[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - How to configure Poco for Gmail

How to configure Poco for Gmail

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

checking in...

Postby Isabelle » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:16 am

Thanks, Eric, Chris, and Cloudy.

Cloudy, you are right--a few days ago I noticed that it was showing as (POP) on the top of the IMAP account and and had an aha moment thinking starting from scratch would solve it. Alas, it didn't.

I would like to delete the account.ini file (have backed it up) and start my accounts afresh. Do I follow the "upgrading from an earlier version" directions? Are there any caveats to prevent losing data (in addition to backing up the accounts.ini)? Maybe I'll just back up everything.

I did a test run (deleted the accounts.ini file) and although my folders showed up in the left pane, everything (email, contents of folders, etc.) was missing. Import has the option to import from an earlier version--Poco was a blank slate except for the folders-- and I recreated my main account; so I am assuming that it means import the information I have in my Application Data, PocoMail folders of the same version.

So I put the accounts.ini file back for now... until I know what I am doing.

It's interesting... I have my MailWasher (spam program) set up to retrieve gmail and it seems to have no problem--although just once today it had a problem logging in, which seemed to resolve itself with no further problems.

Really appreciate your help and the time you have put into this. I am learning a lot.
Isabelle
Poco Tourist

Re: checking in...

Postby chrisretusn » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:04 pm

Isabelle wrote:I would like to delete the account.ini file (have backed it up) and start my accounts afresh. Do I follow the "upgrading from an earlier version" directions? Are there any caveats to prevent losing data (in addition to backing up the accounts.ini)? Maybe I'll just back up everything.

That would be a good idea, just in case. You can also use PocoMail to do that, I backup to a folder called PocoBackup on my D: drive, same place my PocoData folder is located. The D: drive also gets backed up every night to another hard drive. That makes it simple to restore data. One caveat on using PocoMail to backup, it does not backup event.ini so if you use the Events feature of PocoMail you will have to copy it over manually.

I did a test run (deleted the accounts.ini file) and although my folders showed up in the left pane, everything (email, contents of folders, etc.) was missing. Import has the option to import from an earlier version--Poco was a blank slate except for the folders-- and I recreated my main account; so I am assuming that it means import the information I have in my Application Data, PocoMail folders of the same version.

Strange. Before I recommended deleting the account.ini file I tried it. Just did it again too. All of my folders, mail was still present. It could be because my data folder is separate from the rest of PocoMail, but then again it shouldn't make any difference as accounts.ini only defines accounts not the location of your data, that's defined in PocoSystem.ini located in Programs/Pocomail4.

On starting PocoMail after renaming the accounts.ini, accounts.ini.back, I got the Welcome to PocoMail screen. I entered my name and e-mail address (for Gmail), then clicked Next. On the next screen I changed the Incoming Server to imap.gmail.com, added @gmail.com to the Incoming Server Username, added my password, changed Incoming Server Is to IMAP and changed SMTP (outgoing) Server to smtp.gmail.com and clicked Finished. At the Import Wizard I clicked Cancel.

After that I went in the that new account and changed the settings to so it would work with Gmail. The first thing I did was select Outgoing and checked 'Use Outgoing Server Authentication' and 'Enable secure connection (SSL)'. Next I switch back to General and checked 'Enable secure connection (SSL)' and checked 'Use same username/password for Outgoing server'. Switch to Incoming and verified all was correct, it was. Switch to Outgoing and verified all was correct. It was.

Reason I did the Outgoing first is because 'Use Outgoing Server Authentication' needs to be checked first before checking 'Use same username/password for Outgoing server' on the Incoming page. Otherwise the data won't fill in.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Pcocmail 4.8xx won't work with Gmail

Postby slandon6717 » Tue Aug 18, 2009 3:50 am

Hi, I have read all of the forum posts on this subject and I have tried everything. I am an IT person that sets up email for clients on a regular basis. No luck with this one. I have a gmail account using IMAP that is on Outlook 2003 and works fine. I have not been able to set up that account on Pocomail and have it work. There is always the timeout error 10060. I logged into Gmail and it is set to allow IMAP - Outlook works fine. ANd yes, I have Outlook closed while I am trying this. Thanks for any help.
Steve
slandon6717
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:18 am

Isabelle wrote:I did a test run (deleted the accounts.ini file) and although my folders showed up in the left pane, everything (email, contents of folders, etc.) was missing. Import has the option to import from an earlier version--Poco was a blank slate except for the folders-- and I recreated my main account; so I am assuming that it means import the information I have in my Application Data, PocoMail folders of the same version.
That shouldn't be happening when deleting only your accounts.ini. :shock:
Your poco.ini contains all your settings, so if that one were deleted, it would explain what your seeing.

