[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Some tiny problems with Barca

Some tiny problems with Barca

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Some tiny problems with Barca

Postby Chip » Thu Nov 26, 2009 12:46 pm

Hi there! I have been a Barca user for years now and I am mostly satisfied with it, but there are some annoyances that bug me. I would like to know if there are workarounds for them...

1) I usually do not use IMAP, but when I do then the next time I check my emails through POP on the same server, all the emails that are in the inbox are downloaded again, even if I got them already from a previous check

2) I cannot type the characters ë, ü, ï in the title of my emails (these are used in German or French), but I can in the body of the message. Very annoying...

3) When I check several accounts at once with the "Check" button, I cannot check for another account at the same time using the arrow on the side of that button. I used to do that with version 2.5, this was very handy -- not possible anymore with version 2.8

4) When I receive html emails, the carriage returns are doubled (that is, every blank line is showed as two blank lines)... also very annoying!

5) When I do a text search through all my emails, I cannot stop the search : clicking on the "cancel" button of the dialog box has no effect at all (although the button is active)

Somebody having solutions for these? Thanks...
Chip
New Arrival

Postby Chip » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:38 pm

Up... anybody having a fix for these problems with Barca / Pocomail?
Chip
New Arrival

Postby carladave » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:09 am

Did you ever get a response on this? I'm curious about question #1 myself.

I haven't visited the board in awhile, but I kinda get the impression from the flavor of several threads that Poco/Barca may be drifting into the software black hole that I've seen happen to other great software app's that just gradually drifted into nothing.

I hope not, I've been a Poco user for over 10 yrs.

Dave
KJV 2 Corinthians 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.
carladave
Drop-in Visitor

Re: Some tiny problems with Barca

Postby robin » Mon Dec 28, 2009 2:41 am

Hi Chip

Chip wrote:1) I usually do not use IMAP, but when I do then the next time I check my emails through POP on the same server, all the emails that are in the inbox are downloaded again, even if I got them already from a previous check

I can't help you with the others, but IMAP works differently to POP3 mail. If you "download" in IMAP you are really only synchronising your local copy to what is on the server - so the mails will not be deleted from the server. You need to use the "Online Tools" on the right-click menu then "Mark to Delete" then "Delete Marked" then "Expunge Deleted"...IMAP only marks them for deletion but doesn't actually delete them.

I only use IMAP to visit my spam folder on my mail server when there is NON-spam that I wish to move to the Inbox.

Use one or other but don't mix them.
robin

Postby Chip » Mon Jan 04, 2010 4:41 am

carladave wrote:Did you ever get a response on this? I'm curious about question #1 myself.

I haven't contacted the support on these issues yet.

carladave wrote:I haven't visited the board in awhile, but I kinda get the impression from the flavor of several threads that Poco/Barca may be drifting into the software black hole that I've seen happen to other great software app's that just gradually drifted into nothing.

I have kind of the same feeling. I hope the version 3 of Barca will prove us wrong!

robin wrote:Use one or other but don't mix them.

Thanks for your answer Robin. I very rarely use remote folders with IMAP because I like to have my email history on my hard disk (this is way faster than with a remote access, I find). But I do in some cases, for example when I have accidentally deleted an email from Barca (I delete my emails on the server only once a week or so, so they are still accessible for a while). I do not know if the subsequent reloading of all emails (including the ones already downloaded on a previous checking) is a behaviour that is specific to Barca.
Chip
New Arrival

Re: Some tiny problems with Barca

Postby Tomas » Wed Jan 13, 2010 11:54 am

Chip wrote:1) I usually do not use IMAP, but when I do then the next time I check my emails through POP on the same server, all the emails that are in the inbox are downloaded again, even if I got them already from a previous check

Is it an IMAP account or POP account? If it's IMAP account, you need to do "expunge deleted" as Robin pointed out.
If it's POP account, you shall do "Delete marked from server", both availabe through menu Folder > Online Tools

2) I cannot type the characters ë, ü, ï in the title of my emails (these are used in German or French), but I can in the body of the message. Very annoying...

I wasn't quite aware of that, yes there's a problem with these. They can be pasted but not typed directly.

Latest version of the development environment in which Pocomail is being programmed comes with full Unicode support, once it is possible to compile Pocomail in it, it shall increase the support of these characters generally (not sure if it applies to this specificially, I took a note of this specific issue and added to bug list for developers to review).

3) When I check several accounts at once with the "Check" button, I cannot check for another account at the same time using the arrow on the side of that button. I used to do that with version 2.5, this was very handy -- not possible anymore with version 2.8

I missed that too ever since this functionality was lost :(. It's still on the bug list.

4) When I receive html emails, the carriage returns are doubled (that is, every blank line is showed as two blank lines)... also very annoying!

That shall be fixed when current viewer is replaced with better one - that's a work in progress but not sure how far away.

5) When I do a text search through all my emails, I cannot stop the search : clicking on the "cancel" button of the dialog box has no effect at all (although the button is active)

Don't remember this being reported, thank you I took a note and will try to replicate and add to bug list if applicable.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To