[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Poco starts and hangs, consumes CPU

Poco starts and hangs, consumes CPU

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Poco starts and hangs, consumes CPU

Postby abreuma » Tue Oct 20, 2009 12:54 pm

Pocomail 4.08.0000.4400. Been using PM since about 2003.

Had the issue where all the messages appear blank. Started the "compress all mailboxes" process. I was watching PM via ProcessExplorer to keep track of what mailbox it was processing. Because I'm an idiot sometimes I chose to cancel the compression when I noticed that compressing the Trash mailbox was going to take forever (the MBX is 4+GB). The compress progress bar went away but PM seemed to hang. No IO and lots of context switches. I killed PM and started it again, but now it comes up, consumes the CPU and is just doing context switches.

Found a forum note about renaming some IN.* files, which I followed. PM compressed IN but then just hang like it had been before.

If I rename poco.ini it comes up and behaves.

I even tried nuking the huge TRASH.MBX and replacing it with a smaller one (an old ~mbx file). No luck.

I'd really like to figure this one out because I suspect if I try setting up PM again after the poco.ini rename that I'm just going to run into the problem again.
abreuma
New Arrival

Postby abreuma » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:45 pm

To answer my own question... After letting PM churn all night I got up this morning and CPU usage was low again. I'm thinking that's a good thing, but when I try to do anything with PM the CPU usage goes high again. The funny thing is that it must have picked up new mail over night.

I booted the machine.

When it came back up PM seemed to be working fine.
abreuma
New Arrival

Re: Poco starts and hangs, consumes CPU

Postby Eric » Wed Oct 21, 2009 8:43 am

abreuma wrote:Started the "compress all mailboxes" process. I was watching PM via ProcessExplorer to keep track of what mailbox it was processing. Because I'm an idiot sometimes I chose to cancel the compression when I noticed that compressing the Trash mailbox was going to take forever (the MBX is 4+GB). The compress progress bar went away but PM seemed to hang.
Better not cancel the compression, since it could corrupt your indexes.
Also compressing your mailboxes removes all previous copied/moved/deleted mails from those mailboxes and also your index files are refreshed. :D
On top of that it reduces the size of those mailboxes and prevents corruption.
No IO and lots of context switches. I killed PM and started it again, but now it comes up, consumes the CPU and is just doing context switches.
Seems it's a result of terminating the compression. Even killing PM could result in corruption. :?
Found a forum note about renaming some IN.* files, which I followed. PM compressed IN but then just hang like it had been before.

If I rename poco.ini it comes up and behaves.
A lot of trouble going on there.
I even tried nuking the huge TRASH.MBX and replacing it with a smaller one (an old ~mbx file). No luck.
If you closed Poco and deleted all related files to Trash.mbx, it would do the trick. On restart a new Trash will appear. 8)
I'd really like to figure this one out because I suspect if I try setting up PM again after the poco.ini rename that I'm just going to run into the problem again.
I would suggest to re-install Poco into another directory.
If all works as it should, import Data from your previous installation.

Hope it will work out OK now.

:!: Remember, never terminate the compression, nor kill Poco when it's executing tasks in the background. ;)
Eric

Postby abreuma » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:20 am

The compression progress bar form has a cancel button in it that seems to work. If canceling the compression causes problems the cancel button shouldn't be there.

Got it fixed though.
abreuma
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Thu Oct 22, 2009 7:35 am

abreuma wrote:The compression progress bar form has a cancel button in it that seems to work. If canceling the compression causes problems the cancel button shouldn't be there.
Cancelling should give no problems :) , although I prefer to let it finish.
Killing Poco while compressing folders will most probably corrupt your indexes.
Got it fixed though.
How did you get it fixed :?:
Someone may have the same problem, so posting your findings will maybe help others.

Glad you got it fixed though. ;)
Eric

Postby abreuma » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:35 am

Eric wrote:How did you get it fixed :?:
Someone may have the same problem, so posting your findings will maybe help others.

See the 2nd post in this thread. Booted the PC.
abreuma
New Arrival

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To