:idea: I would suggest to re-install Poco into another directory. Don't import anything yet.
Try it out and if it works as it should, import data from previous install, but don't import your Program preferences and Settings.
It's interesting... I have my MailWasher (spam program) set up to retrieve gmail and it seems to have no problem--although just once today it had a problem logging in, which seemed to resolve itself with no further problems.
Seems to be happening once in a while with Gmail. Nothing to worry about. :)
Really appreciate your help and the time you have put into this. I am learning a lot.
Our pleasure to help you with it and of course by performing all those suggestions you'll learn how it all works. 8)
Eric

Re: Pcocmail 4.8xx won't work with Gmail

Postby Eric » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:28 am

slandon6717 wrote:No luck with this one. I have a gmail account using IMAP that is on Outlook 2003 and works fine. I have not been able to set up that account on Pocomail and have it work.
Weird why it won't work on your end Steve, since it works here quite well. :?
Did you set it up as posted in this thread?
There is always the timeout error 10060. I logged into Gmail and it is set to allow IMAP - Outlook works fine. ANd yes, I have Outlook closed while I am trying this.
That error could mean anything.
Any security software which could block the connection?
Are you using a spam blocker?
If you do, can you increase the time-out?
Same for your antivirus.

Also increase the time-out in Poco under Tools > Options > Advanced > Network settings.

Maybe you could eventually try it on an other PC, if you do have the chance.

Other then this, I don't see anything else for now.
Going to sleep now, so till later. ;)
Eric

checking in...

Postby Isabelle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 8:58 am

Thanks, Eric and Chris. I downloaded the latest version of PocoMail (which I like very much) and set up my accounts and imported all my info. I now have a nice, clean accounts list and am enjoying the bliss of that for a while before I jump into the fray of trying to set up my gmail accounts.

I did set them up in Outlook with no problem--they go out and find the settings for you--and everything is working there. At least I now know it's nothing in my computer/firewall blocking my attempts to configure PocoMail.

Will keep you posted when I try to set up my gmail accounts.

BTW, is there a straightforward way to import PocoMail mail, etc. into Outlook? Can't find one searching the Forum. That would be a last resort and an admission of defeat on my part.

Chris, if you don't mind my asking... did your time in the Navy involve technical computer work?
Isabelle
Poco Tourist

Postby chrisretusn » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Isabelle wrote:Chris, if you don't mind my asking... did your time in the Navy involve technical computer work?

Yes it did. From analog to modern digital. Specialized weapons and radar computers as well as specialized administrative computer systems and shipboard LAN both secure and unsecured.
Chris

PocoMail 4.8.0.4400 running in Slackware64 w/Wine
chrisretusn
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Tomas » Sat Sep 05, 2009 10:27 am

Isabelle wrote:BTW, is there a straightforward way to import PocoMail mail, etc. into Outlook? Can't find one searching the Forum. That would be a last resort and an admission of defeat on my part.

Most straightforward is using third party import tool, all are paid software if I remember correctly.
More cumbersome is exporting messages to .eml files, drag&drop .eml files to Outlook Express, and use Outlook to import from Outlook Express.

(Unfortunately, while most other email clients support import of mbox type of folders, and many including Pocomail even use it as their native format, Outlook is perhaps the only one that doesn't support import of that format.)
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

fyi, here is good link on Google for POP3 client settings

Postby nigeldh » Sun May 02, 2010 12:54 pm

This link has all the POP3 settings in a nice table, also below
mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=13287

1. Enable POP in Gmail. Don't forget to click Save Changes when you're done.
2. Configure your client to match the settings below:
Incoming Mail (POP3) Server - requires SSL: pop.gmail.com
Use SSL: Yes
Port: 995
Outgoing Mail (SMTP) Server - requires TLS or SSL: smtp.gmail.com (use authentication)
Use Authentication: Yes
Port for TLS/STARTTLS: 587
Port for SSL: 465
Account Name: your full email address (including @gmail.com or @your_domain.com)
Email Address: your email address (username@gmail.com or username@your_domain.com)
Password: your Gmail password

Unless you're using recent mode to download mail to multiple clients, make sure you've opted not to leave messages on the server. Your Gmail settings determine whether or not messages stay on the server, so this setting in your client won't affect how Gmail handles your mail.

Please note that if your client does not support SMTP authentication, you won't be able to send mail through your client using your Gmail address.

Also, if you're having trouble sending mail but you've confirmed that encryption is active for SMTP in your mail client, try to configure your SMTP server on a different port: 465 or 587.
3. You're now ready to use POP with your Gmail address.

updated 4/28/2010
nigeldh
Drop-in Visitor

Previous

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To