[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Socket Error # 0

Socket Error # 0

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Socket Error # 0

Postby rcrobins » Fri Sep 25, 2009 2:29 pm

I too have been having this problem. But mine does not happen all the time. I would have to say, on the average, I have this problem about once a month. And on any day I have it, it may happen 2 or 3 times during the day. I have 3 email accounts: one through peoplepc and 2 through my current ISP, through 2 different servers. I send and receive through all 3 accounts, though peoplepc is not used as much as the other 2. So, on the average, for 29 days out of the month there is no problem whatsoever. Then all of a sudden, usually for about 10-15 minutes, I cannot send through the 2nd account through my current ISP. The error goes like this:
Sending message (date, time, etc)
Logging into smtpout.secureserver.net server....
Socket error # 0
While this is happening, if there are emails on that server, they will download to me just fine. If I am sending/receiving from the other 2 accounts they are just fine. Courier, which I came to Poco from, also did this, but probably less frequently than Poco.
I have even and gone and logged into the faulting servers webmail portal, with no problem. Once logged in, tried to send to no avail. Just glad it doesn't last that long.
Course, ISP, automatically says it is fault of my email program. Why then has it done it with 2 completely different programs? Strange!
I run Vista, Firefox 3.5.3, Comodo Security Suite, Spyware Terminator, Threatfire, and WinPatrol. Oh, yes, and MailWasher Pro.
My internet connection is a hybrid - radio/wireless from their tower to my radio/antenna to ethernet to computer. I live in the country and dialup out here was terrible - barely state legal. This is a bit more expensive than what in town broadband would be, but it beats the heck of my old dialup.
Anyway, I have this in through email help. Just thought I would post it here and see if anyone had any thoughts.
Thanks in advance
Stop and smell the roses
rcrobins
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Socket Error # 0

Postby Eric » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:36 am

Hi rcrobins & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
rcrobins wrote:I too have been having this problem.
It could be anything.
Starting with your security applications.
I run Vista, Firefox 3.5.3, Comodo Security Suite, Spyware Terminator, Threatfire, and WinPatrol. Oh, yes, and MailWasher Pro.
This could be well one of the causes.
You're running three HIPS applications, namely Defense+, Spyware Terminator, ThreatFire and on top of that WinPatrol. :shock:
If that doesn't cause conflicts then I really don't know.

:idea: One thing to do would be to eliminate some of those applications.
In short I would keep CIS & WinPatrol. :)
If you want an anti-spyware, go for SUPERAntispyware or MalwareBytes 'Anti-Malware. Only one realtime, the other one on demand.

As for Spyware Terminator make sure you didn't install ClamAv, since it could cause conflicts with CIS.

Once done, see if you're still getting that error.

Hope that helps. ;)
Eric

Socket Error # 0

Postby rcrobins » Sat Sep 26, 2009 8:54 am

Well, I don't believe it happens often enough to shut down any of my apps. And it doesn't last long enough to try and turn them off as there are a couple that take stopping services - Threatfire takes turning it of and restarting. I could very easily go 2-3 months without it happening. I was just using the once a month as a "probable" average. If this were happening all the time, I would tend to agree with you, and that would give me the opportunity to take one out at a time, but I never know when its going to happen. And when it only stays that way for 5-15 minutes, that doesn't give you an opportunity to do much testing.
Sometimes when it happens I can hit send 3 times in succession and it will go through. Sometimes I may have to wait for about 10 minutes before it will go. I would think if it were one of the apps it would happen quite more often than that.
I already knew not to install the ClamAV. And I waited until Threatfire took care of their interaction with some AV programs before I installed it. I also use A-Squared Free, but only to scan every couple of weeks or so.
I've been using the internet since 1992 and have only had one bad infection. That was on this laptop the day I bought it. I brought it home, went online to specifically get the Windows updates and before I could finish downloading them I got that "RPC" infection that made you continually reboot. Wound up downloading everything I needed through my desktop, copied to a CD, and "fixed" this laptop.
So, unless it starts happening quite a bit more regularly I will probably stick with my apps. Though I am thinking about disabling the Comodo AV and installing Avira Free.
Stop and smell the roses
rcrobins
Drop-in Visitor

