I export my address book in barca and import in MITG the contact information in incomplete (stuff like birthday is missing).
How did you export? Which format?
Couldn't you just sync with MITG, so the current one is updated.
Else copy your address book to your MITG.
Just make sure MITG is closed when performing that action.
Anyway, Ik hoop ook dat we meer zon krijgen maar voor zover het eruit ziet zal het weekend wat droger zijn maar vanaf maandag weer regen (net nu ik thuis zit met vakantie :cry: ).
Begin augustus een volledige maand met vakantie, dus hoop ik dat we nog wat goed weer krijgen. 2 jaar geleden had ik 2 weken regen, 1 week zon, zodus weet ik dat het niet aangenaam is. Probeer dan maar eens de kinderen zoet te houden. :roll:

Hmm, that weird !!

Just before hiting "Submit" here I decided to try again (set the Bat! to automatically send the receipt without asking and this time) I did get the receipt so Barca is indeed sending the request correctly but for some reason the bat! decided not to ask me if it should send one (it worked flawless when I send emails with RR request from within the bat and opened them in the bat).
So it does work now. That's great.
Could be a setting in The Bat, since it's filled with options.
You could easily lose your way in there.
so I guess that problem is solved.
Thanks, I'll change the subject of this topic afterwards and move this to the Barca section.
Oh, am I correct that Barca does ask for the RR when you want but it doesn't send one when asked ?
No, Barca nor Poco doesn't ask for anything. It just doesn't send RR's, unless you use the script as mentionned before. :)
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:28 am

Hmm, didn't know they called it LookOut but it's pretty funny.

I used Eudora in the past (payed version) but since Qualcomm decided to seize it's development it's kinda outdated (allthough thery are now working on a free version based on Thunderbird).

I think I'll write-up a topic tomorrow or during the weekend for the BETA section with some feature requests (I guess posting that stuff BEFORE they release the next beta is better since they can try to implement it then before releasing beta's instead of afterwards).

I didn't know MITG would "sync" so I'll have to look at that tomorrow (it's getting late here, but you know that :lol: ) but I did export in LDIF and imported that into MITG (or was it PocoMailPE) but the address book was completely distorted (names were blank and stuff like that).
I also tried CVS and HTML exports but they didn't include all the information eighter.

I'll check my AppData folder tomorrow and see if I can copy the Address book from the Barca to MITG folders (I already tried to restore the Barca backup in MITG but that didn't work well eighter and after the mandatory restart I had to re-enter the account information and stuff like that but maybe that's just because a Barca backup is not compatible with MITG (different version it's based on since PocoMailPE seems to be based on version 3 so a version 4 backup might not be compatible eighter).

Allez, slaapwel (tezij me met de nacht moet werken natuurlijk ;-) dan straks pas).
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:51 pm

Cloudy wrote:I used Eudora in the past (payed version) but since Qualcomm decided to seize it's development it's kinda outdated
Same here, although it was the sponsored version at my work.
(allthough thery are now working on a free version based on Thunderbird).
Working yes, but it's not there yet. :roll:
I didn't know MITG would "sync" so I'll have to look at that tomorrow (it's getting late here, but you know that :lol: )
It does sync, but only from within MITG. :)
but I did export in LDIF and imported that into MITG (or was it PocoMailPE) but the address book was completely distorted (names were blank and stuff like that).
I also tried CVS and HTML exports but they didn't include all the information eighter.
Ah, it could well be that the structure in Barca (current version) changed related to PocoMail PE, so that would explain why it won't work. :?
I'll check my AppData folder tomorrow and see if I can copy the Address book from the Barca to MITG folders
That should work, I think, although I haven't tried it myself yet.
(I already tried to restore the Barca backup in MITG but that didn't work well eighter and after the mandatory restart I had to re-enter the account information and stuff like that but maybe that's just because a Barca backup is not compatible with MITG (different version it's based on since PocoMailPE seems to be based on version 3 so a version 4 backup might not be compatible eighter).
:!: PocoMail PE uses *.idx (= index files) while Poco/Barca (current version) uses *.idb, so that's why it won't work. MITG however should use *.idb.
It's not compatible, unless you remove all *.idx files and let Barca reindex on restart.
Allez, slaapwel (tezij me met de nacht moet werken natuurlijk ;-) dan straks pas).
Bedankt en idem voor jou.
Vannacht moet ik niet werken, enkel 's morgens tussen 8 en 16u. Nog 1 week te gaan en dan

Eric

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks, I found the sync options in MITG, now I only need to make it point to the data folder since Vista puts it in C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Barca2\... and the AppData folder is hidden so you can't just browse to the directory and point to the files.
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:45 pm

Cloudy wrote:Thanks, I found the sync options in MITG, now I only need to make it point to the data folder since Vista puts it in C:\Users\User Name\AppData\Barca2\... and the AppData folder is hidden so you can't just browse to the directory and point to the files.
You're welcome. :wink:

As for your hidden folder you can easily show it by going to Explorer Options and set it to show hidden files/folders too. :)

For me it's always set this way because I also want to see everything. :lol:
Eric

Postby Cloudy » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:55 pm

Yes, I've set vista to always show the hidden files/folders aswell.

but for some reason sync doesn't seem to work very well so I just closed MITG and copied the entire data folder to the USB-stick and that seems to have worked .
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:05 am

Cloudy wrote:Yes, I've set vista to always show the hidden files/folders aswell.
Could be a problem using MITG with Vista. :?
but for some reason sync doesn't seem to work very well so I just closed MITG and copied the entire data folder to the USB-stick and that seems to have worked .
Glad it worked by copying it over.
I guess it's a Vista problem, since MITG hasn't been updated recently. :?
Eric

Return to Barca Help and How-To