[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - PocoMail Backup

PocoMail Backup

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

PocoMail Backup

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 5:58 am

Ever since upgrading to PM3 some time ago, I have not been able to do my daily backups. :( I get the error: "Backup failed, please check available space at: C:\Program files\Pocomail3\pocobackup\PocoMail.bak"

I made a copy of this directory and deleted everything in C:\Program files\Pocomail3\pocobackup, but still no luck. I am really interested in Barca, because I am shopping for PIM software, and I love the fact that mail is integrated, but if I can't import/restore, I lose a major feature.

Any ideas?
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby mikecarey » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:00 am

I'm willing to bet that this is a "Read Only" problem on that folder. I just tried setting my backup folder to "Read only" and got exactly that error message.
Mike Carey
mikecarey
Frequent Visitor

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:11 am

Hmmm - I never set anything on it. I just checked the properties and the 'read only' box isn't checked.

I am so frustrated -- my PM3 was really hosed. I finally got everything back except a large MB is now only up to 6/5/04 emails. :(

All I want to do is give Barco a try, but after reading up a bit, I might be just asking for more trouble... :roll:

I cannot get anything to import into Barca -- or "restore" from PM3, or copy directories and ini files from PM3 to Barca.

I have used PM since the early days - end of 1998 I think, and it has been wonderful. I wasn't so happy with PM3, because there are a lot of "extra" MBs that show up and the aforementioned backup problem, but overall, I love PM!
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby mikecarey » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:20 am

Goose wrote:I cannot get anything to import into Barca -- or "restore" from PM3, or copy directories and ini files from PM3 to Barca.

I know you've checked, but this really smacks of a Read Only permission problem. I would go to C:\Program files\Pocomail3 in Explorer, set Read Only (and apply down the directory structure) and then repeat, unsetting Read Only.

Maybe try this utility?

http://www.davidcrowell.com/croa.html

Just in case.
Mike Carey
mikecarey
Frequent Visitor

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:20 am

Goose wrote:I cannot get anything to import into Barca -- or "restore" from PM3, or copy directories and ini files from PM3 to Barca.
:roll: Are you logged in with enough rights (= administrator)? Sounds like you've restricted access.
Has something been changed to your user access rights in Windows?
Eric

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:18 am

I have admin rights. Nothing has changed.

I did as mikecarey suggested (apply 'read only' then set back to having it unchecked).

No luck. As always, the error is "check available space". I used to do a backup on exit with all prior versions, no problem. But I have never been able to get through a backup with V3.0. I have considered going back to the last 2.x version, but don't want to add to my current email woes. (I had an explorer window crash yesterday, unrelated to PM, but whacked PM somehow and have been tweaking to get it all back!)
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby tribble » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:28 am

When all else fails, it's always time to go back to the basics.

1) Open a command prompt (DoS window).
2) enter 'dir' (no quotes)
3) Check the free disk space reported at the bottom. It should say something like "##,###,### bytes free" where "#" is the actual number of bytes. This should be at least twice your backup needs.

4) enter the command: chkdsk c: /f
5) Reboot and allow a full check disk to run.
6) retry backup

If this doesn't correct the problem:

From PM: select Tools -> Options
General Options
Automatic Backup

Change the "Backup to:" to a different drive/folder and try another backup.

Post your results for further tips if necessary.
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Eric » Thu Sep 09, 2004 8:32 am

Goose wrote:I have admin rights. Nothing has changed.
Thanks, I asked because you couldn't copy anything. That's really strange.
:idea: Have you tried already with a clean install?
Compose some messages in it and store them in draft and try to do the backup.
If this doesn't work, I'm sure something got broken in your Windows or HD.
Eric

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:03 am

I will try the DOS stuff later...!

For a quick check, I did try to backup to another directory before, but I just retried to be sure --- still no luck "check disk space" error.

FWIW, I do have the trial of Barca installed with a couple test messages in it. The interface is very similar to PM, not sure how the programming is related, but... I did a full back up in Barca without problems.

That said, I DO have a ton of email volume in my PM. Could it simply be too much data to back up - overflowing some set limit in PM??
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby tribble » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:15 am

Another directory or another drive?
tribble
Poco Enthusiast

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:23 am

Oh... directory. Same drive... :?
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby Alpha » Thu Sep 09, 2004 11:45 am

Goose,

Like Tribble, I think your problem has to do with the availability of the backup directory. The backup feature in PocoMail and Barca work flawlessly.
Alpha

Postby Goose » Thu Sep 09, 2004 12:32 pm

Hmmm

Well, I am not quite sure what you mean by "availability of the backup directory", since I cleared it to... empty and still had the problem. This problem has been here since I installed PM3, it was just after yesterday's glitch that I thought... eeek! better make sure I can backup my email daily. I do tape backups of my hard drive, but not daily.

Barca backup worked perfectly, so not sure what is up.

For now, here is my solution:
Run Barca as my primary client, and checked "leave msgs on server". Then after Barca, go to PM3 and download the msgs for a secondary backup. This way my server won't get clogged up, I can make sure Barca will work for me, and if it doesn't, nothing lost and no messing around trying to move/import/restore msgs back to PM.

I know. I know... kind of taking the lazy way out for the moment, but to tell the truth, I am too enticed by the features of Barca to just let it lie there. :lol:

I will follow up on the DOS command suggestions earlier in this thread though and will report if I find anything.

Thanks!
Goose
Poco Tourist

Postby canary_jules » Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:18 pm

I've got the same problem. I moved from Poco to Barca and have not so far been able to backup in Barca. I get the same message about lack of space and am desperate to sort it out. Any more leads on this one? I mailed support and they said they thought an update could sort it out - which is fine except I have the latest version of Barca.

Jules
canary_jules
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Goose » Tue Sep 14, 2004 2:10 am

Hmmm my problem is the opposite -- never could backup Poco, but so far, so good with Barca. Backs up each time I exit. Never could diagnose the backup problem with Poco.

I did NOT import my huge amount of mail from Poco, just using them side-by-side for now. Barca backup works every time and is quick. Will have to see once the mail amount in Barca is larger.
Goose
Poco Tourist

Next

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To