[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Barca on Memory Stick

Barca on Memory Stick

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Barca on Memory Stick

Postby gavinjb » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:44 am

Hi,

I was looking at MITG but it looks like this is no longer being devloped from the info on the product page, does anyone know if any other product is being written or if it Barca can be run from a Memory Stick.

I want to be able to access my EMail from both home and work (via memory stick). My thought is that since I have never had much luck with the Sync in MITG when I played with the trial version I always at best ended up with duplicated data and at worse lost emails, I am looking at accessing the Mail from MyDropBox account which will sync and always have the latest info at both work and home.

Anyone ever tried this?

Gavin,
gavinjb
Frequent Visitor

Postby Cloudy » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:22 am

AFAIK Barca does not run for Memory stick, but I can be wrong.

I didn't know MITG was no longer supported, I've got it on a memory stick but I don't use the sync function.

I do know that PocoMail PE is no longer being developed since PSI gave me a refund on that one but they (Thomas) Didn't mention anything about MITG being discontinued. I do think that he said they were working on a newer version (maybe it's MITG or PocoMail/Barca for memory sticks). Unfortunately I lost the email when my system crashed recently so I can't look it up.

I know other clients (like the Bat! and Chaos Intellect) have a "mobile" version (comes for free with the desktop version) but I don't know ig they sync with the desktop version.
Barca Pro 2.8 | PocoMail 4.8 | myInfoToGo 2.1

"Imagination is more important then knowledge" --Albert Einstein
Cloudy
Frequent Visitor

Postby gavinjb » Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:30 am

Thanks for the reply, I will see if anyone from pocosystems is monitoring the forum and can give any indication on what is happening with MITG.

If you goto the Product page it says at the bottom

"MyInfoToGo is no longer being updated."

see
http://www.pocosystems.com/home/index.p ... &Itemid=71

Update: you don't happen to know if EmailVoyager is the same product with a USB Drive or a different product do you, as there is no mention that this is no longer being developed.
gavinjb
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:06 pm

I run PocoMail off a USB Memory stick when I have to go on the road. I see no reason why it wouldn't work for Barca too.

This is how I do it.

First a few pre-conditions, my OS is Windows XP Pro, so though it should work for Vista and beyond I cannot state that as fact. Second, I have my data folders located on other that the C: drive; specifically D:\PocoData. Third, I am using PocoMail, so with Barca substitute appropriately.

The setup. My USB for the example is F:

1. I copied the C:\Program Files\Pocomail4 firectory and subs over to my USB as F:\Pocomail4.

2. I copied my D:\PocoData folder and subs over to my USB as F:\PocoData. I would think that coping over the data folder and subs regardless of physical location would work too; but I have not tried that.

3. Next you will have to edit the F:\Pocomail4\PocoSystem.ini file and change DataPath under [Program] to reflect the DataPath on the USB. In my case before it was "DataPath=D:\PocoData"; I change it to DataPath=F:\PocoData; e.g.:

[Program]
DataPath=F:\PocoData

4. Open the Pocomail4 folder and run poco.exe, you should be in business.

5. When I get back trip I make a backup copy of my D:\PocoData folder to another location just in case. Then copy my USB PocoData folder back to my computer overwriting over writing the existing one.

Notes:
1. If you use PocoMail's Automatic backup, you might want to turn it off on the USB copy. I don't so it's not an issue for me. If you do you will have to turn it back on again because that setting is stored in poco.ini
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby gavinjb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:59 am

Thanks for the help, it worked.

One thing to note is instead of using DataPath=F:\PocoData in your pocosystem.ini you can use DataPath=\PocoData and then it should work on whichever drive letter the device mounts.
gavinjb
Frequent Visitor

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:51 am

gavinjb wrote:Thanks for the help, it worked.

Great!

One thing to note is instead of using DataPath=F:\PocoData in your pocosystem.ini you can use DataPath=\PocoData and then it should work on whichever drive letter the device mounts.

That's good to know, thanks.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:06 am

Barca works fine from memory stick. The only major problem is that license code is stored in the registry on the computer where you have input your license code, so it might revert to evaluation on other computers, thus become problem on computers where your usage exceeds evaluation period - there you'll have to input the license code again.

> Thomas didn't mention anything about MITG being discontinued.

Maybe it was shortly before the decision was reached. I'm sorry if I didn't mention it to you, I know I was mentioning it to few people I corresponded with around the time. If that's a problem I can fully understand that please just contact me through helpdesk.

The situation with MITG is that it was discontinued as a standalone product, and it shall kind of merged with Barca's next version. There shall even be some kind of upgrade path for MITG users wishing to upgrade to Barca.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to Barca Help and How-To