[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - resizing attach pane

resizing attach pane

Help and advice on using PocoMail

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

resizing attach pane

Postby Sabine2 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:27 am

Hi, I'm new to the Forum.
My name is Sabine and I work as a translator in France. After struggling around for years with other email programs, I came to Poco end of 2007. I loved it from the beginning and I still do :-). However, over the years one will always find some things, he/she wants to see improved. One thing that annoys me a lot is the pre-defined width of the attachments pane. As a translator I receive lots of mails with attachments. Many of them have rather long names and they are only partially visible as of the small pane width. Sure, I can enlarge the attachments pane width that opens with that particular message, but as soon as I jump to another mail with other attachments, it switches back to its pre-defined size.

Is there some possibility to rezise the pane width ? I have tried to modify AttWidth to 300 (default = 200) in the poco.ini, but it has no effect. After re-starting Poco it switches back to 200 anyhow.

Anybody any solution please ?

Thanks in advance

Sabine :D
Sabine2
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi Sabine,

welcome to the forum!

On a quick check, it really seems the attachments pane will auto-resize.

Please try this:
- disable attachments pane (through menu View > Show > Show Attachments Pane)
- if you wish you can additionally use menu Tools > Options, Reading Mail page to set whether you wish to see list of attachments before or after message text.

That way you can see attachments inside the message, without using attachments pane.

Alternatively, you can try to enable the attachments pane but use menu Tools > Customize, Layout tab, choose the third layout option (Vertical index). That will move the attachments pane from sidebar to the bottom of the window, allowing a lot of space for large filename as well.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Sabine2 » Wed Jan 20, 2010 7:16 am

Hi Thomas,

thank you very much for your quick response and your proposals.

I do work with a 22" 16:9 screen which is rather wide but not very high. So the best layout for me is horizontal Index, 1 line per Msg and Landscape Preview. This layout allows me to have about 6 messages shown in the index on the top as well as the Error/Progress log at the bottom and in the message pane there is still sufficient space for the message itself.

Having the attachments shown in the message pane indead is a solution to see the entire file names, but if there are many attachments (and often there are many :-( ) the message itself is not anylonger visible in the pane and disappears via the bottom of the pane. In that case, the content of the message itself must be scrolled and now the list of attachments disappears via the top. Difficult for referencing purposes.
Placing the attachments-list to the bottom is the same problem but the other way around.

Solution nbr 2 is not really an elegant one as the vertical layout you proposed moves the Index pane in the center. It cuts off the colomn descriptions (Received, Sent, Size etc.. are not visible anylonger) and the colomn is very narrow. Also with this layout, the Index colomn shows messages from the top to the bottom of the pane. This, I feel, is "too much of the good".

After all I will give it a try with proposal nbr 1 but why isn't there another, more elegant solution ? Can't be that difficult for the super programmers of the super PocoMail. Can't understand why this only pane is auto resizing and the others do not ?

Maybe something to take into account at the next version or maybe a little tiny patch inbetween ?

Thanks and regards

Sabine
Sabine2
Drop-in Visitor

Postby Tomas » Thu Jan 21, 2010 11:06 am

Sabine2 wrote:Can't understand why this only pane is auto resizing and the others do not ?

I have added it to the wishlist for developers to consider for next update, but I'm sorry I can't promise anything, the wishlist is literally hundreds items long.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Return to PocoMail Help and How-To