[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file [ROOT]/includes/session.php on line 2208: Array to string conversion
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4688: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4690: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4691: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Warning: in file [ROOT]/includes/functions.php on line 4692: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at [ROOT]/includes/functions.php:3823)
Poco Forums • View topic - Lost Inbox emails during backup/restore

Lost Inbox emails during backup/restore

Help and advice on using Barca

Moderators: Eric, Tomas, robin

Lost Inbox emails during backup/restore

Postby Frithjof » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:42 am

Hello

I resently reformatted my computer, as well as upgraded to barca 2.8.

Before i reformatted i backup my files to a new location on a second harddrive.

After the install of windows vista 64, i installed barca 2.8 and did a restore of my new backup.

I come back to my restore and i have lost about 10 months of inbox emails. BUT if i filed them in sub mail boxes or folders, those are all there from the last 10months.

Do you have to empty your inbox completely to do a proper backup? This is the second time this has happened the time before it was only a month lost or so...

When i back up i have all the check boxes "checked" and I created a new folder for the barca back up to go in, not to overwrite an old one.

Thanks for the help, if there is any?
Erik
Frithjof
New Arrival

Re: Lost Inbox emails during backup/restore

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 29, 2010 4:06 am

Hi Erik & welcome to Poco Forums, :D
Frithjof wrote:Do you have to empty your inbox completely to do a proper backup? This is the second time this has happened the time before it was only a month lost or so...
No, you don't have to empty your inbox.
Compressing however helps.
When i back up i have all the check boxes "checked" and I created a new folder for the barca back up to go in, not to overwrite an old one.
Try to compress your folders first.
If that doesn't help, close Barca and delete all *.IDB files.
Restart Barca again so those folders will be reindexed.

It's always best to take precautions by not overwriting your current backup. :)

Hope that helps, if not, let me know. ;)
Eric

Postby Frithjof » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:14 am

Hello Eric

Thanks for the reply.

Where do you want me to delete those files, in my current barca?
or in a barca.bak?

Why would I lose all my INBOX emails from 3/20/09 on, but keep all the emails that i filed into folders or submail boxes.

I installed barca2 on a different HD, so i can test different .bak's i have made in the past. I deleted the .idb files from a copy of my most current backup and it did not add any emails to my inbox that were missing.

Its like it did not backup any emails in my inbox from 3/20/09 to the present.

What is the proper backup routene? Or is this a odd thing?

Thanks
Erik
Frithjof
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:29 am

Frithjof wrote:Hello Eric

Thanks for the reply.
My pleasure Erik. ;)
Where do you want me to delete those files, in my current barca?
or in a barca.bak?
:oops: My bad, I forgot to mention it's in your Mail directory. Delete only those index files = *.IDB
Why would I lose all my INBOX emails from 3/20/09 on, but keep all the emails that i filed into folders or submail boxes.
Don't know, never experienced it.
Could be those index files got corrupted. :?
I installed barca2 on a different HD, so i can test different .bak's i have made in the past. I deleted the .idb files from a copy of my most current backup and it did not add any emails to my inbox that were missing.
So you already did it and it didn't give those mails back.
Its like it did not backup any emails in my inbox from 3/20/09 to the present.
That's most likely what happened, although check to see if it's set in your Options.
What is the proper backup routene? Or is this a odd thing?
Everyone has another routine whether through Barca or some 3rd party app.
For me Barca Pro backs everything up to my D: partition. Once a week an image is made from that partition, as well as from my boot partition. Once a month a full image is made.

I'm sure someone else will have another routine, so that's personal choice.

Have a fine weekend. ;)
Eric

Postby Frithjof » Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:52 am

Eric

The "reading mail" part of options.
It says "default folder for focus" (in)
cache size 500kb

Is it that 500kb is all i am allowed in the "in" box to have as backup? or something?

If i change it to max would that be the cause of the problem?

Thanks
Frithjof
New Arrival

Postby Eric » Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:30 am

Frithjof wrote:Is it that 500kb is all i am allowed in the "in" box to have as backup? or something?
Nope, it has nothing to do with the quantity of messages you can store in your In box.
I see it as the cache needed to display the message properly, including inline images and others.
It's not explained in the Help files, so I'm guessing here. :?
If i change it to max would that be the cause of the problem?
Here it's set at maximum, but I don't think it will change anything in your case. :?

Sorry for the late reply. :? :wink:
Eric

Postby Robert » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:04 pm

Try to compress your folders first.

OMG, compress.... (as i slap myself up beside my head)

- - - begin snip of email - - -
Monday, June 7, 2004
We have received your order for the item(s) below:
Item 1: Quantity:1 Product: 12250000 PocoMail 3.0 Price: USD 39.95
- - - end snip of email - - -

Six years and I never knew compress files was even there.
Goes to show ya how much I pay attention.
Well I might as well do it now.
Wonder how many hours this will take to complete?
Size 1.05 GB, 3,953 files, 332 folders.

hehehe.... I am kinda scared to do it. lol

- - -insert edit - - -
Well it only took 12 minutes to complete everything.
Curious fact though, after compressing everything, now my stats are:
Size 1.54 GB, 4,401 files, 332 folders

What is going on behind the scenes to make it grow over half a Gig, and insert over 400 more files?
Seems counterintuitive to me.
Any thoughts??
Robert
New Arrival

Postby Tomas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:05 am

That might happen if you have the "Retain folder backups when compressing folders" enabled. In that case for every compressed folder (file with .mbx extension) a backup folder (file with .~mbx extension) is created - only for those that needed to be compressed.
Tomas
Tomas
Pillar of the Community

Postby Robert » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:44 am

Ahh yes, exactly what happened.
Thank you for sharing a bit of you knowledge.
Robert
New Arrival

Return to Barca Help and How-To