[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Splash screen, but program won't load

Splash screen, but program won't load

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Splash screen, but program won't load

Postby rebecca11 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 3:19 pm

I don't know what to do. I launch Pocomail. The splash screen will show up, looks like the program is starting, but when the splash screen disappears nothing else is there, Pocomail won't start.

I don't know what to try. It was working fine before this.

I had the same problem several months ago, I could only fix it by reinstalling the program. I have tried reinstalling it this time but nothing changed...splash screen, then nothing. Any ideas? I did try a search but didn't see this problem.
rebecca11
Drop-in Visitor

Never mind

Postby rebecca11 » Mon Sep 14, 2009 4:19 pm

Reinstalled it again and now it's working.

Sure would like to know why it does that, though.
rebecca11
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Never mind

Postby Eric » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:39 am

Hi rebecca11 & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
rebecca11 wrote:Sure would like to know why it does that, though.
Who's to say what's responsible for it?
It could be anything during the installation. :?
Mostly it would be your security which could corrupt the installation or even blocking the startup of applications.

Next time disconnect from the internet, if not behind a router, and perform the installation without security applications running.

FWIW I never had anything like it. Always the installation went without problems and Barca Pro started up immediately. :)

Hope it will work without trouble in the future. ;)
Eric

Postby rebecca11 » Tue Sep 15, 2009 9:04 am

Hi, thanks for your reply. The program was working normally for months and then stopped loading, despite my having changed nothing on the computer in the meantime -- it wasn't immediately after installation.

I always disable my antivirus when I install programs in any case.

After I posted that it was fixed, the problem developed again, after Poco was working fine all day. One minute it's working, next time it doesn't load and then will not load no matter what I do.

I've been using Pocomail for years and I'm pretty sure this problem only began after I upgraded. So I've reinstalled an earlier version and see how long it works. If it happens again then I'll know it's something else with my computer or Vista. Thanks.
rebecca11
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:21 am

rebecca11 wrote:Hi, thanks for your reply.
You're welcome rebecca11. ;)
The program was working normally for months and then stopped loading, despite my having changed nothing on the computer in the meantime -- it wasn't immediately after installation.
Weird, why it won't load at all. :shock:
I always disable my antivirus when I install programs in any case.
Did you stop your firewall too, as well as several background processes which could interfere with the installation?
Disconnect from the internet prior to terminating your firewall.
After I posted that it was fixed, the problem developed again, after Poco was working fine all day. One minute it's working, next time it doesn't load and then will not load no matter what I do.
Pity, since it worked before.
My best guess is that there's something conflicting with Poco, although here I've never seen it.
I've been using Pocomail for years and I'm pretty sure this problem only began after I upgraded. So I've reinstalled an earlier version and see how long it works.
:idea: Maybe it would be best to do a clean install, so not overwriting the previous one.
If all works as it should, perform an import from previous install, but to be on the safe side don't import your Program settings and Preferences.
If it happens again then I'll know it's something else with my computer or Vista. Thanks.
I'm on Vista too, so I don't think Vista would be the culprit.
As I said, try a clean install first to see if that works.

If not, download Process Explorer, so you'll know what's running.

Let me know how it goes. ;)
Eric

Postby rebecca11 » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:05 am

Eric wrote:Weird, why it won't load at all. :shock:

Splash screen, then nothing. It's weird all right.

Did you stop your firewall too, as well as several background processes which could interfere with the installation?
Disconnect from the internet prior to terminating your firewall.
Nothing seems to be interfering with the installation; it installs fine and runs fine, for a while, then won't load. I will follow your advice if it happens again, but a) I'm not sure how my router would cause installation problems and b) for the moment I have downgraded to 4.1 which works fine (and always has, I think.) Which background processes are known for causing problems?
My best guess is that there's something conflicting with Poco, although here I've never seen it.
That's my best guess also. I just don't know what, and why it only causes a conflict after a period of time. My only other idea is that a file is getting corrupted somehow.

If it happens again, I'll try not importing my preferences and settings, but this would be a hellish inconvenience to say the least... if you knew how many things I'd have to reset.

For now, I'm just going to stick with the old version as long as it works. At the moment I'm in the middle of some things where I just need my email program working; I hope to have more time later when I can try reinstalling the new version and troubleshooting. But thanks very much for your suggestions. If this problem occurs again with the old version I will try all the things you advised. I appreciate your help :)

I always hope when I start these threads someone will say "Ah ha! I had exactly the same thing happen and I can tell you what's causing it and how to fix it!" but life ain't always that easy :lol:
rebecca11
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Larry » Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:42 am

I know this thread is old but thought I'd post some recent workarounds. I'm running v4.8 on Vista Home Premium notebook.

I recently installed Kaspersky Internet Security and have had this problem more often. My assumption is it is preventing loading properly (and corrupting a file?).

1. Rather than reinstall I renamed poco.ini to poco.old in \appdata\roaming\Pocomail and restarted PM. PM creates a new poco.ini with it's own default settings. I then fixed the settings to what I like and exited PM. I then made a copy of the new poco.ini for the next time there's a problem. When/if that happens I delete the current poco.ini and copy the renamed poco.xxx to poco.ini and I'm back in business.

2. I've tried restoring from a back up of poco.ini but have for some reason had only limited success. Sometimes it works and sometimes not.

In any case poco.ini seems to be the reason for improper startup on my system.

Hope that helps someone.

Larry
Larry
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To