[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Disable autosave when editing draft messages?

Disable autosave when editing draft messages?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Disable autosave when editing draft messages?

Postby thecastle » Tue Oct 06, 2009 6:46 am

I've not been able to find a workaround to Pocomail destroying my draft messages while I am editing them by overwriting them before I've decided I really needed to close without saving.

This is as close as I've got to a make-or-break situation since "upgrading" from Courier. I absolutely need to be able to close a draft message without saving the changes since opening it.

I'm really hoping the workaround isn't to copy everything to a text editor and do my editing outside of Pocomail.

Can anyone help me? Thanks.
thecastle
New Arrival

Re: Disable autosave when editing draft messages?

Postby Eric » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:28 am

Hi thecastle & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
thecastle wrote:I've not been able to find a workaround to Pocomail destroying my draft messages while I am editing them by overwriting them before I've decided I really needed to close without saving.
Unfortunately you can't close your message without saving the changes.
Answering No will destroy the message. :?
It already happened to me once, so now I'm more prudent.
This is as close as I've got to a make-or-break situation since "upgrading" from Courier. I absolutely need to be able to close a draft message without saving the changes since opening it.

I'm really hoping the workaround isn't to copy everything to a text editor and do my editing outside of Pocomail.
Another work-a-round would be to copy your original Draft message to another folder prior to opening it from within the Draft's folder.
Else I don't see another way at present, unless you want to do the editing outside of Poco.

Hope that helps anyway. ;)
Eric

Postby thecastle » Wed Oct 07, 2009 3:35 am

Eric wrote:Unfortunately you can't close your message without saving the changes.
Answering No will destroy the message.

I'd not even thought about it that far. I was thinking "If I could just disable autosave, I can then decide whether or not to save the message when I close it." If I can't even do that, it's quite pitiful.

Thanks for the "copy to" idea, though. The draft message can be copied to the draft folder itself (it doesn't show up until you go to another folder and back) so I can copy a draft message, edit it, and then delete the one I don't want later. Not neat, but way easier than what I was doing. I just have to remember to do that extra step every time.

That and make additional copies each time I wish to save ongoing changes. Aargh.
thecastle
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:27 am

thecastle wrote:I'd not even thought about it that far. I was thinking "If I could just disable autosave, I can then decide whether or not to save the message when I close it." If I can't even do that, it's quite pitiful.
AFAIK it's hardcoded, so no way to change that behaviour. :?
Thanks for the "copy to" idea, though.
You're welcome thecastle. ;)
It's not exactly what you were looking for, but it's better then nothing at all.

Maybe the next major version will allow you to do just that, although no info yet on what we'll get.
A new engine has been announced, but that's all I know about it :?:
Eric

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To