[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Unable to delete calendar entries

Unable to delete calendar entries

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Unable to delete calendar entries

Postby Ben » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:25 pm

Have been using Barca 2.8 for about a week. Imported calendar from Outlook but find that I cannot DELETE or correct any entries.
The entry will delete and correct in current session, but when Barca is shut down and later reopened the deleted and corrected entries are back as they were before previous actions.

What might be the reason and fix?

Thanks
Ben
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Cloudy » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:01 pm

Hmm,

This sounds like Barca opens the Outlook calendar to get the data into the calendar but doesn't "edit" it.

I don't use Outlook so I cannot help you. Maybe Eric knows something ?
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:43 am

Hi Ben,

either calendar.dat file is read only, check it using Windows Explorer, select the file, right click and choose properties, and make sure that read-only attribute is not selected.

Or, maybe you are on Windows Vista and your Barca data are stored under Program Files path, ie. where Barca is installed - that's not recommended for Vista. In such case, in Options (through menu Tools > Options), Directories page, there shall be a link to migrate data to Vista compatible directory.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:48 am

Cloudy wrote:I don't use Outlook so I cannot help you. Maybe Eric knows something ?
I only use Outlook at work, so I can't test it. :?

I agree with Tomas post however. :wink:
Eric

Can't delete .....

Postby Ben » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:54 am

Thanks for the replies.
I use XP Pro SP3.
Dat file is not read only.
All files are saved in a directory on a separate drive.

Entries ADDED after the import of the calendar file can be deleted and stay deleted, or edited and stay edited. It is only the entries imported that reappear undeleted and unedited.

When viewing the .dat file in notepad it is very odd that many of the imported entries do NOT appear in the file.

A search of the drives does not reveal any other files where the info might have been saved.

If there are no other ideas it looks are if I should delete the .dat file and manually enter all the old calendar items (a bit of a tedious job).

Thanks
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Can't delete .....

Postby Eric » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:15 am

Ben wrote:Thanks for the replies.
Our pleasure Ben. ;)
Entries ADDED after the import of the calendar file can be deleted and stay deleted, or edited and stay edited. It is only the entries imported that reappear undeleted and unedited.
So it only occurs with entries from Outlook?

:idea: Do have a look at Importing Calendar from Outlook.
When viewing the .dat file in notepad it is very odd that many of the imported entries do NOT appear in the file.
Could be something changed in Outlook which isn't recognized in Barca. Just guessing here.
Anyway using a 3rd party application may get the job done.

It doesn't have to be OutPort, so you could easily use another to transfer your calendar to Barca.

Hope that helps a bit. ;)
Eric

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:28 pm

I forgot that Barca can't import the calendar data directly, which method did you use to import the calendar data?
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

calendar import

Postby Ben » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:31 am

I exported the calender as a .vcs file which Barca could then import.

However, I have now established the reason for being unable to edit and to delete.

It appears that the barca .dat file imported is missing an eventID. number (which appears to be a hexadecimal number?).

By simply entering an arbitrary number, saving the file, then re-opening Barca I could now edit and/or delete the entry. But because I don't know which numbers to enter, adding more event numbers gave unpredictable result where several entries ended up on the same date.

Deleting the entire dat file and reentering the calendar data seems to be the simplest way.

..... unlessw there are other suggestions on how to generate eventID numbers?

Thanks again
Ben
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Sun Aug 02, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi Ben, I don't have any VCS data quickly available for a fast test right now, but so far I was helping with few VCS file imports and don't remember hearing about similar problem. Maybe it might disappear if other converter is used:

http://ical.gutentag.ch/
http://outlook2ical.sourceforge.net/

Or if you don't mind the privacy issues you could submit the vcs file to suppport http://www.pocosystems.com/support/.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Ben » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:18 pm

Thanks Thomas,

I decided to delete the calendar.dat file and just re-enter all appointments (it wasn't that big a file) to make sure everything would work correctly.

I'll give it another couple of weeks of testing and all being well I'll likely pay the license fee.
It has a few quirks but I can live with that and perhaps they can be ironed out in later updates.

Ben
Ben
Drop-in Visitor

Return to Barca Help and How-To