[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Back to Poco after 2 years with TB -- suggestions?

Back to Poco after 2 years with TB -- suggestions?

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Back to Poco after 2 years with TB -- suggestions?

Postby speerga » Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:39 am

I've been using Mozilla Thunderbird for the last two years because, frankly, I got fed up with my inability to get Poco's anti-spam system to work.

Now I've seen the light and decided I'd like to return to Poco. Some issues I don't know how to handle:

1. I'd like to remove the 2-year-old mailbox structure and emails still in my Pocomail install.

2. I'd like to import and use the current email and mailbox structure I have in TB.

Anyone suggest how I can do that with less than 2 weeks of hard labor? :D

No, I doubt it would really take me that long, but I don't really know.

Is there a way to archive or store my present pocomail email so that I can get to it if I wish -- then replace my pocomail setup with the structure I have currently in TB?

Thanks for any and all suggestions.

Gary
speerga
Resident Poster

Re: Back to Poco after 2 years with TB -- suggestions?

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:03 am

Hi Gary,

Welcome back & my best wishes for 2010.
I've moved your question to PocoMail instead of Email Hall, since others can benefit from this topic. :)
speerga wrote:Some issues I don't know how to handle:

1. I'd like to remove the 2-year-old mailbox structure and emails still in my Pocomail install.
Just move that to another location to backup, so you won't lose it.
2. I'd like to import and use the current email and mailbox structure I have in TB.
AFAIK you can move the structure over to Poco. Just rename *.mbox to *.mbx and Poco will re-index those mailboxes.
Just remember to compress your mailboxes from TB first, otherwise all obsolete mail will show up again.
Is there a way to archive or store my present pocomail email so that I can get to it if I wish -- then replace my pocomail setup with the structure I have currently in TB?
See above, it's just the other way to do it.
Or do you've something else in mind.

Let me know if it worked, but make a backup first to be on the safe side. ;)
Eric

Postby speerga » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:01 am

Hi Eric,

Good to hear from you.

The Thunderbird install has mailboxes or folders with such exotic extensions as *.sbd and *.mfs, as well as *.mbx.

There doesn't seem to be any way from within Poco to point the Poco import at the *.mbx boxes?

And when I use the Poco import wizard, I check the box to import email from Thunderbird -- but after about 5 minutes of telling me that it is importing, the wizard screen goes away and nothing that I can see or find has been imported?

Gary
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 05, 2010 8:18 am

speerga wrote:Good to hear from you.
The same for me Gary. ;)
There doesn't seem to be any way from within Poco to point the Poco import at the *.mbx boxes?
You can't point to it, but just close Poco and move the entire structure over. :)
Delete all irrelevant files afterwards, so on restart those *.mbx will be re-indexed.
And when I use the Poco import wizard, I check the box to import email from Thunderbird -- but after about 5 minutes of telling me that it is importing, the wizard screen goes away and nothing that I can see or find has been imported?
Never tried it and besides I don't have TB here to test it out.
Maybe someone else can help you with it. :)
Eric

Postby speerga » Tue Jan 05, 2010 9:37 am

I think I may have figured out a way to make it work.

I deleted all the folders in my pocomail install (AFTER backing them up, of course). Then I compressed folders and closed it.

I compressed Thunderbird folders and closed it.

I opened poco, did the "import" checking the box for Thunderbird.

After about 5 minutes, it appeared that the folder structure from TB appeared in poco, but the folders were empty.

I closed and reopened poco then compressed poco.

The TB mail appears to be there.

Don't know whether that'll help anyone else, but it seems to be a good start for me. (I'm running Windows Vista, BTW.)

Gary
speerga
Resident Poster

Postby Eric » Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:20 am

speerga wrote:I closed and reopened poco then compressed poco.

The TB mail appears to be there.
It's always good to compress folders, so Poco can start with a clean mbx.
Don't know whether that'll help anyone else, but it seems to be a good start for me. (I'm running Windows Vista, BTW.)
It sure will, so thanks for it. :wink:
Eric

Postby speerga » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:58 pm

Just a follow-up on my move back to pocomail:

I discovered that I had about a million -- okay, well, maybe just a couple of dozen or at least less than 100 -- filters set up on pocomail, and that when I imported the Thunderbird mailboxes, many had similar names but not exactly the same names as my original mailbox names in poco.

I deleted the poco mailboxes, so I had to edit each of the filters to put in the new Thunderbird mailbox names. If I missed one, and I got email that activated the filter -- it created a new mailbox named as it was in the filter. As a result, I was getting several near-duplicate mailboxes with only one or two new emails.

So it just spent about an hour or hour and a half going through each filter one-by-one, either changing the mailbox in the filter or in many cases just deleting filters I no longer needed.

It's good in the long run, because now I have things much better organized.

Gary
speerga
Resident Poster

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To