Update on Socket Error # 0

Postby rcrobins » Sun Sep 27, 2009 4:32 am

Last night I started having this problem. I have 2 email addresses through my ISP, through 2 separate mail servers. The "original" goes through the server provided by the ISP - it is not a real secure server and this showed up about 6-8 months ago when it was attacked and took down the whole "system". We were without access of any kind for a couple of days. During this time they made arrangements through GoDaddy and offered "new" email addresses to everyone that wanted them, going through GoDaddy.
So, last night after trying to send my message several times using my "new" address - this is the one that gives the problem all the time, GoDaddy - I switched my sending address back to my "original" address and the message went immediately. After it went, I went and changed the sending address back to the GoDaddy address and it still wouldn't go.
Doesn't that say there is something going on at the GoDaddy server rather than anything on my computer? And I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with my settings since it happens so infrequently????? What say you?
Stop and smell the roses
rcrobins
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Update on Socket Error # 0

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:21 am

rcrobins wrote:Doesn't that say there is something going on at the GoDaddy server rather than anything on my computer?
It sure does. :?
Like I said, that error could be anything. There's no definite cause, so it means to find the culprit.
In your case it's the server.
And I wouldn't think it would have anything to do with my settings since it happens so infrequently????? What say you?
Not with your settings. :)
However it's not advised to run more then one HIPS.
So, unless it starts happening quite a bit more regularly I will probably stick with my apps. Though I am thinking about disabling the Comodo AV and installing Avira Free.
Disabling your AV isn't enough.
:!: If you want to install another, uninstall CIS and install a firewall and Avira. There are still drivers loaded on startup which could conflict with Avira.
The same advice applies to running two software firewalls.
It's one or the other, not both.

I don't want to offend you with my advice. I've seen too many conflicts already on other computers to know what I'm talking about.

I also test security applications, but always in a snapshot.
On top of that images are taken regularly to be sure I don't mess up my system.

In short, your security setup is really an overkill.
There are other ways to secure your computer and it doesn't need to be taking a lot of resources.

That's my advice I can give to you, so it's up to you to take it or leave it. ;)
Eric

Socket Error # 0

Postby rcrobins » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:11 am

And I still say my little test last night shows it isn't my problem. Why would I be able to send through the other ISP email address AND my peoplepc address, but not the one giving the problem.
And I also know that you don't run 2 firewalls. And, I think I can get the startup files taken care of with Autoruns.
We travel in our RV quite a bit and use "wireless" connections quite often. The only trouble I have ever had has been with the one address that won't let me send every once in while. The other 2 have never given a problem with not letting me send.
Stop and smell the roses
rcrobins
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Eric » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:22 am

rcrobins wrote:And I still say my little test last night shows it isn't my problem.
It's not your problem, that's right. :)
Why would I be able to send through the other ISP email address AND my peoplepc address, but not the one giving the problem.
That's something for your ISP to examine.
I can't help you with that. :?
And I also know that you don't run 2 firewalls. And, I think I can get the startup files taken care of with Autoruns.
Use it at your own risk, but make sure to take precautions.
I only can warn you about possible consequences when running two antivirus programs.
Like I said, disabling it won't be enough.
We travel in our RV quite a bit and use "wireless" connections quite often. The only trouble I have ever had has been with the one address that won't let me send every once in while. The other 2 have never given a problem with not letting me send.
Since the other two don't give problems, but only one address does, it would mean there's something wrong with the connection to your ISP.

Only your ISP can answer it or not. :(
Eric

Socket Error # 0

Postby rcrobins » Sun Sep 27, 2009 10:00 am

Yeah, that's kind of what I said!
Stop and smell the roses
rcrobins
Drop-in Visitor

RE: Socket Error # 0

Postby torros » Sat Nov 28, 2009 7:01 am

I am having the same problem:

Logging into smtp.instanet.es server...
Socket Error # 0

The problem appeared few days ago, I did not have it before.

I understand there is nothing one can really do about it.

PS Vista, PocoMail 4.5, ZoneAlarm Pro
torros
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Casey » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:41 am

I am still having sporadic "Socket 0" entries in the log for several email addresses (located on the same server). This is apparently not occurring at email addresses hosted by another provider.

I am looking for a way to redirect the error log to a txt file so that I can examine errors for a larger number of entries than just the few that the program shows.
Casey
Poco Tourist

Postby torros » Wed Sep 12, 2012 7:37 am

I have very similar experience with smtp.instanet.es server - sometimes I get the Socket Error message, sometimes not. I am using version 4.1

t
torros
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To