[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Loss of "Subject" Line functionality

Loss of "Subject" Line functionality

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Loss of "Subject" Line functionality

Postby moose » Thu Oct 29, 2009 3:59 pm

This week I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 and installed a new video driver. Everything seems to be fine except that I have lost my ability to enter information on the "Subject" line of a PocoMail new message grid. Cursor goes into "TO" "BCC" and "CC" lines and information can be entered. I cannot enter cursor at all on "Subject" line. I have deleted this line, shut down Poco and restarted and then added back Subject line. Sill no go. Any suggestions at all? Thanks.
moose
New Arrival

Re: Loss of "Subject" Line functionality

Postby Eric » Sat Oct 31, 2009 10:56 am

Hi moose & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
moose wrote:This week I upgraded my OS to Windows 7 and installed a new video driver. Everything seems to be fine except that I have lost my ability to enter information on the "Subject" line of a PocoMail new message grid.
Which video driver is it?
Else return to the previous one.
If that doesn't change the behaviour, see below.

:idea: Another suggestion to try out:

1. Close Poco first.
2. Rename poco.ini to poco_old.ini
3. Restart Poco now
Prior to renaming that file, it would be best to take screenshots of your Options or noting them down.

Don't have Win 7 yet, so I can't try it out to reproduce your problem. Still on Vista & XP. :?
Eric

I also have the missing subject line function in Windows 7

Postby jsbeddow » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:00 am

I have been using PocoMail since 2002, and this is the first time I've had a major issue with it. I have just installed Windows 7, successfully imported all my mail and settings, but have now discovered the (apparently common) problem of not being able to use the "Subject" line when composing a message. I've tried the two suggested fixes: updated video drivers vs. default installed with Win7 (ATI by the way, in case that gives any clues to anyone), as well as recreate the poco.ini file; all with no success. I've also tried the built in Windows 7 troubleshooting tactics of running in various compatibility modes, and with elevated privileges as administrator. No luck still, so any other ideas? When installing Poco, I went with the suggested option of installing to the (recommended) folders that allow for "roaming" (I think this places the folder structure in a more compatible manner for Vista/Win7).
I really hope some insight is found soon on this, as the program is essentially unusable until this is fixed.
jsbeddow
New Arrival

Re: I also have the missing subject line function in Windows

Postby blakelyg » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:49 am

jsbeddow wrote:I have been using PocoMail since 2002, and this is the first time I've had a major issue with it. I have just installed Windows 7, successfully imported all my mail and settings, but have now discovered the (apparently common) problem of not being able to use the "Subject" line when composing a message. I've tried the two suggested fixes: updated video drivers vs. default installed with Win7 (ATI by the way, in case that gives any clues to anyone), as well as recreate the poco.ini file; all with no success. I've also tried the built in Windows 7 troubleshooting tactics of running in various compatibility modes, and with elevated privileges as administrator. No luck still, so any other ideas? When installing Poco, I went with the suggested option of installing to the (recommended) folders that allow for "roaming" (I think this places the folder structure in a more compatible manner for Vista/Win7).
I really hope some insight is found soon on this, as the program is essentially unusable until this is fixed.

The subject line can be used. Just the cursor does not appear in it. I have the same issue. When I put in the contacts and hit tab or click in the subject line nothing appears. Try typing and the subject characters should appear, I am using Windows 7 as well.
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Windows 7 - Subject Line

Postby Martin Meier » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:03 am

The work round I am using is
1. compose the email
2. save as a draft
3. from the drop down menu:- message > edit stored message > edit subject text.

Its not ideal - but having used Poco / Barca for about 7 years, it has got too much of my life on it to simply abandon.
However, it is the only Windows 7 issue I have found - and am hoping for a patch before too long.
Martin Meier
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:28 am

As blakelyg mentioned, it's a visual glitch only. The line is editable, just the cursor is not blinking.
For some reason it made it through the beta testing.

I talked with Slaven about possibility of a quick fix but it's not that easy, it's in fact some special control that allows some extra tricks and having that replaced would mean quite a bit of work, so the fix will probably appear in next update.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby blakelyg » Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:00 pm

Tomas wrote:As blakelyg mentioned, it's a visual glitch only. The line is editable, just the cursor is not blinking.
For some reason it made it through the beta testing.

I talked with Slaven about possibility of a quick fix but it's not that easy, it's in fact some special control that allows some extra tricks and having that replaced would mean quite a bit of work, so the fix will probably appear in next update.

When Beta testing was done this may not have been an issue. I do not think it was an issue with Windows Vista (at least not that I remember as it did not appear on my machine before I did the WIndows 7 Upgrade) but only with Windows 7 - I know with the release version not sure with the beta versions. Seems to be another item to add to the list for the next release (ver 5.x).
:P

Gord
blakelyg
Resident Poster

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 2:59 pm

Most beta testers were on Vista, but still there were some that had Pocomail running on Windows 7 (various beta and pre-release versions). So yes maybe it was fine with pre-release or it's related to some specific cards which frankly I don't know, but it's fairly spread (if not happening on every install). Either v. 5, or maybe an update to 4, that would be better.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To