[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Paypal confirmation message not formatted correctly

Paypal confirmation message not formatted correctly

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Paypal confirmation message not formatted correctly

Postby yoopits » Fri Jan 01, 2010 5:08 pm

Over the past month or more, when I get a payment confirmation from PayPal, the transaction detail lines are not appearing. They ought to show up in the circled area:

I displayed the message in my browser, and it got formatted correctly. Here is what the transaction details should look like:

Btw, notice that in the first screenshot, the first letter of each line did partially show up all the way to the right.

Is this a bug, or is there something I can do to get these lines to appear correctly?
Last edited by yoopits on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
yoopits
Drop-in Visitor

The problem is in Poco's HTML formatter

Postby yoopits » Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:21 pm

I narrowed down the problem that I reported in the previous message. It seems there is a problem in Poco's HTML formatter (renderer). Here is some sample HTML code that illustrates it:
<table align="left">
<tr><td>abc</td></tr>
</table>
<table style="clear:both;">
<tr><td>xyz</td></tr>
</table>

The first table, with align="left", apparently makes the table float left. Then, in order for the second table to appear below the first (rather than trying to wrap around it), the second table needs "clear:both".

The Paypal message mentioned in my first message contains two tables containing "align" and "style" attributes like in my example. IE and Firefox both treat the above HTML, with align=left and clear:both, just as I described them above -- that's why the Paypal message looks ok in my browser.

As for Pocomail, it's HTML formatter DOES treat the first table as floating, but it doesn't recognize the second table's "clear:both", so the second table ends up at the right of the first, trying to wrap around it. In the message I received from PayPal, the second table contains the order detail lines, which are pushed far to the right, where all but the first letters are completely cut off.

Personally, I think PayPal should just avoid using this crazy HTML behavior. But Pocomail should also fix its HTML formatter.
yoopits
Drop-in Visitor

Re: The problem is in Poco's HTML formatter

Postby Eric » Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:29 pm

yoopits wrote:Personally, I think PayPal should just avoid using this crazy HTML behavior. But Pocomail should also fix its HTML formatter.
Quite right, correct HTML should be used. :?
Poco is quite strict in this area, so incorrect HTML isn't recognized.
A better rendering engine should be present in the next major upgrade.

My best wishes for 2010. ;)
Eric

Postby yoopits » Sun Jan 03, 2010 5:36 am

A better rendering engine should be present in the next major upgrade.

Cool!
It's not easy to keep up with all of the intricate details of HTML behavior. Even the major browsers (especially Internet Explorer) all have idiosyncrasies, gaps, and little bugs.
So let's toast 2010, and hope that a new major upgrade to Pocomail happens before 2011. :P
yoopits
Drop-in Visitor

Postby jbuk » Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:25 am

You could set your Paypal profile to send your messages in plain text to overcome this problem.
jbuk
Resident Poster

Postby yoopits » Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:49 pm

jbuk wrote:You could set your Paypal profile to send your messages in plain text to overcome this problem.

Good Idea. Wish I didn't need to, but I suppose that's what I'll do.
yoopits
Drop-in Visitor

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To